Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1946 M-15 Rear Bumper Info needed

Hi Guys!
    I have a 46 1 Ton Factory Dually W/ Pickup bed! Are the rear bumpers same as front? If anyone has one that they want to sell please email me I would need brackets too! Thanks Bill Fowler mtnmanbf@aol.com

A 1946 1 ton M series pickup truck would be a M15A-20. 120" wheelbase. AFAIK, none came with dual rear wheels, and none came with a rear bumper. A rear bumper was optional on the M5 (1/2 ton, 113" wheelbase) and it was the same bumper as was used on the front. The frames are different, however, between the M15A-20 and the M5-13. It would be great to see some pictures of the truck. Post them if you get the chance. Also, if you haven't sent for the factory build order for the truck, you can do so through the Studebaker National Museum. If it actually was built with dual rear wheels, the build order would show it and it would be a very rare truck.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

A 1946 1 ton M series pickup truck would be a M15A-20. 120" wheelbase. AFAIK, none came with dual rear wheels, and none came with a rear bumper. A rear bumper was optional on the M5 (1/2 ton, 113" wheelbase) and it was the same bumper as was used on the front. The frames are different, however, between the M15A-20 and the M5-13. It would be great to see some pictures of the truck. Post them if you get the chance. Also, if you haven't sent for the factory build order for the truck, you can do so through the Studebaker National Museum. If it actually was built with dual rear wheels, the build order would show it and it would be a very rare truck.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here's some pictures of Bill's truck...

My opinion is this...

It is a BEAUTIFUL truck []. I'd own it in a minute. It is unique and well done. OTOH, I believe it was "built" by a former owner.

First of all, it appears to have a Commander (M-16) engine. No M-15's were built with this engine. In order to install a Commander engine in an M15, you'd have to substantially modify the fire wall, OR, replace the original cab with an M16 cab (factory indented fire wall). This looks like an M16 cab to me.

Obviously the dash has been highly modified.

It has the radiator to fire wall support rods which only came on an M16.

The rear fenders look like they were made from 2 sets of fenders AND the front fender spacers from an M16.

The relatively rare 20" Budd wheels look perfect on this truck.

I like this truck (a lot), but I would be very surprised if it came from the factory like this.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here's some pictures of Bill's truck...

My opinion is this...

It is a BEAUTIFUL truck []. I'd own it in a minute. It is unique and well done. OTOH, I believe it was "built" by a former owner.

First of all, it appears to have a Commander (M-16) engine. No M-15's were built with this engine. In order to install a Commander engine in an M15, you'd have to substantially modify the fire wall, OR, replace the original cab with an M16 cab (factory indented fire wall). This looks like an M16 cab to me.

Obviously the dash has been highly modified.

It has the radiator to fire wall support rods which only came on an M16.

The rear fenders look like they were made from 2 sets of fenders AND the front fender spacers from an M16.

The relatively rare 20" Budd wheels look perfect on this truck.

I like this truck (a lot), but I would be very surprised if it came from the factory like this.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick,

I concur that someone has adapted this truck. I suspect that the inner "fender" was actually a sheet of steel that has been formed. Also, notice how narrow the tires are on the rear.

Gary

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Dick,

I concur that someone has adapted this truck. I suspect that the inner "fender" was actually a sheet of steel that has been formed. Also, notice how narrow the tires are on the rear.

Gary

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Bill, I built a trailer out of a M-5 bed. When it was near finished, it didn't look right. Oh it needs a bumper. The only bumper I had was for the M-5 all newly chromed, and for a trailer just didn't do it for me. Look at the other bumper I had and dug out a C-Cab factory rear bumper, painted it the same color of the trailer, and installed. I think it looks good, see for your self.

Ebon...

Comment

Bill, I built a trailer out of a M-5 bed. When it was near finished, it didn't look right. Oh it needs a bumper. The only bumper I had was for the M-5 all newly chromed, and for a trailer just didn't do it for me. Look at the other bumper I had and dug out a C-Cab factory rear bumper, painted it the same color of the trailer, and installed. I think it looks good, see for your self.

Ebon...

Comment

Working...
                  X