Automotive Closure(GT Hawk)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automotive Closure(GT Hawk)

Well you guys wouldn't believe who I talked to last night. The new owner of a 1963 GT Hawk 289/4 speed white in color.
    A couple weeks back I was cruising through riverside and was astonished to see a lack of GT Hawk sitting behind a fence. I assumed the worst. I figured for whatever reason the car was sold for parts or scrapped. I kept thinking of it and I couldn't put it out my head. So I posted a craigslist figuring after everything I had to find out the end of it's story. I got tons of spam, and one real email from a guy who said he bought it's front bumper and grill and that as far as he knew the car was now scrapped. I asked for info but never really got it. I decided by the crude tone of emails that he was pulling my leg based on the concern I expressed in my ad.......really funny. I had pretty much given up on finding out the real story and let the ad almost lapse and leave the front page of craigslist. Then when I opened my email last night I spotted a reply the simply read "Tony" with a number to call. I promptly grabbed the phone and called the number hoping it wasn't another hoax. A women answered I asked if Tony was there and she said yes here he is. The insuing phone has brought my automotive heart a great deal of peace. Turns out he was riding with the Omaha antique motorcyle club on his 57 Harley, and saw the car. He couldn't stop thinking about it and decided he must own it. So he found the owner Made him an offer and brought it home. He pulled up the carpet and I guess condition is not as bad I thought. Needs Driver side floor pans,rockers,hog troughs, and likely some other body work here and there like the rear fenders. This guy has already restored two 40's caddys so he is no novice. He has already rebuilt the brakes, installed an edlebrock, and replaced radiator. He is having keys made but should be ready for first start up this Friday or so. Obviously this car is and was too much for me, but it won't rot waiting for someone to love it again, it'll be driving again this year even if I didn't buy it. And the new owner has the cash to get it finished. He said I can come up and hear it run anytime..........

I wonder if this is the same guy from Omaha who tried to buy my GT Hawk several weeks ago at a car show. His name is Tony Monico. Said he wanted to buy a black 62 GT with a 4 speed like mine. I did not have the GT at that show but he still was interested in purchasing it.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Well, it's nice to hear that the car went to a good home!

Some people get the bug for a certain car, and no amount of common sense or money will stop them. I still think you were wise to pass on it for the price, but to someone with the money, skills, and time, anything is possible.

'Sorta reminds me of a conversation I had this week. A guy asked me if my car was for sale. I told him "everything's for sale, you just couldn't afford my price"
      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
        I wonder if this is the same guy from Omaha who tried to buy my GT Hawk several weeks ago at a car show. His name is Tony Monico. Said he wanted to buy a black 62 GT with a 4 speed like mine. I did not have the GT at that show but he still was interested in purchasing it.
        Yes it is. He said he had talked to you, and met you already.

Comment

'Sorta reminds me of a conversation I had this week. A guy asked me if my car was for sale. I told him "everything's for sale, you just couldn't afford my price"
          Never bet on that. Some people have so much money they just don't care and are so macho, they'll buy it just to show you who's got more. A friend had a car he'd owned since he was 14 and said he'd never sell it. At a local show, he was with his buddies and a guy kept bugging him to name his price, "Come on, how much would it take to buy your car?" My friend finally quoted a price he thought was certainly high enough to scare the guy off. The guy said, "You're sure, now? That's what you'll take? OK, then. Sold! Here's a thousand deposit. I'll be down with the rest and pick it up tomorrow."

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            Never bet on that. Some people have so much money they just don't care and are so macho, they'll buy it just to show you who's got more. A friend had a car he'd owned since he was 14 and said he'd never sell it. At a local show, he was with his buddies and a guy kept bugging him to name his price, "Come on, how much would it take to buy your car?" My friend finally quoted a price he thought was certainly high enough to scare the guy off. The guy said, "You're sure, now? That's what you'll take? OK, then. Sold! Here's a thousand deposit. I'll be down with the rest and pick it up tomorrow."

jack vines
            If that had been me, and I had had the car since . was 14 I still would have told the guy no.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

jack vines
              If he had asked, and then agreed to pay the price I was going to toss out, I'd have gladly sold it on the spot and bought 4 or 5 just like it
              '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Working...
              X