Virginia Title Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia Title Requirements

Does any Virginia person know how to register, in Virginia, an old car sold without a title. One DMV office says you must find last titled owner (most likely impossible) and have him or her sign a bill of sale. Another office says you must have a title. A lot of old cars on Ebay are offered without a title, but rather a bill of sale which seems to be OK in same states. It appears that Virginia requires both title and a bill of sale but getting a straight answer is somewhat difficult. Has any one encountered this issue? I do not want to invest in a car that I do not legally own. Ken, Deltaville Va

I have no idea about Virginia but here in Illinois they have what they call a BONDED title, basically you have to put down 2.5 times the value of the car on a bond of some sort and wait 2 years, if no one comes forward to claim the car you get your money back and a clear title. I myself would NEVER buy a car without a title, you can't even scrap it without a title, unless you cut it up into little tiny pieces. if getting a new title were easy anywhere you wouldn't see so many cars for sale without them. Scott
    Not studes right now

Comment

What year CAR are we talking about??? Until 1955 the engine # was on the title where a VIN would appear in Virginia. In Florida A bill of sale for 1954 and older is all that is required, In Alabama and Georgia NOTERSIED bill of sale up to 1975. I have a 1952 Virginia title for a 4 dr Champion, I got it when I bought the engine for my 52, Good luck, Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by ken-renda View Post
        Does any Virginia person know how to register, in Virginia, an old car sold without a title. One DMV office says you must find last titled owner (most likely impossible) and have him or her sign a bill of sale. Another office says you must have a title. A lot of old cars on Ebay are offered without a title, but rather a bill of sale which seems to be OK in same states. It appears that Virginia requires both title and a bill of sale but getting a straight answer is somewhat difficult. Has any one encountered this issue? I do not want to invest in a car that I do not legally own. Ken, Deltaville Va
        I fought this battle some years ago and didn't win. As you say, no way to find the last titled owner. Sold the '54 Kaiser Manhattan for $100 for parts.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

You might try companies like this...

http://www.broadwaytitle.com/index.htm
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

The regulations outside of Virginia are of no value to the inquiry. Consult your local DMV, seek the advice of in-state restoration shops (maybe White Post has some experience).
            I could tell you what to do in Pennsylvania but...
            You're not in Pennsylvania.

Does anyone in Virginia know how to help Ken?
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I'm in Alabama and can help Ken if he needs a Virginia title, cowl tags and serial plate for a 62 Hawk
              Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              The regulations outside of Virginia are of no value to the inquiry. Consult your local DMV, seek the advice of in-state restoration shops (maybe White Post has some experience).
              I could tell you what to do in Pennsylvania but...
              You're not in Pennsylvania.

Does anyone in Virginia know how to help Ken?
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by ken-renda View Post
                Back in 1998, I purchased my '60 Lark Convertible in Georgia. Georgia did not require titles for cars built prior to 1963. I just found a letter dated 11/23/98 that I wrote to the State of Georgia Motor Vehicle Division that states, ".....My state, Virginia, requires that all vehicles registered in the state have a title. Before the car can be registered in Virginia, the Virginia DMV has requested that I obtain an official letter from the State of Georgia indicating that titles were not required on vehicles of that age. Therefore I am requesting verification of a non-registered title for this vehicle. Enclosed is a copy of the bill of sale, the Georgia registration, and a check for $1, which I understand is the fee for the verification."

It all went well because I have a receipt dated 1/29/99 from the Virginia DMV for $6.50 registration fee, a title fee of $10, and $210 in sales tax. I got a Virginia title and it transferred to Maryland, where I now live. So stick with it, Ken, and if they give you any crap ask to see the regulations governing that particular issue. I know they have them. If you still aren't getting satisfaction, keep going up the bureaucratic chain. Hope this helps

Comment

A 54 Kaiser Manhattan sold for $100 in parts??? YIKES! sell it to a Canadian next time who doesn't need this 'title' thing you speak of...

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                    You might try companies like this...

http://www.broadwaytitle.com/index.htm
                    This company can get you titled. The way it works is you sell them the car with a notorized bill of sale, and they register it in AL. AL does not use titles for older cars, just registrations. Then, they sell it back to you and give you the AL registration, and a notorized bill of sale back to you. You take these docs to your DMV, and since you are purchasing an AL car, your DMV accept these docs and will issue you a title. It is a fairly common practice in the hot rod world, and of course with car thieves. But it works, I've used them and I've done it for a Model A for which I needed a title. There are other companies that do the same thing.
                    Corley

Comment

Working...
                    X