Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Owners Manual

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Owners Manual

    Has anyone ever seen an owners manual for a Studebaker printed in any other language than English?

  • #2
    Originally posted by RDWEAVER View Post
    Has anyone ever seen an owners manual for a Studebaker printed in any other language than English?
    Don't know about owners manuals, but the '64 Avanti stuff that I brought from England had the jacking instructions in Spanish. The car was ordered by a London dealer.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes, there were different versions of Owner's Manuals, at least for some of the years. There are also English English and American English versions (I hope that is clear.).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

      SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

      Comment


      • #4
        OK ... that answers one question but raises another. We have an export car we are restoring and the information we got from the Studebaker museum said "owners manual printed in French". I thought it may be a conversation piece so I was wondering how to obtain one of these???

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RDWEAVER View Post
          OK ... that answers one question but raises another. We have an export car we are restoring and the information we got from the Studebaker museum said "owners manual printed in French". I thought it may be a conversation piece so I was wondering how to obtain one of these???
          Try SI. Their predecesor had them.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

          SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by RDWEAVER View Post
            OK ... that answers one question but raises another. We have an export car we are restoring and the information we got from the Studebaker museum said "owners manual printed in French". I thought it may be a conversation piece so I was wondering how to obtain one of these???
            Where was your car sold new? Province of Quebec, Canada? Or in the country of France? You may want to clarify if you want a Canadian market French-language version, or a European market French-language Owner's Guide. I suspect a Canadian market OG will have the Hamilton plant address inside, and the non-North American market version will have the Export Division, South Bend, USA inside.

            Craig

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              Where was your car sold new? Province of Quebec, Canada? Or in the country of France? You may want to clarify if you want a Canadian market French-language version, or a European market French-language Owner's Guide. I suspect a Canadian market OG will have the Hamilton plant address inside, and the non-North American market version will have the Export Division, South Bend, USA inside.

              Craig
              original destination was Paris France. thank you.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RDWEAVER View Post
                original destination was Paris France. thank you.
                Most interesting!! What year and model?

                Craig

                Comment


                • #9
                  Check with Richard Quinn. He's still selling English language export owners manuals.
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

                  Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10,
                  '51 Commander Starlight,
                  '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                  '56 Sky Hawk

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Craig
                    The car is a 1959 Silver Hawk. It also is a v8.
                    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    Most interesting!! What year and model?

                    Craig

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by RDWEAVER View Post
                      Craig
                      The car is a 1959 Silver Hawk. It also is a v8.
                      Have you checked for a Raymond Loewy connection to this Hawk? If not Loewy, it was probably a US businessperson or a US military person. I believe that most of the European Hawks were assembled in Europe (Belgium) and were six cylinder.
                      Only 69% of all 1959 Hawks were V8s and there weren't very many in total.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

                      SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I need an Avanti shop manual in German
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com


                        "Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Gary
                          Not sure how I would check this out. I tried but only got back two owners from me. We bought the car from an estate auction so I did not get to speak to the fella. He had passed away and his daughter only knew that he had purchased the car from a museum. I called them and spoke to the owners wife she told me that too much time had passed since he had purchased the vehicle and besides with the privacy laws today she didn't think she could help me out. That is as far as I got. We are interseted in knowing the history of the car but I am at a loss for a way to record this.
                          Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          Have you checked for a Raymond Loewy connection to this Hawk? If not Loewy, it was probably a US businessperson or a US military person. I believe that most of the European Hawks were assembled in Europe (Belgium) and were six cylinder.
                          Only 69% of all 1959 Hawks were V8s and there weren't very many in total.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It would be interesting to see the build sheet on it. If it states CKD, chances are it was assembled in Belgium.

                            Craig

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              It would be interesting to see the build sheet on it. If it states CKD, chances are it was assembled in Belgium.

                              Craig
                              Craig is correct. Also, if it was built/assembled here and shipped to Paris, the build sheet may give an indication of owner, perhaps for Raymond Loewy. If you do not yet have the build sheet for the car, I recommend getting one from the SNM. It is after Raymond Loewy's contract with Studebaker was up but it may have still been for him or some US business person or government/military person. I knew someone that bought a Hawk in Europe that was assembled in Belgium. It was assembled without fins. Does your have fins?
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

                              SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X