Report & Photos: 2013 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    Before this year, model years 1955, 1959, and 1960 had never been represented by any make! That's right, all the tri-power 348s and the few fuelie 1959 full-size Chevys have never come out to play, not to mention 360 HP Ford Starliners and such. That is such a shame but, of course, they are "too valuable" (it says here....). BP
    I'd love to represent the '60 model year someday........wonder how a little 225hp F-body would do against the heavy hitters you mention?
    Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

lighten up, guys (and gals)! PSMCD is what it is. plenty of other places to race around the country.
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnys Garage View Post
        I'd love to represent the '60 model year someday........wonder how a little 225hp F-body would do against the heavy hitters you mention?
        Your car had to actually CATCH those bad guys robbing banks with those "heavy hitters"!!!!

Craig

Comment

Too bad Studebaker didnt have these R-3's and R-2s out in force on the drag strips of America in 1963-64. Just think what Grumpy Jenkins could have done with a R-3 Lark or any other racer who could have thrown money at one. But then NHRA would have probably classed it way too high so the Chevy's could win.
          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Thanks for the recap, Bob.
            Your photos are fantastic, considering the speed of your subjects.

That shot of Allen's GT ahead of the Torino is like a guy in a tuxedo outrunning a teenager in a leisure suit!
            Andy
            62 GT

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
              Too bad Studebaker didnt have these R-3's and R-2s out in force on the drag strips of America in 1963-64. Just think what Grumpy Jenkins could have done with a R-3 Lark or any other racer who could have thrown money at one. But then NHRA would have probably classed it way too high so the Chevy's could win.
              Big three competitors and fans would have cried 'Foul', NHRA would have quickly knuckled under and banned superchargers from the stock classes. 'Problem' solved to the pleasing and satisfaction of the majority.

Further development and refinement of the R-4 package would have had a much better chance of surviving such political maneuverings of the rule books.
              Who knows, with a fully developed and refined 340 cid R-4 package, we might now be seeing our Stude hero's breaking into 12's _ unsupercharged.
              Last edited by Jessie J.; 09-17-2013, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Just as building your car is a learning curve, participating in an event like this is, too. After the boys fixed my carb and I took it for a run, I realized that it had never run that good...never. Every little upgrade feels like a new pair of shoes and I had to learn to walk again. In practice runs I found out that the DG200 tranny doesn't want to rev too high to start in first. I tried revving with the brakes on and it started in second. Doh! Then I held the pedal to the mat and the car hit 70 MPH in second but didn't want to shift to third. Learned to listen and let off to allow the tranny to shift. Also learned about staging. In my second run, I hit the pre-stage light and the second light didn't automatically come on. I learned you have 20 seconds to move into position and get staged or you red light. Still, with a crowd like that watching, I had to do something so I floored it and it still went down the track in a straight line. The run tickets tell you a lot about your reaction times, your 60 foot times, your 1/8 mile times and your final MPH. Instant feedback. Luckily the car was so shiny (Peter Sant calls it "Go-fast wax") that it bedazzled and would have been entertaining had anyone been driving. To anyone building an original Stude, I would encourage you to keep at it. And if you get a chance to participate in an event like this, don't hesitate. It's all worth it. The 57 Ford in the pack had a blower! It was a fast car. There was also a 57 Dodge Custom Royal that wanted to participate but didn't pass tech for a lack of seat belts. Pitty. All the cars were gorgeous and it's the nostalgia factor that brings the crowds. Having a goal and getting there...well all the Tony Robbins seminars in the world can't make it happen, but the crew from SDC sure showed me how.
                Last edited by warrlaw1; 09-17-2013, 12:39 PM.
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                  There was also a 57 Dodge Custom Royal that wanted to participate but didn't pass tech for a lack of seat belts. Pitty. All the cars were gorgeous and it's the nostalgia factor that brings the crowds. Having a goal and getting there...well all the Tony Robbins seminars in the world can't make it happen, but the crew from SDC sure showed me how.
                  Actually, Dave; it was a 1958 Dodge Custom Royal with the rare D-500 engine:

Note the tag on the left side of the deck lid:

The D-500 engine had 361 cubic inches and, in this car, was rated at 305 HP with one 4-bbl carburetor. The Super D-500 engine had two 4-bbls and was rated at 320 HP.

The seat belt issue would have prevented it from competing, as Dave says. Also, I didn't see the car there on Friday, so it could not have competed if it showed up for the first time on Saturday, because all cars that compete Saturday must have been there Friday for Tech Inspection. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
                    Thanks for the recap, Bob.
                    Your photos are fantastic, considering the speed of your subjects.

That shot of Allen's GT ahead of the Torino is like a guy in a tuxedo outrunning a teenager in a leisure suit!

I had a great time running against the Ford Torino. Thanks for the great shot Bob! I was paired up against him 3 different times during time trials on Friday while trying to get better reaction times, adding degrees of timing and cooling the Supercharger. I don't think I ever beat him on Friday. Mike the owner of the Torino came up to me after the shoot outs on Saturday and told me that was the best race we had with huge smiles. He was surprised when I told him I posted a 14.668 @ 94.61 on Saturday morning against a Cougar Eliminator showing him the time slip. The pair up was really no surprise to me due the Friday trials. The pair ups are within hundredth of seconds where if I could post slightly better times on Friday I may have been paired up with a different competitor. Next time out I will run with a few changes, 4.27:1 ratio and taller tires. Seems it all comes down to time and money but the experience is worth every penny.

Allen
                    1964 GT Hawk
                    PSMCDR 2014
                    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                    PSMCDR 2013
                    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post

I had a great time running against the Ford Torino. Thanks for the great shot Bob! I was paired up against him 3 different times during time trials on Friday while trying to get better reaction times, adding degrees of timing and cooling the Supercharger. I don't think I ever beat him on Friday.

