Rolled the Speedster out for frame check and a bath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolled the Speedster out for frame check and a bath

Rolled the Speedster out for frame check and a bath.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1596.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1740398Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1589.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1740400Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1587.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1740401Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1588.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1740399

Door sag is gone. Body alignment is great. Working on the 20 item odds and ends check list before I turn to body and paint.

Cleaned, wire brushed, masked and flooded the gutter top and bottom, windshield and rear window pinch welds with MS sealer. Interior gets a second coat of MS before we move to the outside.

It's going to look nice when it's done. What colors?
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Congo Ivory and Pimlico Gray.... here is the target look.

Name:	27Stude.jpg
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	1683433

Comment

I see a TON of work there ! Keep up the momentum. You'll be seeing a light in the end of the tunnel before you know it

Comment

Looking good! Its nice to see cars from start to finish.. gives me motivation to start on mine some day..

Comment

The work you have done so far is "First Class"...keep us posted...

Comment

If Chip Foose hasn't tried to recruit you for "Overhaulin'", he aught to! The speed at which you're completing this build is staggering. I'm highly impressed. Keep it up!
              '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                You'll be seeing a light in the end of the tunnel before you know it
                The light came on when the frame came off and I was able to give it a coat of MS !

In any project there is progress and there is the appearance of progress and they seldom occur together. When you lay this effort out on the Gantt Chart, it is obvious that this part of the project has more appearance than actual progress. The Gantt Chart also keeps priorities straight and parts and supplies arriving in time for the next piece of the puzzle. It also keeps one motivated to sit down after the nightly news and change the color on several more boxes on the chart. Today, I'm anxious to get to color but the Chart says I have 14 little things that must be done first... motivation to get those details behind me.

Color to the shell is actually about 30 days behind original schedule but by changing plans and dropping the frame about 15 to 20 days of work moved ahead so we remain in range for a Jan 31 test drive date... I'm looking at a re-election or a campaign for a different position in 2014 that will require considerable time so Jan 31 is more or less a drop dead date.

Comment

Yes, the Pimlico/Ivory paint combo can clearly be seen at 'roof halo' area. You are doing a great job here...I'm very impressed....Another '55 President Speedster on its way back!!

Comment

Picked those wheels up off Craigslist for rollers.... I'm liking the look of them on this car when I don't feel like wearing the wire caps or until I get the wire caps refurb'd.

Comment

Looks like a nice rust free car. Should be a real joy to work on and look good when done. Keep up the work.

Comment

LA built car that lived in AZ. Very little rust on the shell... Rockers, right trunk seal channel and spot at front of both wheel wells... and only one small crease to pull on left side. All sun bake surface rust and 50 gallons of AZ dust, dirt and oil cake but that beats restoring midwest salt rust.

Front clip however came out of WI and looks like 40 grit sandpaper. Wire brushed it down good, OSPHO and MS a year ago... Patch panels and lots of attention coming up. Budgeted twice as much time for the clip as the shell.

Comment

The Gantt chart reference warms the heart of this old, retired project manager.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Radio ...

With a CPA background, I cannot imagine not building a car or project on paper before I build it for real. If you don't know where you're going you likely won't get there. I use Ganttproject.biz an open source product.

Lost yesterday chasing all over Denver trying to find enough yarn for the wife to finish a project. Today by 10:00 I got back on the car and by 5:00 I had half a car at bare metal.

Name:	IMAG1606.jpg
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1683453

Comment

When I overhauled airliners, we called it "visual progress". For days on end we would work like crazy, but it looked like nothing was getting done. When all the detail work was finished and the interior started going back in, things appeared to move quickly.

Mark
                              Mark L

Comment

Working...
                              X