Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bezhawk
    replied
    If I post a personal opinion that someones personal take on a car doesn't jibe with mine, that's fine by me. It's just my one opinion. I don't have to like every Stude modified or not.
    I will never say, however, that that one persons vision is wrong or that they should not enjoy the hobby in their own way. I will never presume my beliefs upon another. IT. IS. WRONG!

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
    I'm just tired of folks rippin' other folks.
    I'm not only tired of it, I just flat don't understand it.

Here in Studebaker land, we have a pretty small slice of the old car hobby. When you look at that slice the way MOST here practice the hobby (stockers), it is a tiny, tiny slice. Why do we think that everyone else in the hobby is wrong and we are the only ones doing it right and having fun? What joy is there in posting a car you don't like (there seems to be an endless supply), then having bunches of others pile on...each negative comment attempting to top the last?

I certainly don't like every car out there (new or vintage), but if someone else is having fun with a car I'm not crazy about at a car show, it's OK with me. I walk on by it. I don't feel the need to stop, find the owner, and give him a piece of my mind for doing something that I wouldn't do. Plenty of cars there that do attract me.

For those that dislike 50's radical customs like this one, don't limit your distaste for these cars here, slide on over to the H.A.M.B. and post your feelings about that part of the hobby there. So far, 8,000,000 posts on the subject from 221,000 members. A much bigger audience that you can let know exactly how you feel. Everyone likes the same things you like (or should)...right?

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    I'm just tired of folks rippin' other folks. I would love to see a whole day go by where everyone played nicely together, but I don't think it'll ever happen.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    If one takes a good look at back-issues of Hop-Up magazines from the 1950's, one would see many contemporary cars customized similar to this project. It wouldn't hurt for whoever buys this project to look over 50's era customs in period magazines to create a retro-fifties custom.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• 63avanti.
    replied
    Being a studebaker "fan" it sucks to see a fairly decent car taken apart. But I don't see much reason to criticize people's imagination. Granted his end result is not what you or I would like to see. But oh we'll... We don't have to buy it. I have criticized people's work before but life's to short to complain. If people didn't attempt to try we wouldn't see cars like the tucker or maybe even the design of the bulletnose studes.

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Well said Bob, Thank You!

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Wow. Hope the builder, who has hundreds of hours in planning and building this car and is probably very proud of his work, doesn't look at this forum! I'm sure he would really be glad to join after seeing all the asinine comments.

I can see it now: this owner finds out there's an SDC. Then, he finds out there's a Club meet nearby. He thinks, "Hey, there's a group of people who love their Studebaker the same as I! I think I'll go see if I can make some new friends!" So he shows up, sets up a chair, dusts off his creation, and waits with a broad smile to meet people.

But then, here come the cranks from this thread. They walk up, and he gets out of his chair and starts to extend his hand... But then he hears them sneering and taking cheap shots at his work. Here he thought folks would appreciate all his hard work, but instead they're pointing and laughing derisively. Heartbroken, he slips behind the wheel and slinks away from the meet, with a permanent negative impression of Studebaker people.

Well, why WOULDN'T that happen? If you'll ridicule something that isn't exactly how you like it here, certainly you'll do it to their face, right?

Sometimes this forum makes me chuckle. Tear down somebody's car and hard work all you want, that's great... But by God, nobody better try to help somebody correct even the tiniest spelling or grammar flaw!! Everybody will jump to the rescue! LOL

Brilliant logic.

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Corley,....I'm afraid that You are just an unhappy person looking for an argument.....Go bother someone else...will You PLEASE??

Leave a comment:

• Corley
    replied
    Again, removed by poster as this should have been in a PM to SN-60, not in the forum... My apologies to all.
    Last edited by Corley; 09-15-2013, 02:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Originally posted by Packard8 View Post
    That would be like complimenting Dr. Frankenstein for his creation....a lot of hard work and "It's ALIVE!!!"... I think not. Too bad that no one was there to say "Put down the crack pipe and back away slowly".....
    "A critic is a man who knows the way, but can't drive the car"......Tynan

Leave a comment:

• mmagic
    replied
    After sleeping over this attempt at 4 wheel art my conclusion:

Sacrilegious
    Blasphemous to the cult
    Consequential reaction to an abusive childhood ?
    Same iron sculptor who did the Blue Horse at DIA?
    Praise of effort in this case is extension of every kid deserves a ribbon mentality.
    Effort <> Success
    Didn't like tail dragers without wings in 1955 and I don't like them today.
    Fail

Leave a comment:

• GThawkwind
    replied
    Originally posted by Corley View Post
    Nope, no confusion here. Using "complimented" in the same paragraph, let alone the same sentence with that build is just not right. Part of "creating" a look is creating something that is pleasing to the eye. This one came out all wrong, regardless of the effort, and the builder should have recognized that his work was not turning out well, and changed the plan. There is a little bit off, and there is a lot off. This one was way way WAY off... It just looks hideous, and the builder, being the designer, is responsible.

Should I "compliment" you if you do a good job of robing a bank or killing your neighbor? I think not. He did put a lot of misguided effort into that atrocity, but should NOT be complimented for it. Acknowledged, yes, complimented NO.

But again, JMHO...
    Depends on the neighbor, I might compliment mines killer

If not deserving of compliment, aren't you at least impressed(in one way or another)? Maybe not his work(although I like aspects of it) but his skill deserves compliment.

Leave a comment:

• Packard8
    replied
    Originally posted by Corley View Post
    Should I "compliment" you if you do a good job of robing a bank or killing your neighbor? I think not. He did put a lot of misguided effort into that atrocity, but should NOT be complimented for it. Acknowledged, yes, complimented NO. But again, JMHO...
    That would be like complimenting Dr. Frankenstein for his creation....a lot of hard work and "It's ALIVE!!!"... I think not. Too bad that no one was there to say "Put down the crack pipe and back away slowly".....

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Corley, This custom came out all wrong....IN YOUR OPINION. The builder should DEFINITELY be complemented for what was no doubt a lot of hard work...(a fact)...and that's MY OPINION!! 'Nuff Said!

Leave a comment:

• Corley
    replied
    Removed by poster due to not belonging in the forum, should have been a personal message to SN-60.

My apology to all...
    Last edited by Corley; 09-15-2013, 02:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X