Mike the owner of the Torino came up to me after the shoot outs on Saturday and told me that was the best race we had with huge smiles. He was surprised when I told him I posted a 14.668 @ 94.61 on Saturday morning against a Cougar Eliminator showing him the time slip. The pair up was really no surprise to me due the Friday trials. The pair ups are within hundredth of seconds where if I could post slightly better times on Friday I may have been paired up with a different competitor. Next time out I will run with a few changes, 4.27:1 ratio and taller tires. Seems it all comes down to time and money but the experience is worth every penny. Allen
                      Allen, check your time slips from Friday's practice and qualification runs. According to my records, your practice run #8 was against that same 1971 Torino. You posted a 14.719 @ 94.83 on that run, whereas the Torino posted a 14.826 @ 91.93.

That doesn't neccessarily mean you beat him, because he could have had a better reaction time that would have overcome your better elapsed time (i.e., you sat at the line longer than he did after the lights went green, and gave him a head start. Of course, the winner is determined by who completes the quarter mile first, assuming they didn't red light, not who posts the fastest ET).

I only record practice / qualification run 1/4-mile ETs and Terminal Speeds for each run, though, so I cannot tell if reaction time played into that loss or win. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        Allen, check your time slips from Friday's practice and qualification runs. According to my records, your practice run #8 was against that same 1971 Torino. You posted a 14.719 @ 94.83 on that run, whereas the Torino posted a 14.826 @ 91.93.

That doesn't neccessarily mean you beat him, because he could have had a better reaction time that would have overcome your better elapsed time (i.e., you sat at the line longer than he did after the lights went green, and gave him a head start. Of course, the winner is determined by who completes the quarter mile first, assuming they didn't red light, not who posts the fastest ET).

I only record practice / qualification run 1/4-mile ETs and Terminal Speeds for each run, though, so I cannot tell if reaction time played into that loss or win. BP
                        Your right Bob, I did take him on Friday. Of the 5 time slips that I have I beat him 3 times, meaning two times on Saturday during the shoot outs and once possibly twice on Friday. I believe one of those slips I raced him as well, but I do not have a time slip due to a screw up at the ET booth. I don't remember who beat who and don't have my time for that one race.

Allen
                        1964 GT Hawk
                        PSMCDR 2014
                        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                        PSMCDR 2013
                        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
                          Your right Bob, I did take him on Friday. Of the 5 time slips that I have I beat him 3 times, meaning two times on Saturday during the shoot outs and once possibly twice on Friday. I believe one of those slips I raced him as well, but I do not have a time slip due to a screw up at the ET booth. I don't remember who beat who and don't have my time for that one race. Allen
                          That explains it, Allen. I remember that you did not get one time slip due to the booth boo-boo. If you remember, I found Mike and the Torino and asked him if he had the slip from that run.

He did have that slip, so I copied the numbers on that run for both you and him, for my records. I remember showing those figures to you, but I don't think you wrote them down. Hence, I have a more complete written record of your Friday runs than you would have, being "short" one time slip.

The missing Friday slip from your run against the Torino must be the one run of three in which you beat him during Friday practice. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                            I just attended the PSMCD's and was wondering the same thing .....but more particularly in regards to that red '63 Plymouth.
                            I well recall that the 426 wedge Plymouth wagons of the early '60s were no slouch on the strip or street.
                            If a 1958 Mercury, a '57 Ford, or a '55 Studebaker President qualifies to compete as being a 'Muscle Car' why not a high performance Plymouth (or Studebaker) wagon?
                            The organizers intent is to use only cars with a "high performance" image. I had approached with a a buddy's 1970 Chevy Nomad wagon with a 396/375 and 4 speed. The drivetrain met the criteria, the body style did NOT. Another had a 1969 Caprice convertible with a 396/325. If it was an Impala, it would have qualified, as the Impala has the performance "image".
                            Frank Remlinger
                            Detroit, Michigan
                            SDC# A004602R

Comment

One of my friends has spectated at the PSMCDR for the last three years. He has owned a mix of muscle cars over the years. Including a 64 GTO, a 66 GTO, a Sunbeam Tiger, and most recently a 1968 Vette and a '95 Mustang GT. When recapping this year's event at work, the car that got him EXCITED the most was the R3 Avanti of the brothers Nemish and Depish Solanki. This guy's eyes just LIT up when talking about the Avanti for the first time this year! A new Studebaker fan is born! A very nice R3 in my opinion too! Was real nice to see all the familiar SDC faces and chatting at Maxfields! Having the two black beauties of Dave's and Allen's was especially a real treat to watch.
                              Frank Remlinger
                              Detroit, Michigan
                              SDC# A004602R

Comment

Originally posted by fastfritz View Post
                                The organizers intent is to use only cars with a "high performance" image. The drivetrain met the criteria, the body style did NOT. Another had a 1969 Caprice convertible with a 396/325. If it was an Impala, it would have qualified, as the Impala has the performance "image".
                                Honest, Frank; they didn't have a Caprice convertible in 1969. 1973 was the first Caprice convertible; might your buddy's have been a 1973? (And even then, it couldn't have been an Impala convertible as an alternate, because the Impala convertible was discontinued at the end of the 1972 model year!)

Anyway, so we can still be friends, here's the photo of your Big Smokey at The 2103 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race:

(Yes, I did slip a photo of Steve Doerschlag's Silver Streak R3 Challenger in there...)

It was good seeing you and Karen...and meeting your Mom! Wow, did she have her hands full! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                                X