Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker history books? (A possible paper for class.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker history books? (A possible paper for class.)

So for my Economic History 1047 class we are suppose to write a paper giving the history and evolution of an industry, or institution. I thought, what better then Studebaker?
    It will give me a chance to polish up on their history, for when I take it to shows or if someone asks.
    To spread the history of Studebaker to other college colleagues, if I'm correct, it will most likely be peer reviewed.
    The history of Studebaker is definitely a rich one, and would be perfect.
    Lastly, writing about something I am passionate about puts emotion into a paper.

So, I have to brush up on my history.
    I am looking for thing I can use as references, and to study. What books or sites would you recommend? (Unfortunately forums won't count )
    Are there any Turning Wheels articles that I can access online, get a scan copy of, or borrow/buy?
    Or even newspapers I might be able to get microfilms of?
    Thank you all very much

Not sure if it's allowed for your paper, but it seems to me I have seen references on this forum to members working there....how about personal interviews from those that were there....

Just my .02....worth what you paid for it....

Comment

That is a good idea. I will have to ask my professor.

Comment

Would the SNM or archives be of any help? Possibly the South Bend Public Library? They must have archives of the local South Bend news paper. Don't know if they are accessible on line.

Comment

Find someone who has a copy of "Studebaker The Complete Story" by William A Cannon and Fred K Fox. It is out of print but many SDC members have a copy. Also a more recent book again called "Studebaker The Complete Story" by Patrick Foster. There is also "The Studebaker Century, A National Heritage" by ASA R. Hall and Richard M Langworth. You may also wish to look in the SI catalogue for the books they sell or contact the Museum and see what books they sell. Some of these books my be listed in your local public library and in that case you could check them out and complete your research.
          sigpic
          55 President Deluxe
          64 Commander
          66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Just did a quick web search for the St. Joseph County (South Bend) Public Library. If you type in 'Studebaker' in the search field, there are 5 pages of books/videos/tapes etc. pertaining to Studebaker. I don't know how pressed for time you are, however, I would assume most of these books are available through an inter-library loan. It's not the fastest system in the world, but most libraries will send their books to other libraries via USPS Library Rate mail. Slow but cheap. If you carry a library card for your local library, you SHOULD be able to get these items from South Bend. You can then check out these books for a week or two after your local library receives them. Some very old, rare or fragile books may not be able to be checked out but you can usually view them at the library and a librarian will likely make copies of whatever you need from these books. I may be a little 'old fashioned' but I still love libraries and the Post Office...and Studebakers of course.

Comment

You should be able to draw from almost any resource as long as you cite your sources.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Try to get a copy of More Than They Promised by Thomas E. Bonsall, ISBN 0-8047-3586-7, copyright 2000, Stanford University Press.
                Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
                Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                  You should be able to draw from almost any resource as long as you cite your sources.
                  I would think you might get some bonus for using primary sources...

Comment

I wrote a paper on the Studebaker-Packard merger for my MBA program several years ago. Here are pix of my reference pages - maybe these will be some help for you:
                    Attached Files
                    Scott Rodgers
                    Los Angeles
                    SDC Member since 1989
                    \'60 Lark HT
                    \'63 Wagonaire
                    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

I would recommend the 1922/23 History of Studebaker Corporation book - that was printed for the stockholders of that day - it is quite informative - and goes into the buggies / wagons / electrics / and - finally the gasoline automobiles. I read it - for my leisure - while in college - the Iowa State University library had a copy.

Drew

Comment

Originally posted by '66Commander View Post
                        So for my Economic History 1047 class we are suppose to write a paper giving the history and evolution of an industry, or institution. I thought, what better then Studebaker?
                        It will give me a chance to polish up on their history, for when I take it to shows or if someone asks.
                        To spread the history of Studebaker to other college colleagues, if I'm correct, it will most likely be peer reviewed.
                        The history of Studebaker is definitely a rich one, and would be perfect.
                        Lastly, writing about something I am passionate about puts emotion into a paper.

So, I have to brush up on my history.
                        I am looking for thing I can use as references, and to study. What books or sites would you recommend? (Unfortunately forums won't count )
                        Are there any Turning Wheels articles that I can access online, get a scan copy of, or borrow/buy?
                        Or even newspapers I might be able to get microfilms of?
                        Thank you all very much
                        You could order a copy of my book, "My Father The Car: Memoirs of my life with Studebaker" (shameful plug). The Studebaker National Museum, Avanti Owners International Association and Living Legends of Auto Racing Museum all stock it. You'll find some very pertinent information in it that you won't find elsewhere.

Stu Chapman

Comment

On this website, go back to the home page. On the left side of the screen, go down to "valuable links." Click on that and scroll down to Studebaker history. You'll find some good stuff there. Combine that with all the other suggestions and you'll have a good paper.

Rog
                          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                          Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

On another note, I met the local paper's automotive writer at a company Christmas party last year. He was interested in the 50th anniversary of Studebaker's US demise. He said he is always looking for story ideas. The problem is where do I start? Do I give him highlights of the history or let him do his own research?

Comment

What is your time frame on your paper.

If you have Worldcat available you can find many Studebaker resources, I can think of the Bonsal book from Stanford and another published by Indiana U. and the recent Foster book on Studebaker You may be able to Inter library loan reels of the SB Tribune. If you have access to proquest or another database service you may be able to find period articles, or at least the citations so you can ILL the articles from a major institution that keeps bound volumes.

Like I said... What is your time frame and requirements for the paper.....Given the time I could bury you in citations.

Jeff T. (practicing librarian)
                              \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                              The Replacements.

Comment

Working...
                              X