Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SN-60
    replied
    Now both Hawk auctions seem to have been withdrawn.......Wonder what's up?

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Now the '56 is narrowing the gap!

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    And the '57 leads the '56 by a full length...............................

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    It's BACK!! (on e-bay) And now it looks like it's going head-to-head with the '57 version!
    Last edited by SN-60; 09-21-2013, 05:11 AM. Reason: added '57 comment

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    A Studebaker as nice as this one should probably be entered into one of the larger auto auctions around the country (Mecum?) I realize there would be fees involved, and also shipping charges....but these big auctions seem to definitely attract the 'High Roller' buyers! In a setting like that, this Hawk could end up in the 75-80K range.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    This Hawk was bid to $42,100, which apparently did not meet the seller's reserve.
    Looks like the seller got a little too greedy. Still, its nice to see folks out there appreciate them, but looks like not as much as this seller thought they would

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    This Hawk was bid to $42,100, which apparently did not meet the seller's reserve.

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    Yep, I've learn there is nothing wrong with the Packard V8.

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Originally posted by Swifster View Post
    Yeah Ed, I'm so embarrassed...
    Don't be.....If You've learned something out of all this...that's all that counts. (Now, no doubt, We'll hear Swifster's inevitable wisecrack)

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
    IMHO, the reserve should be no less than $30,000 for that car.

Ed,
    Sorry to hear you had a lemon 56J back in the day, but my blue & white one sits in the garage with over 232,000 miles on it; original motor; bored once, over 150,000 miles ago in the late 1960s, before I bought it. I rebuilt the heads around 130,000 miles ago; rebuilt the block around 90,000 miles ago, and reused the still good .030" OS pistons. Have replaced the lifters twice, oil pump once (Olds upgrade), and timing chain twice.

I have driven it over 150,000; have not heard a lifter since rebuilt 90,000 miles ago. The heads could use another rebuild, but the block is probably good for at least another 100,000. It still gets around 4,000 miles per quart of oil. When I had the oil pan off around 15,000 miles ago to install an Olds oil pump (not needed, just all the kool kids were doing it), the three middle mains looked like they were just breaking in (Mobil 1 since last rebuild).

In comparing the five driver 56Js I've owned and driven for over 200,000 miles since 1985, to the three GTs I have had for around 300,000 miles in same time frame, its six of one & half dozen of the other when it comes to driving & handling. Except GTs have sort of a "Ford" feel, where 56Js have more of a "Buick" feel; hard to explain, but 56Js feel more solid, with a better steering feel (possibly due to the superior Saqinaw PS).

I agree, the UltraMatic is finicky, but there was a guy from Florida who recently placed very well in a long and grueling European road race in an UltraMatic 56J ("1000 Mega Milo" or something similar). I also rebuilt one in the late 1980s that was still on the road last time I talked to the owner a couple years ago.

You said, "ask the man who OWNED one". I say ask the man who OWNS one, because apparently a lot has changed, but I believe they have always been more than up to the task of yesterdecade's, and today's roads and driving needs. Like I said, sorry you had a lemon

Almost forgot, I had a black 56J in high school in the late 1960s. Sure wish I could afford the one on ebay. Talk about a nostalgia kick !
    Joe,..Thank You for relating Your experiences with the '56J model Studebakers. I drove one for six years, (3 spd O/D job), and definitely had some good times in it!! I do believe though that ANY vehicle owned by an enthusiast or mechanic is apt to fare better than one owned by someone who just wants to get from point A to B. (Joe, how many average drivers 'drop the pan' on their vehicles?) The absolute reality of all this talk about the Packard V8 (and the Packard auto trans) is this: The average person who purchased a brand new '55 or '56 Packard was extremely disappointed when they realized that the 50 years of solid engineering reliability they thought they were buying in to turned out to be such an UNRELIABLE automobile. Like I said before.......If S-P only had more time!

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    Yeah Ed, I'm so embarrassed...

Leave a comment:

• Packard8
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeHall View Post

Ed,
    Sorry to hear you had a lemon 56J back in the day, but my blue & white one sits in the garage with over 232,000 miles on it; original motor; bored once, over 150,000 miles ago in the late 1960s, before I bought it. I rebuilt the heads around 130,000 miles ago; rebuilt the block around 90,000 miles ago, and reused the still good .030" OS pistons. Have replaced the lifters twice, oil pump once (Olds upgrade), and timing chain twice.

I have driven it over 150,000; have not heard a lifter since rebuilt 90,000 miles ago. The heads could use another rebuild, but the block is probably good for at least another 100,000. It still gets around 4,000 miles per quart of oil. When I had the oil pan off around 15,000 miles ago to install an Olds oil pump (not needed, just all the kool kids were doing it), the three middle mains looked like they were just breaking in (Mobil 1 since last rebuild).

In comparing the five driver 56Js I've owned and driven for over 200,000 miles since 1985, to the three GTs I have had for around 300,000 miles in same time frame, its six of one & half dozen of the other when it comes to driving & handling. Except GTs have sort of a "Ford" feel, where 56Js have more of a "Buick" feel; hard to explain, but 56Js feel more solid, with a better steering feel (possibly due to the superior Saqinaw PS).

I agree, the UltraMatic is finicky, but there was a guy from Florida who recently placed very well in a long and grueling European road race in an UltraMatic 56J ("1000 Mega Milo" or something similar). I also rebuilt one in the late 1980s that was still on the road last time I talked to the owner a couple years ago.

You said, "ask the man who OWNED one". I say ask the man who OWNS one, because apparently a lot has changed, but I believe they have always been more than up to the task of yesterdecade's, and today's roads and driving needs. Like I said, sorry you had a lemon

Almost forgot, I had a black 56J in high school in the late 1960s. Sure wish I could afford the one on ebay. Talk about a nostalgia kick !
    Thank you Joe for relating your real world and extensive experience. Like you say, "Ask the man who OWNS one"

Cheers,

John

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied

Ed,

Last edited by JoeHall; 09-17-2013, 09:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Now at Twenty Three Nine.......Reserve not yet met! Two days to go!

Leave a comment:

• White Hawk
    replied
    Not the same car: The car on eBay has the radio aerial on the left ft. fender. The Hawk in the post above has the aerial on the rear left fender.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X