No announcement yet.

Some people think they have a gold mine in parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People can ask whatever they want for the parts they own. It's their right.
    If the price isn't to your liking, you can pass on the deal. That's your right.

But you don't have the right to tell other people what they should take for their stuff.

Are we done now?

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

IMOHO, I think the recent crop of reality shows has really messed up the value of cars and car stuff.

Gas Monkey, American Picker's, Pawn Stars, American Restoration, yada yada yada...
      They all base everything on 'profit'. And they base very little on sales effort and marketing.
      The mantra is 'buy it cheap'....'flip it'....'cash in' and run.
      They don't even care if their item du-jour loses money, because their TV revenue fills that gap.
      Short attention span greed...perfect on the half hour TV format.

It is noteworthy that the once scorned Ebay has turned into the value determiner for the rare car parts world.

The evolution of our hobby is not always pretty.
      Jeff
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

But how much of these speculation driven parts will ever make it unto an actual vehicle?
        I know that the NOS still in the original factory packaging Stude parts that I have on hand will lose most of their market value the day that I bolt them onto a car.
        Does it make sense to install a NOS part that would e-bay for $600+ onto a less than pristine vehicle, where it will raise that vehicles market value by maybe 50 bucks?

I have always been into the Studebaker hobby for pleasure. I will not sell to speculators and scavengers.
        These parts will either make it unto someone's Studebaker, or remain with me till my demise.
        In that event, I have instructed my wife and family to gift any remaining Studebaker parts or memorabilia to one of our active and enthusiastic Studebaker acquaintances.
        Last edited by Jessie J.; 09-17-2013, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
          But how much of these speculation driven parts will ever make it unto an actual vehicle?
          I know that the NOS still in the original factory packaging Stude parts that I have on hand will lose most of their market value the day that I bolt them onto a car.
          Does it make sense to install a NOS part that would e-bay for $600+ onto a less than pristine vehicle, where it will raise that vehicles market value by maybe 50 bucks?
          For me, yes if it is a part I want on the car. The money isn't as important to me.
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

That's the way I felt when I purchased these parts. and even today I'd rather give a rare part to someone whose restoration actually needed it, and would USE it, than see it pass into the hands of a speculator or flipper.
            I want to see to it, to the best of my ability, that these parts end up used on Studebaker's that are cherished by their owners. Not simply 'old car dealers', and flippers or speculating hoarders.

Comment

The reason I started this thread was to explain my experience with a person that knows nothing of the Studebaker market. He flipped a '63 GT Hawk to an apparent also know-nothing for what money I am not sure. When he went through the parts he had he was saying how rare this or that was or that this part is a real killer (sorry chrome plated plastic seat adjuster covers are not killer in my book), a pair of repro seat belts that you can get from our vendors for $70 give or take a pair he wanted $250. $100 ea. for a NOS tail light and backup lenses. $1,500 for a GT grill collar, etc. A person needs to do some homework so they just don't look stupid to anyone that knows the market. It would have been easy for him to look up most, not all, of these items on SI website, and some of the others on past ebay auctions. I don't mind folks asking top dollar but ignorance just kills a deal when someone thinks that what they have is gold, and is sometimes fool's gold.
              Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              58 C Cab
              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

The interesting thing to note here is the repeating disconnect between values in the Stude community and those in the "outside world" (if you will).

How many times have we seen someone not intimately involved in the Studebaker "family" ask what we consider to be an outrageous price on a car? We talk amongst ourselves about how a certain vehicle is really only worth so much, when the seller (who knows nothing about Studes except that it is an old, cool looking car), asks 2X that amount, and gets it -- from someone else also not inside the Stude assemblage. In the case of the parts Dan is talking about, the price of NOS parts like that for, say, a '63 T-Bird would be right about in line. And a GT Hawk is at least as cool as a T-Bird

All of which leads me to ask this rhetorical question: is it really the non-conversants who are in the dark on pricing, or is it us insiders who value our cars and parts too lightly?

Disclaimer: I'm playing Devil's advocate here. I like cheap parts as well as anyone. I don't want to see the cost of my hobby go up. I'm just asking this in order to get us thinking.
                Last edited by showbizkid; 09-17-2013, 09:07 AM.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

In many instances Studebaker International sets the market prices since they repro or deal with repro companies and have the largest stock of NOS parts in the business. The other vendors also have some input but SI is the big duck in the small pond for us. Ebay also sets the market on some of the other items that come and go. As sellers we all want top dollar and as buyers we all want it cheap, however, some folks have no idea as sellers or buyers and that is their problem. An informed seller or buyer will always do better than ignorant ones. As always there is inside baseball and everyone else and it will continue to be that way for better or worse.

