Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you know Packard made the Studebaker V8?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Did you know Packard made the Studebaker V8?

    It must be true because I heard it from the owner of a 41 Chevy hot rod last night. He wasn't impressed when I corrected his version of the Studebaker & Packard merger either.
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

    51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

  • #2
    Originally posted by StudeMann View Post
    It must be true because I heard it from the owner of a 41 Chevy hot rod last night. He wasn't impressed when I corrected his version of the Studebaker & Packard merger either.
    So does this mean that the R7 or 8 Studebaker V-8 found in the limited production in 1965 and 66 was a 352 Packard V-8?
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

    Comment


    • #3
      I had remembered that the "merger" was technically an acquisition by the Packard Corporation of Studebaker for reasons like tax loss carry forward advantage etc. Wikipedia says it was that way as well.

      "The Studebaker-Packard Corporation was the entity created by the purchase of the Studebaker Corporation of South Bend, Indiana, by the Packard Motor Car Company of Detroit, Michigan, in 1954. While Studebaker was the larger of the two companies, Packard's balance sheet and executive team were stronger than that of the South Bend company."

      I'm afraid your friend was right.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mmagic View Post
        I'm afraid your friend was right.
        My remembrance as well. Technically speaking, Packard bought Studebaker, changed its own name to Studebaker-Packard Corporation and phased out production of its own designs.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

        Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mmagic View Post
          I had remembered that the "merger" was technically an acquisition by the Packard Corporation of Studebaker for reasons like tax loss carry forward advantage etc. Wikipedia says it was that way as well.

          "The Studebaker-Packard Corporation was the entity created by the purchase of the Studebaker Corporation of South Bend, Indiana, by the Packard Motor Car Company of Detroit, Michigan, in 1954. While Studebaker was the larger of the two companies, Packard's balance sheet and executive team were stronger than that of the South Bend company."

          I'm afraid your friend was right.
          Still that dorsn't mean they made the studebaker V8, they just owned it. I bet he wasthinking of the packard powered hudsons.

          Comment


          • #6
            Yes, Packard engineers of course had nothing to do with designing the Stude V8....Thankfully! (Look at the problems THEIR V8 had/has)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              Yes, Packard engineers of course had nothing to do with designing the Stude V8....Thankfully! (Look at the problems THEIR V8 had/has)
              Me thinks you are a brave man, McGee... INCOMING!!!
              Corley

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                So does this mean that the R7 or 8 Studebaker V-8 found in the limited production in 1965 and 66 was a 352 Packard V-8?
                Now there's a man with a great memory, good call back.
                , ,

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mmagic View Post
                  I had remembered that the "merger" was technically an acquisition by the Packard Corporation of Studebaker for reasons like tax loss carry forward advantage etc. Wikipedia says it was that way as well.

                  "The Studebaker-Packard Corporation was the entity created by the purchase of the Studebaker Corporation of South Bend, Indiana, by the Packard Motor Car Company of Detroit, Michigan, in 1954. While Studebaker was the larger of the two companies, Packard's balance sheet and executive team were stronger than that of the South Bend company."

                  I'm afraid your friend was right.
                  Skip Lackie

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The more interesting and/or exciting fiction makes difficult work for the mundane facts.

                    My daily newspaper carries a Saturday auto enthusiast column by a writer who disseminates one or more easily fact-checked mistakes each week. Two weeks ago he ran a quote from the original owner of an early Lark 259" V8 hardtop who said something like, "It has the powerful Packard V8 and my wife was always getting speeding tickets." How a guy has owned a car for fifty years and still hadn't gotten that straightened out boggles the mind. How the other guy can get paid for expert writing about cars is even more inexplicable.

                    jack vines
                    PackardV8

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mmagic View Post
                      I had remembered that the "merger" was technically an acquisition by the Packard Corporation of Studebaker for reasons like tax loss carry forward advantage etc. Wikipedia says it was that way as well.

                      "The Studebaker-Packard Corporation was the entity created by the purchase of the Studebaker Corporation of South Bend, Indiana, by the Packard Motor Car Company of Detroit, Michigan, in 1954. While Studebaker was the larger of the two companies, Packard's balance sheet and executive team were stronger than that of the South Bend company."

                      I'm afraid your friend was right.
                      James J. Nance was President & Chief Executive of Packard Motor Car Company since 1952 and became president of Studebaker-Packard. He found Studebaker's financial situation to be in such dire straights that he had to engineer the deal with Curtis-Wright which allowed the enterprise to continue. He had tried to engineer a 4-way merger with Nash, Hudson, and Studebaker but that was not to be. I am including an interesting link regarding this Packard Executive. He can credited to saving Studebaker at that time.

                      http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1956-p...-executive.htm
                      Last edited by jnfweber; 09-02-2013, 11:36 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Jack, in Montana

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I had my Avanti at a car show and a guy said to his kid "Uncle Fred had one just like that, with a Ford 289 motor"
                        1996 Impala SS
                        1967 Jag XKE FHC
                        1963 Avanti R2
                        1963 Avanti R1
                        1956 Packard Patrician
                        1948 Jag Mk IV DHC
                        1909 Hupmobile Model 20

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          When My Dad bought His new '55 Studebaker President State Sedan, The dealer (Tony Kibart of Kibart Motor Sales, Brockton, Mass.) assured Him it was powered by a Packard V8, and My Dad, who wasn't a 'car guy', always said that His Studebaker had a Packard V8 under its hood!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                            The more interesting and/or exciting fiction makes difficult work for the mundane facts.

                            My daily newspaper carries a Saturday auto enthusiast column by a writer who disseminates one or more easily fact-checked mistakes each week. Two weeks ago he ran a quote from the original owner of an early Lark 259" V8 hardtop who said something like, "It has the powerful Packard V8 and my wife was always getting speeding tickets." How a guy has owned a car for fifty years and still hadn't gotten that straightened out boggles the mind. How the other guy can get paid for expert writing about cars is even more inexplicable.

                            jack vines
                            Similar situation here. There must be a special test that these guys have to pass or union they have to join before they can get these jobs. Just think -- in the pre-Google days, they would have had to go to their local library to check their facts.
                            Skip Lackie

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think I have a '61 Kaiser Lark. It has the Packard 259 V-8 that Ford used in the Falcon and early Mustang but they called it a 260. When Studebaker got bought by GM in the '60s and went to Canada, they sold all old the engines to AMC. Except for the 289. Everyone knows that was used by Ford. Chrysler bought the rest of the leftover parts and built the 360 Dodge engine which had interchangeable parts with the AMC 360 used in the big Jeeps...Hence...The Kaiser Jeep. Who doesn't know that!!! Now it's in print on the computer. It MUST be true!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X