Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
    I have a few '56-'58 custom wagons to add here,
    but only if I can somehow get them off my back-up drive.

I fear that the pics on my laptop may be gone forever,
    as it no longer boots up...

StudeDave '57
    Get an external hard drive case, that you can load a lap top hard drive into, then you can just hook it up to your regular computer. I've had to do this two different crashed computers just this last year.

Comment

Its hard to decide whether I like the yellow wagon better or the red and white one. The bronze one is pretty cool too. I'm a sucker for a wagon.

As for engine bay size, the CK uses the land cruiser chassis at 120" WB and mounts the body with the firewall 4" further back from the front wheels than the sedans, so that makes some room.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

[QUOTE=Nox

So now I'm starting to wonder if all the Packards that runs the streets & roads in Sweden are just museum-stuff... or all have replaced their engines with 350 supermarket engines...?
        Yeah, probably...[/QUOTE]

Your no doubt seeing pre '55 Packards....a COMPLETELY different animal!

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
          Pontiacs are externally all the same size from 1955-1981. This includes the 287, 316, 347 and 370 engines before the 389 was introduced. Now there are differences in accessory drives, heads and intakes, but they were all the same size up until the 1981 265 and 301.
          The Pontiac V8 is physically smaller than the Packard V8. (esp. in length)

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
            I have a few '56-'58 custom wagons to add here,
            but only if I can somehow get them off my back-up drive.

I fear that the pics on my laptop may be gone forever,
            as it no longer boots up...

StudeDave '57
            Hopefully, it's a bios issue and not the HD. I have an external case that has a hard drive in it that I use for backup. It also lets me take the HD out of the computer and see if I can read it. I've been lucky a couple of time but not-so-lucky a few more.

It sounds like you have back-up so good for you.

OOPS!!! Looks like GTHW beat me to it.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              With 352 or 374 cid, you don't need no stink'in Speed Parts!
              Yes, You do Rich. But, before You add the (non-existant) speed parts, better straighten out the oiling system and the valve train!

Comment

<<<SIGN>>> Ed...
                Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                  As for engine bay size, the CK uses the land cruiser chassis at 120" WB and mounts the body with the firewall 4" further back from the front wheels than the sedans, so that makes some room.
                  Having both a C/K and a 54 wagon I agree with this. The wagon engine compartment is shorter front to back, but similar width. Still it is pretty good size as the Studebaker V8 fits.
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Another not in the '56'-'58 bracket , but this is nice :
                    I have forgotten where I grabbed the pic , apologies in advance if I am doing wrong .
                    Bill H
                    Daytona Beach
                    SDC member since 1970
                    Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

[QUOTE=Swifster; I found a company making adaptors to put a Chevy transmission on a Packard V8.[/QUOTE]

This has been discussed in other threads. Packard's own automatic transmission (the Twin-Ultramatic) has proven over the years to be very troublesome, so the Chevy TH400 and also the Chrysler Torqueflite can be installed behind the Packard V8 engine by using aftermarket adapters.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        Yes, You do Rich. But, before You add the (non-existant) speed parts, better straighten out the oiling system and the valve train!
                        Ed, sometimes it seems you'd rather stir up an argument than add to the information available.

Said it before, say it again:

1. The information and parts to fix the Packard V8 oiling problems are inexpensive and readily available. I've got them on the shelf and have been shipping them worldwide for years.
                        2. The information and parts to prevent Packard V8s from dropping valves when raced (only a problem on early engines) are inexpensive and readily available. Again on-the-shelf parts.

With 352 or 374 cid, you don't need no stink'in Speed Parts!
                        As Rich says, a big Packard V8 built with currently available parts and information will run strong and long. I love Stude V8s and still build a lot of them, but the Packard V8 is in a different displacement class. The additional 100 cubic inches, or 30% more displacement, is always going to give more power and more important on the street, more torque.

Jack, what speed parts are available?
                        In a word, NONE!
                        Maybe none in the Summit catalog, but on the shelf today, I've got forged pistons, aluminum flywheels, roller and flat tappet cams, solid lifters, adjustable rocker arms, adjustable pushrods, Hilborn injection, superchargers, dual point and electronic distributors, 2x4 intakes, valve springs and retainers

No, Packard V8 speed parts aren't widely available or in the catalogs, nor as cheap as SBC parts, but I build and ship about one performance Packard V8 a month. 374" cores are standing by.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

Ed, sometimes it seems you'd rather stir up an argument than add to the information available.

Said it before, say it again:

1. The information and parts to fix the Packard V8 oiling problems are inexpensive and readily available. I've got them on the shelf and have been shipping them worldwide for years.
                          2. The information and parts to prevent Packard V8s from dropping valves when raced (only a problem on early engines) are inexpensive and readily available. Again on-the-shelf parts.

As Rich says, a big Packard V8 built with currently available parts and information will run strong and long. I love Stude V8s and still build a lot of them, but the Packard V8 is in a different displacement class. The additional 100 cubic inches, or 30% more displacement, is always going to give more power and more important on the street, more torque.

Maybe none in the Summit catalog, but on the shelf today, I've got forged pistons, aluminum flywheels, roller and flat tappet cams, solid lifters, adjustable rocker arms, adjustable pushrods, Hilborn injection, superchargers, dual point and electronic distributors, 2x4 intakes, valve springs and retainers

No, Packard V8 speed parts aren't widely available or in the catalogs, nor as cheap as SBC parts, but I build and ship about one performance Packard V8 a month. 374" cores are standing by.

jack vines
                          That's all good news Jack....but it begs the question...Are You really the only source of performance and longevity parts for this engine in the U.S.? And....Do You think it would be a good idea to install one of these big babies in a '55-'58 Studebaker SEDAN, WAGON, or later LARK model?

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                            That's all good news Jack....but it begs the question...Are You really the only source of performance and longevity parts for this engine in the U.S.? And....Do You think it would be a good idea to install one of these big babies in a '55-'58 Studebaker SEDAN, WAGON, or later LARK model?
                            It really does not mater if Jack is the only person doing this with the Packard V-8 the truth is that he is doing it and hope he can for a long time to come, and to put a big Packard into any of the Studebaker models would not be much difference than some of the bigger engines doing so now, only difference then is would at least be close to Studebaker and as Jack has said many many time your project, your money, do it your way and enjoy it once it is done, I just picked up this 60 hawk and took some pictures of the Pontiac 455 installed in it still lots of room to add a CSB, when going through the glove box I found a owners manual for the 76 Firebird so my guess every thing came from one of them, love to have a big Packard in something.

Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

Fair enough!

Comment

Are the dash panels on the '56-'58 cars welded in or bolted?
                                Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                                X