Hood Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood Insulation

As I continue my engine cleanup/painting I see my hood insulation is dirty and pretty ratty looking. I was thinking of replacing it with the double sided aluminum faced blanket type insulation. Thinking it would look much neater than the fiber glass. Thoughts/opinions??

The original insulation was basically to keep down noise coming out from under the hood.

I think people have used a variety of items - you just want to make sure it is resistant to liquids found under the hood and would be fire/heat resistant.

People who have done complete restoration probably have some specific examples.

Comment

It depends on what your plans are for the car. If you want a basically restored car either for your use or for when you eventually sell it, do not use the aluminum stuff. If you have a modified car, use what you want. Please realize that the aluminum face will do little to serve the original main purpose of sound deadening.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I like the looks of a clean ,bare painted under side. No sound deadener on mine.
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I replaced mine with one from SI. Cut just like the original and looks great.
          Nick

Comment

Originally posted by 52hawk View Post
            I like the looks of a clean ,bare painted under side. No sound deadener on mine.
            Is the underside flat black or the car color? Just wondering also why Studebaker has that in the first place. Other cars of that vintage (like my 56 Belair) doesn't have hood insulation. Is the "sound deadening" for the inside of the car or outside?

Comment

The thought was that the hood would act as a sounding board for engine noise and transmit it through the firewall into the cabin. I doubt you will notice any discernable difference in the passenger compartment with or without it.

Comment

I painted it the same color as car,and it is clearcoated as is the whole car. Originally the underside of the hood would be just sprayed around the edges lightly,more "overspray" than paint..
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                X