I think we all have seen what happens when certain items of need are scarce, witness front C/K fenders, but when I went to SI last summer and got some tail area sheet metal pieces for my '57 wagon that I thought would be big bucks and rare, I was surprised at a price of $15 ea, guess what they have quite a few of them and not much demand. Same for Zip Van parts, how many parts are in SI inventory (quite a few actually) and how many are on the road or will be restored (not many). I don't think we as a car mark community are out to lunch on what the market is and should be.
                  Dan White
                  64 R1 GT
                  64 R2 GT
                  58 C Cab
                  57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                    The interesting thing to note here is the repeating disconnect between values in the Stude community and those in the "outside world" (if you will).

How many times have we seen someone not intimately involved in the Studebaker "family" ask what we consider to be an outrageous price on a car? We talk amongst ourselves about how a certain vehicle is really only worth so much, when the seller (who knows nothing about Studes except that it is an old, cool looking car), asks 2X that amount, and gets it -- from someone else also not inside the Stude assemblage. In the case of the parts Dan is talking about, the price of NOS parts like that for, say, a '63 T-Bird would be right about in line. And a GT Hawk is at least as cool as a T-Bird

All of which leads me to ask this rhetorical question: is it really the non-conversants who are in the dark on pricing, or is it us insiders who value our cars and parts too lightly?

Disclaimer: I'm playing Devil's advocate here. I like cheap parts as well as anyone. I don't want to see the cost of my hobby go up. I'm just asking this in order to get us thinking.
                    Great post and worth quoting

As "with it" and "cool" as (I confess) I think I am...I find that the value of parts varies greatly on whether I am "selling"...or "buying!"
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                      As "with it" and "cool" as (I confess) I think I am...I find that the value of parts varies greatly on whether I am "selling"...or "buying!"
                      My (unintentional) approach has always been to buy high and sell low.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post

Interesting point. I have also witnessed examples of this. Maybe the CASO thing has more truth in it than just being a good joke on ourselves.
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                          My (unintentional) approach has always been to buy high and sell low.
                          You and me both!

Comment

I have often said that the biggest devaluation of a Studebaker is the owner. It's actually shocking to see what people think your car is worth. Go on, try it sometime. Take a Lark, wax it and buff it, clean the interior, and take it to a car show. Ask the guys who showed up in Fords and Chevies what they think a guy would pay for a car like that. It's amazing.

After I got my Lark last spring, I had several conversations with people about the car's value, and nobody could believe that I got it under $3000. One guy said it should be robbery to have a car that nice for under $10k.

And it's not all rhetoric. Look at the Studebakers that have escaped the gravitational black hole designated as SDC-CASO and been flung into the orbits of the elite auction world. They've raked in huge bucks. Even closer to home, just about everyone here has heard of a guy who bought a $10,000 Lark, or something similar. And when someone mentions one of those auctions or sales here, the forum bubbles with folks laughing that they were conned out of a lot of money, and the joke is on them.

Or is the joke on us? Studebakers are much more rare than a lot of cars out there, certainly more than any of the big 3. In my opinion as a younger person, they are also every bit as well built, every bit as fun to drive, and every bit as cool as any other car of equal rarity.

Personally, I'm just glad that the Stude world holds prices as low as they do. I couldn't afford a Bel Air or a Fairlane in the same condition as my Lark! For the most part, the parts are more reasonable too!
                            '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I would agree with the car values, they are when compared to other vehicles of similar age from the big 3, often cheap, or how to say it politely, economical. However, owning a '67 Firebird I can tell you that almost the whole car is reproed to the point that parts are relatively cheap and the same goes for many of the popular big 3 cars, Mustangs, Camaros, GTOs, Chargers....... Not all models are so lucky but many are.
                              Dan White
                              64 R1 GT
                              64 R2 GT
                              58 C Cab
                              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

That's true, Dan. I can buy repro parts for my '67 LeMans all day long.

(Except for tissue dispensers. Talk about stuff that people think is made of gold! )

Comment

Working...
                                X