Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The Bruise" (65 Commander) is a runner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• benaslopoke
    replied
    Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
    Not quite Ben. The term "stove bolt" referred to the earlier Chevy 6. That engine was replaced by the new design 6 that the full line had by 63 (if my memory is correct the first Chevy II had it then it became available in the rest of the lines carrying in line 6 cylinders in 63). Studebaker used the newer design engine.
    Yep brain fade!! I wasn't thinking about the old 216" series engines.. I was referring to the 194", which is related to it's big brothers, 230",250" and 292"(not available to Stude I'm sure)..

Ben

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    Not quite Ben. The term "stove bolt" referred to the earlier Chevy 6. That engine was replaced by the new design 6 that the full line had by 63 (if my memory is correct the first Chevy II had it then it became available in the rest of the lines carrying in line 6 cylinders in 63). Studebaker used the newer design engine.

Leave a comment:

• benaslopoke
    replied
    Learn something everyday.. I was not aware that the Canadian built cars had the stove bolt 6 cylinder engines when everything was moved to Canada.. I knew and have seen the Chevy V8's in them.. I wish I had known that when I was selling GM Targetmaster crate engines..

Leave a comment:

• Steve T
    replied
    Well, the '65 is finally away for the rest of the winter as is the '62. Nice to catch up with so many of the Hamilton Chapter folks at Sunday's Jan meeting/card party. Whoever is interested in driving either car to Badenoch in April, give me a shout...I'm going to try to get that Saturday off work so as to be able to drive one of the two, but I sure can't drive both...

C'mon spring!

S.

Leave a comment:

• 2R5
    replied
    Merry Christmas Steve, don't let those new fenders get all rusty !

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    Ha Ha. Been a while since I drove a Stude in the snow. Enjoy and Merry Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• Steve T
    replied
    Quick update on the '65, the fuel pump was in fact faulty and has now been replaced...just in time for the nasty weather to hit. The car's running well now, and will shortly be taken to storage (as will the '62)...as soon as we get some decent weather. Today, though, seeing as the '65 does have snow tires on it, I drove it a bit, over to my folks' place for our family Christmas celebration, then back over to my place before evening. Here's a pic.

Merry Christmas all!

S.

Leave a comment:

• stephenj
    replied
    I had the same problem in my 50 Champion. I put in an inline filter & solved that problem, I have a spare in the garage for you.

Leave a comment:

• Steve T
    replied
    Yep, and I'll be getting and adding a bit more, as Neal has found a small rad leak. Better safe than sorry.

An update on the car, Neal thought I'd run out of gas, as none was getting to the carb; in fact the car's half-full, I refuelled the same day the car quit in Burlington, so next he thought fuel pump...turns out the problem is neither, but a blocked fuel line. Neal blew it out and the car ran fine...for a bit...then it quit again. I'm guessing there's a lot of crud in the tank and lines from all that static time--well over a year--and it's breaking off and plugging lines now that the car's being run and driven again. I'll keep everyone apprised, of course, but expect the car'll be properly operational again soon.

S.

Leave a comment:

• stephenj
    replied
    No worries about the antifreeze, the rad was in the trunk when I picked up the car! We put in all new antifreeze.

Leave a comment:

• 2R5
    replied
    Steve , make sure you test that antifreeze before the cold gets here!

Leave a comment:

• Steve T
    replied
    Yep, the temp's plummeting right now. With the '65 out of action for the moment I took the '62 out this afternoon for a while instead. Weirdly, the heater in the '62 suddenly works...not really well, but it works! And then I noticed that the steering wheel seems to have centred itself somewhat too. Could the '62 be feeling threatened by the '65...? :-)

S.

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    Good weather for it, today, Steve, but not for long. Cold front's moving in. "They found him there on the plains, his hands froze in the reins. He'd have made it.....but he couldn't leave "old Dan". Jim Reeves - The Blizzard.

Leave a comment:

• Steve T
    replied
    Quick update...the '65 is now legally back on the road, but only briefly so! Got the cert and plates yesterday afternoon, drove the car a bit last evening and today, but she's now back at Neal's shop. Took the car for a wash among a few other errands, and I think a previously-undiscovered leak under the left side of the cowl may have done an injustice to some ignition wiring nearby. Or not. Either way, about forty minutes after I'd had the car at the rustproofers' to book it in for oiling, I was at my workplace in Burlington checking on whether a certain meeting was today (nope), and on my departure from there the '65 stalled and would not restart. Had to holler for a hauler. I expect I won't be driving the '65 again for at least a few days...bummer, as she really is a treat to drive, with even a heater that actually more or less works (unlike the Lark's). Did get pix, of course, including this one of both Studes together over at my parents' place earlier today...

...She'll be sorted and reliable soon enough, just like the Lark. And of course I've got all the way till Spring now, really.

S.

Leave a comment:

• Steve T
    replied
    Just for fun...here's how the '65 might look masquerading as one of the Israeli squad cars from the 1960s...actually the real ones seem to have been blue and white something like an 80s NYPD car, but this black-and-light-blue combo does rather look the part. The car's call number 101 is in tribute to 101 Squadron, Israel's original fighter unit, which flew Avia-Messerschmitts in the late 40s.

I probably could get a jam jar for the roof, but Hamilton's own police department has its own re-created Studebaker squad car, and I think they might object more than a trifle to this Mideast interloper...so this doctored photo is as close as the idea will get to reality!

S.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X