• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudeRich
    replied
    "Leece Neville" Heavy Duty Alt. & Low Cut-in Generators

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
    How about "Leece Neville"
    That's funny Jerry, I got the Conestoga before the Horse!

Leave a comment:

• Studebakercenteroforegon
    replied
    How about "Leece Neville"

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by WCP View Post
    Look in the parts book, '59-64, to see all of the different alternators listed, 55 & 60 amp, for fleet and taxi service. I don't believe the statement that only 2 were used is correct.
    Those are all Commercial only, special order Neece Leeval (sp) Police, Taxi Alternators, We were talking about Prestolite Alternators.

I tried to find my old 1970's Newman & Altman Catalog to find out how to spell the Brand of Heavy Duty Alternators and Generators Studebaker used, but I do not know where it is now. They had loads of them since no one needed them.

Leave a comment:

• WCP
    replied
    Look in the parts book, '59-64, to see all of the different alternators listed, 55 & 60 amp, for fleet and taxi service. I don't believe the statement that only 2 were used is correct.

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    Thanks Rich. A picture is worth a thousand words...

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    You can just barely see the TWO EAR Prestolite H.D. 40 Amp. Alt. in this R1 '63 Hawk.
    It also has a different cooling fan on it with a solid flat metal ring (shield) in front of the blades.

Click image for larger version

Name:	63GTWhiteR1Eng.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1683464
    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-02-2013, 09:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    OK, learn something new everyday...

Leave a comment:

replied
    Single ear - you would quickly recognize the double adjusting ear version if you saw one.

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    Rich, is this a 'single ear' or a 'double ear'?

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by Swifster View Post
    I'm glad I saw this. I'll need a 'double ear' alternator to rebuild so I have a spare. There is a local yard that has a few Stude's in it and I'll know what to look for.
    That one was only used on the Jet Thrust Powered Larks, R1 Hawks, Avantis and Zip Vans, in an Avanti with the Three contact Regulator it could put out 40 AMPs, but in Lark/Hawk with the Standard Voltage Regulator (one contact) they only produce the same 35 AMPs as the Standard "One Ear" Model.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    The 1966 models only used a Prestolite alternator with a single thick mounting ear.
    Thanks Jerry, I guess we hear that here every now and then: "You learn something new every day"!
    I have had hands on experience with a whole lot of Studes everything from '54 to '64, but not so much CanadaBakers!

I now (recently) bought and drive a '66 Cruiser, but knock on wood, it has required very little and I never noticed any difference in it's Prestolite, that might be a good replacement for the weaker ones.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-02-2013, 07:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    I'm glad I saw this. I'll need a 'double ear' alternator to rebuild so I have a spare. There is a local yard that has a few Stude's in it and I'll know what to look for.

Leave a comment:

• stude1964
    replied
    Joe
    I remember seeing one on a 60's IH Scout. Don't know if it was original.
    Rob in PA.

Leave a comment:

• 63t-cab
    replied
    Thanks Jerry,this one has the thick mounting ear.
    The 1966 models only used a Prestolite alternator with a single thick mounting ear.

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X