Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trucks galore!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trucks galore!

    Ooooh! http://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/4042746770.html

    The '38 looks sweet, but I've had a few times this year when a dump truck would have been nice to have handy.

  • #2
    What is the difference between a 38 Studebaker truck, and a 38 Coupe Express?? I know the box/front end sheet metal differs, but do the cabs interchange? Did the trucks have real truck frames and the CE more of a car type frame? regardless, I wouldn't mind either. Cheers, Junior
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

    Comment


    • #3
      The Coupe-Express was built on the Dictator chassis. Very little interchanges between the J5 and the other J-series trucks. See chapter 4 here:
      http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...uckHistory.asp
      Skip Lackie

      Comment


      • #4
        Well...only about 2,600 miles from me. Hold on...I'll drive right over! (Good Grief!)

        Thanks for posting anyway. My imagination has enjoyed the exercise!
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

        SDC member since 1975

        Comment


        • #5
          These have been up for a while now (at least 3 or 4 years). He wants $75,000 for the 38. I quit listening after that. Steve
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
            The Coupe-Express was built on the Dictator chassis. Very little interchanges between the J5 and the other J-series trucks. See chapter 4 here:
            http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...uckHistory.asp
            Skip; You are correct if referring to the '37 models but the Fast Transport truck that he has for sale is a 1938-'40 K series. No Dictator in '38. The '38 Coupe Express is based on the the '38 Commander model 7A chassis. You are correct that there is nothing on the '38 Coupe Express that will interchange with the larger Fast Transport which is on a truck chassis.
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wolfie View Post
              These have been up for a while now (at least 3 or 4 years). He wants $75,000 for the 38. I quit listening after that. Steve
              As cool as that '38 one ton is, it would not bring 75K completely restored. Maybe he inadvertently added an extra zero

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                Skip; You are correct if referring to the '37 models but the Fast Transport truck that he has for sale is a 1938-'40 K series. No Dictator in '38. The '38 Coupe Express is based on the the '38 Commander model 7A chassis. You are correct that there is nothing on the '38 Coupe Express that will interchange with the larger Fast Transport which is on a truck chassis.
                Good point; thanks for catching. I shoulda used the terms Dictator/Commander and J5/K5. As always, haste makes for careless responses.
                Last edited by Skip Lackie; 09-16-2013, 01:10 PM.
                Skip Lackie

                Comment


                • #9
                  37-38, whatever it takes, it sure is in nice original shape. I figured that would be the item he'd try to get top $ for, but no way 75K.

                  Someone needs to keep a close eye on this character and see if we can outlive him and pick it up then for a more realistic price

                  How about a history lesson on the dump truck? Would this have a diesel in it?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                    How about a history lesson on the dump truck? Would this have a diesel in it?
                    The IH Loadstar dump truck was built during the 60s or 70s. It's likely to be a diesel, but gas engines were still available.
                    Skip Lackie

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                      The IH Loadstar dump truck was built during the 60s or 70s. It's likely to be a diesel, but gas engines were still available.
                      I must've missed the IH dump truck~ all I see is a Studebaker!!!
                      I do wonder what the price is on that 2R16/17.




                      StudeDave '57
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

                      3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

                      past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

                      past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        38s are awesome and rare ! He should be asking 75k and a sack of gold for it ..........

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                          The IH Loadstar dump truck was built during the 60s or 70s. It's likely to be a diesel, but gas engines were still available.
                          I assumed that was a Studebaker dump truck. The cab looked Studeish.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                            I assumed that was a Studebaker dump truck. The cab looked Studeish.
                            You are right and I am wrong. It's an 7E or 8E-series with the BBC"96 nose. I had wandered off onto another ad and still had that other truck in my mind when I responded. Anyway, the BBC"96 nose was optional on both gas and diesel 7E/8E-Series trucks. Do not have access to my parts books at the moment, but I believe it would have the word DIESEL at the top of the grille if were so equipped. The word Transtar was not used on the diesels.
                            Skip Lackie

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              No worries. I have seen photos of the rare front end like that, but if it wasn't for the ad descriptors and the cab, I wasn't going to quibble with you on the IH ID. It does look like one. 7E/8E series might mean it's still in decent running shape. Lots of mechanicals to go through.
                              The saddle tanks lead me to think diesel, but maybe not. The front fender flares are interesting.
                              Last edited by LeoH; 09-17-2013, 12:40 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X