A Gorgeous S-P Product BUT...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Gorgeous S-P Product BUT...

....the first four digits of a 1956 Carribean convertible's serial number should be 5699 [:0] ...and if that is the car's undercarriage in the set of photos, it's missing a hypoid differential, the second half of the dual exhaust system, and a pair of torsion bars on each side!

The seller's agent seems to be quite an authority , though, so I am sure there's an proper explanation for any discrepancies.... (And if the car is perfect, the $65,000 tariff isn't off the end of the chart, either...close, but not off the end...) BP

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1956-...QQcmdZViewItem
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob, I remember seeing that car at Hershey at least five years ago. I remember that creamy, buttery-colored leather interior and the solid maroon exterior color, very clearly.

I THINK I remember seeing/hearing at that time, that it was a $100,000 restoration. I could be wrong, as there have been other Caribbeans at Hershey I've seen, but for some reason, that's what I'm associating with this car.

I find the V8 Packards stylistically interesting and technically advanced, particularly the Torsion-Level suspension, and they are a pretty rare sight today. Bob, as I think you've mentioned before, nice V8 Packards can be bought for very reasonable prices...except Caribbeans, which are always priced to the moon! I think I could like a white over Scottish Heather '56 Four Hundred Hardtop at least as well as a Caribbean!

For money like $65K (which I know is not ridiculous for such a car), I'd like to see the build sheet to verify that it was built in the solid color...although now that I think about it, can't you tell color codes from the data plate on those Packards?

The SNM has production orders for all '56 Packards EXCEPT Caribbeans!

Bill Pressler

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

....the first four digits of a 1956 Carribean convertible's serial number should be 5699 [:0] ...and if that is the car's undercarriage in the set of photos, it's missing a hypoid differential, the second half of the dual exhaust system, and a pair of torsion bars on each side!

The seller's agent seems to be quite an authority , though, so I am sure there's an proper explanation for any discrepancies.... (And if the car is perfect, the $65,000 tariff isn't off the end of the chart, either...close, but not off the end...) BP

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Bob, I remember seeing that car at Hershey at least five years ago. I remember that creamy, buttery-colored leather interior and the solid maroon exterior color, very clearly.

I THINK I remember seeing/hearing at that time, that it was a $100,000 restoration. I could be wrong, as there have been other Caribbeans at Hershey I've seen, but for some reason, that's what I'm associating with this car.

I find the V8 Packards stylistically interesting and technically advanced, particularly the Torsion-Level suspension, and they are a pretty rare sight today. Bob, as I think you've mentioned before, nice V8 Packards can be bought for very reasonable prices...except Caribbeans, which are always priced to the moon! I think I could like a white over Scottish Heather '56 Four Hundred Hardtop at least as well as a Caribbean!

For money like $65K (which I know is not ridiculous for such a car), I'd like to see the build sheet to verify that it was built in the solid color...although now that I think about it, can't you tell color codes from the data plate on those Packards?

The SNM has production orders for all '56 Packards EXCEPT Caribbeans!

Bill Pressler

Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

What a beauty! I would have really liked to have found a Carribean before the values went through the roof, as it is unobtanium to me now. Always liked the '55 and '56 Packards, and especially the '56' grills. I helped restore this '55 Panama hardtop back in the '80's with a good friend of mine. It was a great car that had an abundance of power with the 352, and would roll along on the interstate at 80 mph with power to spare, and had a ride that felt like you were on a cloud, even without the torsion bar suspention. It was an unusual car in that it was high optioned for a middle line Packard, but was ordered without the torsion bar suspension. The only drawback with it was the Twin Ultramatic, it seemed to be a never ending problem. After the last breakdown, and repair, it was sold to a very nice gentleman in Washington state.

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana '59 4E7-122 '59 Silver Hawk '57 Parkview Wagon '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
        I own time machines.....

Comment

What a beauty! I would have really liked to have found a Carribean before the values went through the roof, as it is unobtanium to me now. Always liked the '55 and '56 Packards, and especially the '56' grills. I helped restore this '55 Panama hardtop back in the '80's with a good friend of mine. It was a great car that had an abundance of power with the 352, and would roll along on the interstate at 80 mph with power to spare, and had a ride that felt like you were on a cloud, even without the torsion bar suspention. It was an unusual car in that it was high optioned for a middle line Packard, but was ordered without the torsion bar suspension. The only drawback with it was the Twin Ultramatic, it seemed to be a never ending problem. After the last breakdown, and repair, it was sold to a very nice gentleman in Washington state.

