66 Studebaker AC unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 Studebaker AC unit

I have an opportunity to buy a complete AC unit from a 1966 Studebaker Cruiser. This includes the underdash unit, radiator, condensor, compressor, etc.

Does anyone have a picture of one of these and can you tell me if it would be appropriate in a 1965 model? I know this would be a lot of work and I would need a lot of new components, but want to be as close to something factory as possible.

Mark Anderson
    1965 Cruiser
    http://home.alltel.net/anderm
    Home of the Cruiser Registry

Mark,

This stock unit is in my 1965 Daytona.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Mark,

This stock unit is in my 1965 Daytona.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Mark, I checked in the 65-66 parts manual and only one evaporator is listed for both years. Since these are in substance "hang on" systems, someone could have a 65-66 with an older "round vents" unit based on what the dealer had on hand. There ARE differences underhood between Six and V-8, primarily brackets. I'll send you 2 pics of what is in my car, since I do not have photobucket or equiv. Hope this helps...

Chris Collins
        63 Avanti R-2
        66 Cruiser

Comment

Mark, I checked in the 65-66 parts manual and only one evaporator is listed for both years. Since these are in substance "hang on" systems, someone could have a 65-66 with an older "round vents" unit based on what the dealer had on hand. There ARE differences underhood between Six and V-8, primarily brackets. I'll send you 2 pics of what is in my car, since I do not have photobucket or equiv. Hope this helps...

Chris Collins
          63 Avanti R-2
          66 Cruiser

Comment

I would think it would be correct. In fact I have a unit out of a 66 in my 64 convertible. It is better looking than the units with the round holes in my opinion.
            Denny L

Comment

I would think it would be correct. In fact I have a unit out of a 66 in my 64 convertible. It is better looking than the units with the round holes in my opinion.
              Denny L

Comment

IF the '66 has a correct A/C unit it would be correct for your '65. I assume that both cars are either six or V8, otherwise you will need some parts, like brackets.

Does the '66 unit that you are considering have the rectangular vents? Many dealers, and owners/aftermarket, used up the older round style vent units. They would work in your car, but be incorrect. Since the A/C units for most Studebakers are basically aftermarket units, many Studebakers have incorrect units in them. Many new Studebakers were delivered with incorrect aftermarket Brand X A/C units.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

IF the '66 has a correct A/C unit it would be correct for your '65. I assume that both cars are either six or V8, otherwise you will need some parts, like brackets.

Does the '66 unit that you are considering have the rectangular vents? Many dealers, and owners/aftermarket, used up the older round style vent units. They would work in your car, but be incorrect. Since the A/C units for most Studebakers are basically aftermarket units, many Studebakers have incorrect units in them. Many new Studebakers were delivered with incorrect aftermarket Brand X A/C units.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I came out of a 66 and has appropriate brackets, etc. Except it came from a V8 and will go into a 6. I'm guessing I'll probably only be able to use the underdash unit, appropriately converted then go with new compressor, etc.

Mark Anderson
                    1965 Cruiser

Comment

I came out of a 66 and has appropriate brackets, etc. Except it came from a V8 and will go into a 6. I'm guessing I'll probably only be able to use the underdash unit, appropriately converted then go with new compressor, etc.

Mark Anderson
                      1965 Cruiser

Comment

I just traded JP a V-8 bracket for an aftermarket bracket; might want to drop him a line.

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

I just traded JP a V-8 bracket for an aftermarket bracket; might want to drop him a line.

nate

--
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          --
                          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

If you are looking for 6 cylinder brackets (studebaker 6), SASCO may still have them. As for compressor, condenser, etc. there is an outfit in Florida that I got all the new stuff for my Lark from. I will see if I can find the company name. They were great to work with. I got a new Sanden compressor for $186.

Comment

If you are looking for 6 cylinder brackets (studebaker 6), SASCO may still have them. As for compressor, condenser, etc. there is an outfit in Florida that I got all the new stuff for my Lark from. I will see if I can find the company name. They were great to work with. I got a new Sanden compressor for $186.

Comment

Working...
                              X