Aftermarket Carburator for Supercharged 289

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket Carburator for Supercharged 289

Hi Folks - i am building a show style 289 with a center mounted VS57. This was a motor from a 64 GT Hawk modified to be setup like supercharged R2.

Putting the engine back together i noticed the original avanti carb i had will be difficult to cleanup and polish the way i want it. For that reason i am looking into aftermarket carburator options like a DEMON or Edelbrock carb. Can someone please tell me what suggestions you have as far as compatibility, performance, fitment, etc..

SHAUNClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1740430

Thanks!

Uh oh... another "my carburetor is shinier than your carburetor" thread start......

Comment

I understand that the Edelbrock 600 CFM marine carb is good to 10 PSI boost without modification and will bolt up to the 63-64 Carter AFB intake.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...c/marine.shtml

Not shiny like the street version, but has a corrosion resistant anodized finish.

Nice looking engine, BTW!

PM me if you are considering letting go of the R2 AFB, I'm looking for a rebuildable spare core.

Cheers,

John
      1996 Impala SS
      1967 Jag XKE FHC
      1963 Avanti R2
      1963 Avanti R1
      1956 Packard Patrician
      1948 Jag Mk IV DHC
      1909 Hupmobile Model 20

Comment

The Edlebrock will work if you swap the R2 top or use a different air bonnet.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Interesting motor mounts....and I dig the chrome plated Stude pulleys and damper!

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
            The Edlebrock will work if you swap the R2 top or use a different air bonnet.
            Different diameter???

Comment

Yes...the top of the AFB is 4 1/4" diameter...the top of the Edelbrock and all modern carbs is 5 1/8" diameter.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                Different diameter???
                The original Stude R2 air cap (or bonnet) wont fit the new Edelbrock air horn, but other caps are available that will fit this setup no problem.

Comment

Have your R2 carb chromed.. I had the R2 bonnet re-chromed and it is cast aluminum.

Another option is you can get chrome powder coating that looks really great and its durable.

Comment

What brand is that valley cover? It and the rest of the motor look fantastic! I would use a paxton finned air box like this
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	mump_0708_04_z+paxton_supercharger_install+carburetor_enclosure.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1683498

Comment

I believe the valley cover is a stock stude, which has been polished. Am i right?

Those recommending the edelbrock option, does that carb have all the proper outlets/fittings for the R2 supercharged setup?

Thanks!
                      SHAUN

Comment

@Packard8 - any particular reason you recommend the marine version?

Comment

Very interesting. Have converted (see pic of the 54 commander) all of my carburetor cars to Edelbrock, notwithstanding the connection issues, except for the supercharged cars. This conversion included a vapor return back to gas tank. Now have easy start and have not had vapor lock since converting. Manifolds sent to machine shop to close off hole for old choke. Recently completed an R2 restoration, including professional carburetor rebuild, but have start and smooth run problems and would like to convert to Edelbrock. In my case, had to raise Edelbrock 1/2 inch, buy a 5 1/8 adapter and modify the original Studebaker air filter. One supercharged car is a 2 barrel, any ideas of converting it and with regard to the R2 what happens (if anything) to the vac line from the supercharger to the top of the gas pump. Has anyone made an R2 Edelbrock conversion? I favor staying original but I do like a car to start and run correctly with minimum trouble. No one in miles of my location will touch an old Carter. So far the only down side is the ugly red Edelbrock sticker on the front of the carb. Ken, Deltaville Va
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030013.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	1683499
                          Last edited by ken-renda; 09-04-2013, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                            What brand is that valley cover? It and the rest of the motor look fantastic! I would use a paxton finned air box like this
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]27145[/ATTACH]
                            Finned valley cover..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-ROD-STUD...85d8a7&vxp=mtr

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                              Huh and pretty cheap too.
                              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X