Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the '54 Champion ever come with factory turn signals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the '54 Champion ever come with factory turn signals?

Going through the net for a month now, since getting my '54 sedan, and I cannot find a direct answer. I've found wiring diagrams, a '54 Commander ad the says "available signals on any model at additional cost", vendors that list switches, and the gauge bezel in the dash looks like it could have lights for them. Of course, I found plenty of aftermarket switches, both vintage and repros. If factory signals existed, I would like to hunt for them. But I have not found anything specific to hunt for. I can assume this means a steering column that has that provision, but I hate to assume anything. If a factory setup exists, I like to see pictures to know what I should look for.

Since the '54 factory turn signals were built into the steering column, not "Ad-Ons", you most likely would not find a "KIT", not today anyway.
    You would need to order all of the components in the column and put in some Instrument light sockets in the Gauge Panel, some Wiring, 4 Tail & Parking dual Bulb Sockets etc., etc.

Studebakers had "Windows" in the Instrument Cluster since 1947 for turn signal indicators, but I believe it was '55 or '56 before they became Standard items and not extra cost Accessories.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Not only do they exist, I think by '54, the cars without them were the exception. You could opt for vacuum WS wipers, but those are rare by '54 also. Radios and heaters were still very optional until the late 50s. Back Up lites were rarer than turn signals in that era.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The chassis parts manual has all the pictures and the part numbers for turn signal components.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Since the signals are part of the column, then I should just hunt for the column and associated wiring. There is a yard about 8 hours from me that has 2 '54s. I like to know what I need before making that kind of road trip. I also like to see for myself that it is what I need and not beat up too bad.

My '54 is bare bones. No heat/defrost (Has factory delete) and no radio. I am glad it at least it has overdrive!! I have never checked to see if I have vacuum or electric wipers.....

I did order the chassis parts manual and service manual. They have not arrived yet.

Comment

JMHO, but if she didn't come with turn signals from the factory, i'd get a add-on kit available from vendors or ebay. you'll save a lot of $$$ and time doing so and spend that on other things that may be needed. since turn signals are a "safety item", no points would be taken off in judging. (someone correct me if i'm wrong on that).

if you haven't already picked up a production order for your '54, you can do so to ascertain as how she left the factory: https://studebakermuseum.org/store/p...36-1959_00028/
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I do have a N.O.S. turn signal kit here if you need one. Send me a pm if interested.

Chris.

Comment

From what I can find electric turn signals were a required option on 1/1/54. The became required on U.S. automobiles a year later.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                  JMHO, but if she didn't come with turn signals from the factory, i'd get a add-on kit available from vendors or ebay./Cut/
                  The only downside to aftermarket Turn Signal Kits other than the ugly Box hanging on the column, is the cancel feature is either non-existent or very poor and there usually are not Left/Right Indicator lights.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I believe both the standard shift column and the automatic shift column would both have a delete plate on the left side of the column jacket. You should not need to find a column; just the switch, lever and harness. Normally the harness would be included as part of the switch. You may find a good used switch with a crappy harness. Repro harnesses for the switch only are available.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Something you will need to know when you start installing your switch.

The 6 or 8 wire cable from the switch to the mulit-port connector at the bottom of the steering collumn must be fed through a little square conduit.

Best done one wire at a time. I made a hook from a yard long piece of 1/16 welding rod, bent a hook on the end and taped each connector to the welding rod. pushed the rod down the conduit, pulled that wire through, unhooked it and started over. There's no way you can pull all the wires at once.

Comment

I'm confused, in 53 and 54 aren't the front turn signals built right into the the grill. If it doesn't have turn signals what do the grill lights do?

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                          I'm confused, in 53 and 54 aren't the front turn signals built right into the the grill. If it doesn't have turn signals what do the grill lights do?
                          They are only parking lights if no turn signals. Both (2 filament bulbs) if with turn signals.

Same with the tail lights.
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

You might want to get a copy of the original 1953-54 installation instructions before you get started: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...rtemplates.htm
                            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

My -55 has turn signals but NOT on the electrical diagram... but the wipers are there, motor, wiring & all!
                              So my thought is: what about if you lived in (for example) southern California & liked to go cruising in the nights?
                              Not much rain but you would have to order turn-signals extra!
                              But yeah ofcourse - the places where it actually DO rain aint rare.

Comment

Working...
                              X