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana '59 4E7-122 '59 Silver Hawk '57 Parkview Wagon '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
          I own time machines.....

Comment

WOW! A solid color Packard that looks stunning! What a sweetie!

Chris Pile
            The Studebaker Special
            Midway Chapter SDC
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

WOW! A solid color Packard that looks stunning! What a sweetie!

Chris Pile
              The Studebaker Special
              Midway Chapter SDC
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Hey BP, it may be just me, but it doesn't look like the (single) exhaust exits out the bumper in this pic. Different car?

Matthew Burnette
                '59 Scotsman
                '63 Daytona
                Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

Hey BP, it may be just me, but it doesn't look like the (single) exhaust exits out the bumper in this pic. Different car?

Matthew Burnette
                  '59 Scotsman
                  '63 Daytona
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

You're right, Matthew; that undercarriage photo is of a different vehicle...maybe even an old truck. (I was kidding when I posted my reservations about the undercarriage; they obviously put in a wrong photo.) Note the way the driveshaft pinion seems to go straight into the differential, not offset as would be necessary for a hypoid-gear differential. [:0]

[8D] Bill Pressler and others: If this was, in fact, a solid-color car, there would be no need for a build sheet to verify same. Unlike Studebakers, the trim and color codes are stamped onto the same driver door hinge post data plate on which the serial number is located.

The only honest-to-gosh red Packard had in 1956 was Tangier Red, a carry-over color from 1955. (In 1955, the same color was known as Fire Opal. However, only the name changed for 1956; the colors have the same mixing formula.)

In 1956, Tangier Red was code "J" all by itself. If this car was originally shipped solid Tangier Red, the color code stamping on the serial number plate will be one letter only: J. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

You're right, Matthew; that undercarriage photo is of a different vehicle...maybe even an old truck. (I was kidding when I posted my reservations about the undercarriage; they obviously put in a wrong photo.) Note the way the driveshaft pinion seems to go straight into the differential, not offset as would be necessary for a hypoid-gear differential. [:0]

[8D] Bill Pressler and others: If this was, in fact, a solid-color car, there would be no need for a build sheet to verify same. Unlike Studebakers, the trim and color codes are stamped onto the same driver door hinge post data plate on which the serial number is located.

The only honest-to-gosh red Packard had in 1956 was Tangier Red, a carry-over color from 1955. (In 1955, the same color was known as Fire Opal. However, only the name changed for 1956; the colors have the same mixing formula.)

In 1956, Tangier Red was code "J" all by itself. If this car was originally shipped solid Tangier Red, the color code stamping on the serial number plate will be one letter only: J. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

I recall seeing a pic of that same car in Car Collector magazine a number of years ago. It did mention something about being a special-order single tone car.

Craig.

Comment

I recall seeing a pic of that same car in Car Collector magazine a number of years ago. It did mention something about being a special-order single tone car.

Craig.

Comment

Could easily be, Craig. Packard had a lot of "one-offs" in 1956 as they wound down.

Push-Button Twin Ultramatic was standard equipment on Caribbeans, but one convertible was built with factory stick overdrive(!) and another was special-ordered with column-shift Twin-Ultramatic; not push-button.

One of the most unusual 1956 Packards built was a 1956 Executive hardtop with Caribbean dual-quad 374 engine and factory stick overdrive. [:0][}][] Now that is rare! [:0][:0] It is white with dark green roof and side insert.

That Executive happily survives in excellent condition. It was last written up in the Winter 2006 Packard Cormorant. It has taken an AACA First Place at Hershey and has now registered just a few over 6,000 documented actual miles. What a treat for Packard V-8 lovers...of which I am near the top of the list. [^] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Could easily be, Craig. Packard had a lot of "one-offs" in 1956 as they wound down.

Push-Button Twin Ultramatic was standard equipment on Caribbeans, but one convertible was built with factory stick overdrive(!) and another was special-ordered with column-shift Twin-Ultramatic; not push-button.

One of the most unusual 1956 Packards built was a 1956 Executive hardtop with Caribbean dual-quad 374 engine and factory stick overdrive. [:0][}][] Now that is rare! [:0][:0] It is white with dark green roof and side insert.

That Executive happily survives in excellent condition. It was last written up in the Winter 2006 Packard Cormorant. It has taken an AACA First Place at Hershey and has now registered just a few over 6,000 documented actual miles. What a treat for Packard V-8 lovers...of which I am near the top of the list. [^] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                              X