Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you know Packard made the Studebaker V8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corley
    replied
    Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    Yes, Packard engineers of course had nothing to do with designing the Stude V8....Thankfully! (Look at the problems THEIR V8 had/has)
    Me thinks you are a brave man, McGee... INCOMING!!!

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Yes, Packard engineers of course had nothing to do with designing the Stude V8....Thankfully! (Look at the problems THEIR V8 had/has)

Leave a comment:

• GThawkwind
    replied
    Originally posted by mmagic View Post
    I had remembered that the "merger" was technically an acquisition by the Packard Corporation of Studebaker for reasons like tax loss carry forward advantage etc. Wikipedia says it was that way as well.

"The Studebaker-Packard Corporation was the entity created by the purchase of the Studebaker Corporation of South Bend, Indiana, by the Packard Motor Car Company of Detroit, Michigan, in 1954. While Studebaker was the larger of the two companies, Packard's balance sheet and executive team were stronger than that of the South Bend company."

I'm afraid your friend was right.
    Still that dorsn't mean they made the studebaker V8, they just owned it. I bet he wasthinking of the packard powered hudsons.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Originally posted by mmagic View Post
    My remembrance as well. Technically speaking, Packard bought Studebaker, changed its own name to Studebaker-Packard Corporation and phased out production of its own designs.

Leave a comment:

• mmagic
    replied
    I had remembered that the "merger" was technically an acquisition by the Packard Corporation of Studebaker for reasons like tax loss carry forward advantage etc. Wikipedia says it was that way as well.

"The Studebaker-Packard Corporation was the entity created by the purchase of the Studebaker Corporation of South Bend, Indiana, by the Packard Motor Car Company of Detroit, Michigan, in 1954. While Studebaker was the larger of the two companies, Packard's balance sheet and executive team were stronger than that of the South Bend company."

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeMann View Post
    It must be true because I heard it from the owner of a 41 Chevy hot rod last night. He wasn't impressed when I corrected his version of the Studebaker & Packard merger either.
    So does this mean that the R7 or 8 Studebaker V-8 found in the limited production in 1965 and 66 was a 352 Packard V-8?

Leave a comment:

• StudeMann
    started a topic Did you know Packard made the Studebaker V8?

Did you know Packard made the Studebaker V8?

It must be true because I heard it from the owner of a 41 Chevy hot rod last night. He wasn't impressed when I corrected his version of the Studebaker & Packard merger either.
Working...
X