No announcement yet.

Rolled the Speedster out for frame check and a bath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have that body so close to being able to dip it, that it is a shame not to go that extra mile and really clean it up! Tain't cheap though.
    Corley

Comment

Originally posted by 63avanti. View Post
      Looking good! Its nice to see cars from start to finish.. gives me motivation to start on mine some day..
      I suggest you start on yours here: http://www.ganttproject.biz/

It costs you nothing and building it on paper will provide both motivation and guidance to do it for real. I set up categories like: 1) Purchases; 2) Frame; 3) Body; 4) Mechanical; 5) Interior and trim . I build detail in each of thee categories and define predecessors ( what needs to be done first and lead times ).

Then as you actually build keep tweaking the chart and use color to check off the tasks completed so you visualize what you've accomplished instead of the mountain of work ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Corley View Post
        You have that body so close to being able to dip it, that it is a shame not to go that extra mile and really clean it up! Tain't cheap though.
        You got me thinking.... But after consideration I think the original plan meets my objectives of a high driver rather than a show car. The car is cleaning up real well and I've found only 3 or 4 pencil size touches of bondo... no rust except for a few stone chips so hidden rust is not an issue. Inner body panels are one place dipping might have made a difference... but even there I'm containing attacking and sealing with MS.

Thanks for the thought

Comment

Mmagic,

What did you use to strip it down to metal? I see what looks like an electric random orbital sander lying on the floor. I downloaded the Ganttproject.biz and watched the 15 minute tutorial but can not grasp it yet. Would it be possible to attach your Gannt file on the speedster to an email and send it so I can see what a real live plan of action looks like? I have a 1955 sedan off the frame and at about the same stage as yours. If that would not be too personal I can PM you with my email address.

Charlie D.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie D View Post
            Mmagic,

What did you use to strip it down to metal? I see what looks like an electric random orbital sander lying on the floor. I downloaded the Ganttproject.biz and watched the 15 minute tutorial but can not grasp it yet. Would it be possible to attach your Gannt file on the speedster to an email and send it so I can see what a real live plan of action looks like? I have a 1955 sedan off the frame and at about the same stage as yours. If that would not be too personal I can PM you with my email address.

Charlie D.
            I'll Gladdly share the Gantt chart... e-mail me at merlin@mklotz.com

To strip the paint I used an angle grinder with 120 grit flapper. I use very little pressure on this to quickly skim off most of the 2 or 3 layers of paint and primers, barely touching the metal. I move with relatively quick, lite strokes with this as it is very aggressive.

I followup with a DA sander with 60 grit to clean up. Stripping with this technique is about 10 to 12 hours. I will spend a few more going over the whole car making sure I got it all. I'll next wipe it down with oil and wax remover then wipe it with OSPHO to turn any rust spots to iron phosphate. Next to epoxy sealer etc.

Comment

Thank you!! I have sent an email.

Comment

I built a "high driver", too. No regrets. Looking great. I like the wheels, too. I have Speedster caps, but the weight and balancing is enough to convince me to leave 'em off, too.
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                X