'52 4 door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '52 4 door

Rumor has it that there is a "moving sale and everything must go" in a local smaller town. One of the items is a '52 Studebaker 4 door. Anybody have any idea what a 'reasonable' price for the car might be? I haven't seen it yet to know the condition. Obviously that makes a huge difference in what the price is. Can somebody tell me what a '52 four door is worth in various conditions? Is it a $200 car or a $2000 car in rough shape? Is it a $2000 or $22000 car in good shape? I realize the price range is wide without more info but I'm just trying to get a feel of what is realistic for a '52 sedan. I'm planning on checking it out this weekend but may not have much time to do research as the sale is only 2 days....HELP!

Although there are those that love the 52's, they are some of the least collectable Studes. They are in between the sought after 50-51 bullet noses and the beautiful 53 Cs and Ks. A 52 4 door is probably the least collectable 52 (if it is not a Land Cruiser)

It will make a difference if it is a Champion (6 cylinder) or a Commander (v8), and the trim level (custom, deluxe, regal, state). The biggest factor, however, will be rust. A non running, rusty 4 door Champion Custom probably can't be given away. An original, rust free, running, driving Commander State that needs little or nothing could bring $5k-8k. (IMHO)
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

That is definitely the case, you/we would need a LOT more info and a few Pics to even GUESS an appropriate Price.

Being a 4 Door, it would have to be something rather Special to bring even $1000.00 or more.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Sorry, but I don't see buying vehicles the same way some people do. I bought my first 50 Studebaker three years ago for 2000. It's a four door/170 inch flat head. I've done all the work myself. These cars are amazing. It's worth the money--but---only if you appreciate a good car education and have the time and money to invest. I've learned more in the last three years bringing mine back to original than I had ever thought I would. And now, I can actually say----I know my bullet nose.

Comment

What Dick and Rich said. It has a face only a mother could love...
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

This is the only picture posted so far. They haven't released an address or phone # yet. I'm still trying to figure out where this is. I know the town it's in and the subdivision but I'll have to do some driving around to see if I can find it. Not too familiar with '52s. I think it's a Commander. I'm guessing that back up lights were more common on automatic transmissions. Were ALL Commanders V-8s? Looks like a decent car from this picture. Any advice????

Comment

Yes it does look very decent. All Commanders were V8s, and the trunk shot here shows both the V8 and Commander emblems.
              It is not the longer wheelbase land cruiser, but still appears to be a nicely appointed and well cared for/restored Commander 4 door.
              There isn't much to know about 52's, mechanically they are the same as 51. The grill pieces are heavy pot metal and the original chrome was poorly done.

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                What Dick and Rich said. It has a face only a mother could love...
                Looks like a very solid car from the photos. If it could be bought right, I'd be tempted to transplant a '51 front clip & tail lights (and of course keep all the original parts for the Mother who loves it )
                1996 Impala SS
                1967 Jag XKE FHC
                1963 Avanti R2
                1963 Avanti R1
                1956 Packard Patrician
                1948 Jag Mk IV DHC
                1909 Hupmobile Model 20

Comment

I am not a big supporter of 4 doors, but that is a nice looking car. The 52 design is an acquired taste, but I learned to like their uniqueness. If the chrome is decent. I could happily own that car.
                  sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

A friend here in St. Louis forwarded me the online sale bill last week, but I have since deleted it.

Per the pictures, it is very pretty, and I think said that the front end chrome had already been redone.
                    Otherwise nice looking stock, striped upholstry, that looked to be a worn thru running right to left just back from the front edge of the front seat.

Comment

phone number

is this the one? "Washington Estate & Moving Sale" if it is there is a phone number in the ad "Phone: (309) 678-4178", no pics of the car just this description "1952 Car - Studebaker Commander - 4-dr - Orig. paint & interior - Re-chromed -
                      Rebuilt radio - New fuel pump - 52,000m.
                      Not studes right now

Comment

Originally posted by guyina4x4 View Post
                        is this the one? "Washington Estate & Moving Sale" if it is there is a phone number in the ad "Phone: (309) 678-4178", no pics of the car just this description "1952 Car - Studebaker Commander - 4-dr - Orig. paint & interior - Re-chromed -
                        Rebuilt radio - New fuel pump - 52,000m.
                        That's weird!!! The listing I found had no phone # but had this one picture. I'll have to go back and look again. But, to answer your question, yes that is the same posting for the Washington Estate sale.

Comment

they have several ads all over Peoria craigslist this one has their address in it
                          Last edited by guyina4x4; 09-18-2013, 12:45 AM.
                          Not studes right now

Comment

I think the '52's are gaining a little redemptive respect. The farther we go since Studebaker ended production, and the fewer living folks who remember the frumpy design sandwiched between the iconic bullet-nose and the exciting '53's...the less "dumped on" for the '52. If I had kept count of all the "free" Studebakers that I have been offered over the years...I bet 1952 models would lead the list. I usually turned them down, or stripped what parts I wanted and left the cars where they were. I never brought a '52 home.

In excellent original or restored condition, there is not a more exotic looking 1952 car than the '52 Studebaker Hardtop. Needless to say, no one has ever offered to "give" me one of those. One additional note...any 1952 Studebaker represents their centennial year in business. It would take quite a few years for any other vehicle manufacturer to reach such a milestone.

On value...if the car ignites your automobile passion, and you can buy it without having to do without food, clothes, or comfort...then go for it. That is how "adults" conduct business.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Looks like THAT Washington will NOT work for me!
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X