This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
    Ah bullbutter!! Some young people are trash so who needs 'em. Quit whining. Sleep under a bridge, or go with the flow. I never had a nightmare stay at any Studebaker Club function. Then again I only been to 'bout 30 of them. Maybe I've been lucky. Quit calling names at people that all in all are {take this to your bank} trying their best so as not to have to hear negative feedback or predisposed opinion by some finicky disgrunt. They've got no control of past hotel practice and only expect the best for your stay. On one occasion I spent the night in my pick-em up truck at the host hotel parking lot cause they were full for that particular evening. Saved a bunch that night and spent it at the swap meet next morning. Not to worry. It is illegal for a hotel-motel to have trash lying around or not empty waste baskets while a Studebaker is in the parking lot.Sorta like a trade off. I ain't LION jimmijim
    I know that many sites have reputations for posting feedback from cranks. Go into tripadvisor.com and check out the comments for the Coco Key resort in Waterbury - it's page after page of VERRRRRY negative comments.
    peter lee

Comment

As a former manager for a hotel, I am very aware of the reality behind guest expectations. Some people come to a hotel expecting Disney World - this magical place of happiness where nothing ever goes wrong. And the moment they walk into the lobby and realize they can smell the pool chlorine from there, that one minor broken expectation from their expected utopia transforms them into these rabid, angry malcontented beasts. It's almost like they're on a mission to be miserable and blame the hotel for it.

Perspective is everything. Many years back, I was volunteering with an organization in Nicaragua. While I was helping there, I slept on a rickety cot in a burnt-out abandoned school house. The bedtime routine involved showering from a 55 gallon drum that contained stagnant, bug infested rainwater, and before bed I had to shake the scorpions out of my bedding. More than once I woke up with one of those little buggers snuggling up to me to warm itself from my body heat. Every day I slept under a net, because the mosquitoes would swarm in black clouds and could literally be deadly thanks to malaria and other ailments that were prevalent in the area. We actually took meds while we were there to fortify our guts, because simple things like accidentally getting some of their water in your mouth could make you vomit for a week otherwise. It was hotter than heck during the day, and every night was so frigid you'd wonder why you only had two blankets. I could go on and on, but you know what, I LOVED it. It was one of the best experiences of my life, and I truly hope that someday I can do it again. In those journeys, i saw things that I may never in my lifetime otherwise experience, so to me, a little suffering was worth it.

In contrast, what's the worst this hotel has to offer? Reading the reviews, the most legitimate complaints are that the minimum wage staff at the waterpark entrance and concession area are rude. Whoopdie-do! Were you planning on using the water slides or eating at the waterpark's snack stand? Most of the rest of the one star reviews are either people who seem to have nothing better to do than make un-quantifiable statements with words like disgusting, which actually do little to describe anything, or they had problems a manager could easily have solved, but they never went to a manager.

Frankly, I usually ignore one-star reviews of hotels, because unless you went home bleeding from a scorpion sting or contracted malaria or got ill from drinking the water, it's not the worst place you could ever stay. This spring we came back from a cruise and spent a couple days on the space coast in Florida. We stayed in an AWFUL "resort". Worst hotel experience in my life. It still got a two star rating from me on the review site, because when I called the manager on duty (something none of the one-star whiners for CoCo Keys seem to know how to do), she did everything in her power to make up for it, and the maintenance guys were in my room two minutes later. And now, months later, it's actually almost a funny memory. Far more memorable than staying at a boring clean hotel.

People who are expecting to find doom and misery will find it wherever they go. This also goes for people attending Studebaker meets. There's nothing wrong with suggesting improvements for future meets, but it's almost as if you're looking for reasons to be miserable. This is a once in a lifetime shot to see this collection of cars and activities in this place. I'm sure that the worst room at CoCo Keys is still a heck of a lot better than a scorpion-infested burnt out schoolhouse in rural Nicaragua. If this were the meet in my area and I had seen the reviews, I'd just put on my big boy pants, stifle my whining, and dive into the adventure.

'63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Also, what did you think about the positive reviews? To me, most of them seem reasonable and believable. They even quantify their reasons for being happy in most cases. How many one-star ratings did that?
        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Some folks are not happy unless they have something to complain about.

Comment

With knowledge that this comment will push this circular firing squad to the top of the Board one more time.....

I'm envious of anyone who can by choice find an excuse not to attend next years convention. Due to my wife's health I can't leave the house for more than 4 hours, let alone ponder an anonymous opinion of the condition of paint in next years convention facility. How dare the organizers not consult my family calendar when scheduling the event.... I do live at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

I'd attend even if it were hosted at the Douglas County fairgrounds and we had to sleep on cots if the choice were mine! When my son played Division I football we only missed one game, driving to most, anywhere in the country. There were occasions that we over-nighted in facilities that would earn a minus star rating but we enjoyed every trip and even the games he lost.

Unfortunately as we mature we only get more like ourselves... the happier become happier and the others have more time to complain.

Comment

Kind of reminds me of my former son-in-law. Things got to the point where I wouldn't go out to eat with my daughter if he was coming due to his always complaining of the food no matter where or what. Justified? Not when everyone else has no complaints. His reason was probably seeing if he could get a free meal out of it and yeah, he's "young".
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

"...as we mature we only get more like ourselves"

So true.
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Stayed at the host hotel last October for two nights. It was clean, food was real good, and the service was fine.

Comment

As the Nutmeg Chapter president and chairman for the NE zone meet in Waterbury next year, I am more than a bit dismayed. I didn't read the unedited comments by Peter Lee, so I don't know who they were directed at, but I suspect it was either me or one of my chapter members, and therefore, my friends. Mr Lee, perhaps you would like to send me a pm and we can discuss this in private.
                    Chip
                    '63 Cruiser
                    '57 Packard wagon
                    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Sorry but I think you should just stay home where you have no fear of disappointment.

(said in an absolutely polite and friendly manner looking out for your best interests)

And no sarcasm I promise.

Dean.

Comment

I think that what needed to be discussed has been discussed and dissected, twice. If anybody wants to see changes made to future International Meets, you are welcome to discuss it here but please don't argue about it. If you want to see changes made, discuss it with the powers that be in the SDC. That's what our elected officers are there for. That's just my .2 cents worth, but until then I can see where this thread could go, and I think we're done here...
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                        X