X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LeoH
    replied
    Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    I believe the Stude parts book lists optional saddle tanks (mounted on the frame behind the cab), and a 289 gas engine would not have gone very far with a full load without at least one. If that's an E40, the GVW would have been around 21,000 lbs. My 4E40 has a single aftermarket 40-gallon gas tank in addition to the factory 18-gallon tank. With an empty weight around 7600 lbs, the original owner probably needed it if they were doing more than going out for groceries.

The fender flares were available (maybe mandatory) with the big tires. I think they indicate the 8E40E model, which had a fishplated frame, HD brakes, and more GVW.
    Thanks for the comments about the fender flares, and it absolutely makes sense what you say about any engine needing a large fuel supply with something like the dump truck.

Leave a comment:

• wolfie
    replied
    Some of the trucks were interesting and maybe realistically priced when I called about them. Seems like both bigger trucks were diesel with one having a later Cummins? in it. The dump may be factory diesel. I am unsure of what was what this long after talking with him. I was interested in the Fast Transport which went south quickly but remember thinking one of the bigger trucks was close to being worth going after. Steve
    Last edited by wolfie; 09-17-2013, 12:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wolfie
    replied
    Originally posted by 62champ View Post
    As cool as that '38 one ton is, it would not bring 75K completely restored. Maybe he inadvertently added an extra zero
    From all accounts hes convinced. I called when I saw them the first time and 75K is his price. Steve

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    I believe the Stude parts book lists optional saddle tanks (mounted on the frame behind the cab), and a 289 gas engine would not have gone very far with a full load without at least one. If that's an E40, the GVW would have been around 21,000 lbs. My 4E40 has a single aftermarket 40-gallon gas tank in addition to the factory 18-gallon tank. With an empty weight around 7600 lbs, the original owner probably needed it if they were doing more than going out for groceries.

The fender flares were available (maybe mandatory) with the big tires. I think they indicate the 8E40E model, which had a fishplated frame, HD brakes, and more GVW.

Leave a comment:

• LeoH
    replied
    No worries. I have seen photos of the rare front end like that, but if it wasn't for the ad descriptors and the cab, I wasn't going to quibble with you on the IH ID. It does look like one. 7E/8E series might mean it's still in decent running shape. Lots of mechanicals to go through.
    The saddle tanks lead me to think diesel, but maybe not. The front fender flares are interesting.
    Last edited by LeoH; 09-17-2013, 11:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Originally posted by LeoH View Post
    I assumed that was a Studebaker dump truck. The cab looked Studeish.
    You are right and I am wrong. It's an 7E or 8E-series with the BBC"96 nose. I had wandered off onto another ad and still had that other truck in my mind when I responded. Anyway, the BBC"96 nose was optional on both gas and diesel 7E/8E-Series trucks. Do not have access to my parts books at the moment, but I believe it would have the word DIESEL at the top of the grille if were so equipped. The word Transtar was not used on the diesels.

Leave a comment:

• LeoH
    replied
    The IH Loadstar dump truck was built during the 60s or 70s. It's likely to be a diesel, but gas engines were still available.
    I assumed that was a Studebaker dump truck. The cab looked Studeish.

Leave a comment:

• aarrggh
    replied
    38s are awesome and rare ! He should be asking 75k and a sack of gold for it ..........

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    The IH Loadstar dump truck was built during the 60s or 70s. It's likely to be a diesel, but gas engines were still available.
    I must've missed the IH dump truck~ all I see is a Studebaker!!!
    I do wonder what the price is on that 2R16/17.

StudeDave '57

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Originally posted by LeoH View Post
    How about a history lesson on the dump truck? Would this have a diesel in it?

Leave a comment:

• LeoH
    replied
    37-38, whatever it takes, it sure is in nice original shape. I figured that would be the item he'd try to get top $ for, but no way 75K.

Someone needs to keep a close eye on this character and see if we can outlive him and pick it up then for a more realistic price

How about a history lesson on the dump truck? Would this have a diesel in it?

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
    Skip; You are correct if referring to the '37 models but the Fast Transport truck that he has for sale is a 1938-'40 K series. No Dictator in '38. The '38 Coupe Express is based on the the '38 Commander model 7A chassis. You are correct that there is nothing on the '38 Coupe Express that will interchange with the larger Fast Transport which is on a truck chassis.
    Good point; thanks for catching. I shoulda used the terms Dictator/Commander and J5/K5. As always, haste makes for careless responses.
    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 09-16-2013, 12:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    Originally posted by wolfie View Post
    These have been up for a while now (at least 3 or 4 years). He wants $75,000 for the 38. I quit listening after that. Steve
    As cool as that '38 one ton is, it would not bring 75K completely restored. Maybe he inadvertently added an extra zero

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    The Coupe-Express was built on the Dictator chassis. Very little interchanges between the J5 and the other J-series trucks. See chapter 4 here:
    http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...uckHistory.asp
    Skip; You are correct if referring to the '37 models but the Fast Transport truck that he has for sale is a 1938-'40 K series. No Dictator in '38. The '38 Coupe Express is based on the the '38 Commander model 7A chassis. You are correct that there is nothing on the '38 Coupe Express that will interchange with the larger Fast Transport which is on a truck chassis.

Leave a comment:

• wolfie
    replied
    These have been up for a while now (at least 3 or 4 years). He wants $75,000 for the 38. I quit listening after that. Steve

Leave a comment:

Working...
X