Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    Nice! What's the C.I.?......500?
    It is 500 ci if it is still stock (as far as displacement).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      Congrats! That's the other big, tall, long block. Like the Packard V8, the late Cad also has 5.0" bore spacing and this is where you'll want to look at how things fit on '56Js.

jack vines
      Not really!.....I believe these Caddys are a bit lighter than the old Packard V8....No doubt shorter also.

Comment

I had a 64 Cadu sedan with the 429. Whole lotta azz. 17 MPG average with air on. Light footin' of course. I ain't lion. Oh to have that drive train. cheers jimmijim
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Nice! What's the C.I.?......500?
          I don't have the spec. sheet on the engine yet. The engine was built by a performance Cadillac engine builder in, I think, Milwaukee, Wis. It'll be a week or so before I get the spec. sheet. It did start out as a 400 HP, 455 lb. torque and 500 CI. I suspect it was bored at least .030. You do the math. At the present time all I know is, you can break the rear tires loose anytime you want.
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

It's going to be difficult to keep the 2x4 intake under the hood.
            Yes, I'm afraid I'm going to have to join the 'Hole In The Hood Gang'.

While you're in there, the area needing the most reinforcement is the front crossmember and upper A-arm mounts. Do the factory recommended doubling plate behind the A-arm mounting holes and weld all the junctions where the frame rails and crossmember meet.

With that much torque, the rear springs will need some help. Building your own Cal-Trac bars aren't that difficult, as one of our own demonstrated.

The heavy duty front and rear anti-roll bars Dave Thibault sells would also be on my punch list.

Switch to later kingpins, as the speeds of which your build will be capable will need all the positive caster you can find.

jack vines
            All good suggestions Jack, but everything you mentioned I already had thought of. But I use a mid '80's Cutlass front bat and a Ford Explorer rear bar.
            I have a 9 inch Ford rear end out of a '70 Ranchero that I plan to shorten so that I can run 265-75R15 tires on 10 inch wide wheels on the rear without cutting any sheet metal.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

This makes me wanna have enough cash to take the engine & running gear out of my daily driver -74 Caddy & put it into my Josephine... but I don't, such is life & I'm happy just the same!

Comment

WOW! Sounds like fun.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                  What car is this going into?
                  This car, http://s221.photobucket.com/user/jer...?sort=3&page=1

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                  If you lived closer I have an art morrison roll cage that came with my car, I have no use for it as my car won't make copious amounts of power, and plan to sell it
                  I would love to have the cage. Post some pix of it pleas
                  Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Wow! That Stude sure looks like a real 'sleeper'! Isn't that a Caddy in there now?

Comment

looks good Jerry
                      ive got a 61 390 mated to a t-5 5peed going in my 54......
                      ive got an old wieand 6 carb intake and some strombergs.....to cut that hood or not.....i'm thinking not !

Comment

Originally posted by ed peters View Post
                        looks good Jerry
                        ive got a 61 390 mated to a t-5 5peed going in my 54......
                        ive got an old wieand 6 carb intake and some strombergs.....to cut that hood or not.....i'm thinking not !
                        Don't cut that beautiful stock hood!! It will NEVER look as good as it does right now. (How do You improve on perfection?)

Comment

Wow! That Stude sure looks like a real 'sleeper'! Isn't that a Caddy in there now?
                          I'm afraid it won't be much of a sleeper when it finally hits the streets. My plans are to make it "In yo face nasty lookin".
                          Yes, that's a '76 500CI W/ T400 in there now. that's the engine I WAS gonna use but Nestlehut offered me a deal on his built engine and tranny. I think I'll like having more power. <G>
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Don't cut that beautiful stock hood!! It will NEVER look as good as it does right now. (How do You improve on perfection?)
                            Go ahead and cut the hood. It's only sheet metal and can be put back to original condition in the future if need be. <G>
                            Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

I haven't updated the Photobucket page lately. Here's what Studelac looks like at present.
                              Attached Files
                              Jerry Forrester
                              Forrester's Chrome
                              Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Jerry, I'm with You on the more powerful engine....but there is something 'magic' about a sleeper....they'll never see You coming! And really, when You think about it, there are so many fat tired, chopped up, 'In Your Face' cars out there now....do we really need another one? (just my opinion)

Comment

Working...
                                X