How long is my Champion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long is my Champion?

It looks like my '51 Champion four door sedan won't be ready in time for me to drive it up the Alcan highway this month so I have to settle for a ferry ride next spring. Does anyone know the length of a '51 fordor Champion bumper to bumper? I need the length to process my reservation on the ferry from Bellingham to Whittier, Alaska. Since I'm about 3000 miles from the car I can't lay a tape on it. I guess if I give them the wrong length they won't let me on the ferry. I was looking forward to participating in the events at Ferndale on the 6th-8th. It would have been my first Studebaker event, damn! I board the ferry on April 5th so I'll be in the area about a week before that date. Anything going on between Portland and Bellingham?

Our experience with the ferry was that they are very forgiving. My estimate was too long and the person helping us load, measured upon loading and insisted we go get our refund which was very kindly written.

The shop manual has our cars at 197.5 inches which is what my convertible measures.

Comment

Is your convertible a four door?

Comment

All 1950 Champions are the same wheel base and length. Do a web search for 1950 Studebaker specifications and you will get all the information you need.
        Originally posted by Jeb View Post
        Is your convertible a four door?
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Folks should go to our own Studebaker Drivers Club web page to find needed data, rather than do a google or bing search. Your search is going to lead you right back here anyway!

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/

Check out the link to "Tech Tips, Specs and Data", as well as "Valuable Links".

And, Jeb, find a factory '51 four door convertible and I'll buy it!
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by Champ51 View Post
            Our experience with the ferry was that they are very forgiving. My estimate was too long and the person helping us load, measured upon loading and insisted we go get our refund which was very kindly written.
            The shop manual has our cars at 197.5 inches which is what my convertible measures.
            So in English...16 and 1/2 Ft. that should work.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That makes it about as long as 22 unladen swallows

Comment

Originally posted by drpreposterous View Post
                That makes it about as long as 22 unladen swallows
                Are those African Swallows?
                sigpic
                55 President Deluxe
                64 Commander
                66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

And, Jeb, find a factory '51 four door convertible and I'll buy it![/QUOTE]

My thought exactly when I referenced my four door and Champ51 gave a length for his convertible. I didn't know they were the same length until I went to the link you gave me. I'm booked for the one of the first Gulf of Alaska crossings of the spring which fills fast. The reservations clerk was adimant that my measurement be accurate or I would have problems. I've been in Alaska for over 30 years and I've never had the opportunity to visit southeast or use the marine hiway. It will be an adventure for sure. I'm tried to get my wife to travel with me but she doesn't do well on boats so I'm on my own.

Comment

Working...
                  X