You never know who you will meet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You never know who you will meet!

I was at my local pub/restaurant this evening having supper and a cold one. I was wearing, as luck would have it, my Studebaker ball cap. As I walked out of the restroom, an older gentleman sitting at a table pointed at me and said "keep it going my friend". Curious, and not really knowing what he was referring to, I stopped and he pointed at my cap. He explained that he was the local Studebaker dealer back in the day!! SO, of course, I had pictures of my project in my phone and had to show them to him. He instantly knew it was a '61 Lark and that is was flamingo color. He said..."I don't think they built too many of those flamingo ones". He later became the AMC dealer in town, so, he's been retired since 1987 when AMC sold out to Chrysler. His name is George Beres and he is still a member of the local Chamber of Commerce in Pekin, Illinois (just south of Peoria). He told me that he wants a ride in it when it's done. I told him and his wife that I would look them up soon because the car is weeks, if not days, from being done. At 90+ years old, George and Barb were super nice and I hope I can take them for the 'ride down memory lane' that they are looking forward to very soon. I guess the 'Studebaker' logo is still recognized by a select few. You just never know who you might run into. Awesome experience to say the least.

The 62 Hawk that I parted out that belonged to my Dad came from Beres. My Dad bought in 63 or 64 as a used car.
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

When you give him that ride in your Lark, ask him about any Studebakers he sold that 'stood out' in his mind, such as a fleet order to the local police department, or a special order car. Hopefully he is still in good health and will enjoy the ride.

Craig

Comment

Chris, hopefully that will materialize and you can take pictures of them both with your 61 and post them here.
        Originally posted by rknight89 View Post
        I was at my local pub/restaurant this evening having supper and a cold one. I was wearing, as luck would have it, my Studebaker ball cap. As I walked out of the restroom, an older gentleman sitting at a table pointed at me and said "keep it going my friend". Curious, and not really knowing what he was referring to, I stopped and he pointed at my cap. He explained that he was the local Studebaker dealer back in the day!! SO, of course, I had pictures of my project in my phone and had to show them to him. He instantly knew it was a '61 Lark and that is was flamingo color. He said..."I don't think they built too many of those flamingo ones". He later became the AMC dealer in town, so, he's been retired since 1987 when AMC sold out to Chrysler. His name is George Beres and he is still a member of the local Chamber of Commerce in Pekin, Illinois (just south of Peoria). He told me that he wants a ride in it when it's done. I told him and his wife that I would look them up soon because the car is weeks, if not days, from being done. At 90+ years old, George and Barb were super nice and I hope I can take them for the 'ride down memory lane' that they are looking forward to very soon. I guess the 'Studebaker' logo is still recognized by a select few. You just never know who you might run into. Awesome experience to say the least.
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Is this the fellow?

64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
            That would be him.

Comment

Pekin was only about 10-12 miles from my home town in East Peoria. I visited there in the '60s when there were still new cars on the showroom floor. I was looking for pre WWII parts and they didn't have any so never went back. Do have this original match book cover (below). Would never have guessed that Mr Beres would still be with us. What a interesting coincidence. Will look forward to your followup. I am guessing at age 90+ he will not be riding in the rumble seat!!??

Click image for larger version

Name:	illinois pekin beres copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1683514
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

This would make a great piece for TW! (With photos of the ride.)
                1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Those Stude baseball caps really do 'stand out from the crowd'!

Comment

Working...
                  X