No announcement yet.

1957 Broadmoor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan, you're a better owner for that car than I would've ever been. Still glad that you ended up with it.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
      Dan, you're a better owner for that car than I would've ever been. Still glad that you ended up with it.
      You SCRAPPED the original President wheels? Were they somehow damaged?

Comment

There was nothing magic or different about President wheels than any other Studebaker wheel in '57, just steel wheels.
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
          There was nothing magic or different about President wheels than any other Studebaker wheel in '57, just steel wheels.
          This is an incorrect statement....the President wheels were wider than, say, a Champion wheel...and they should be saved if at all possible!

Comment

Did you offer to buy the car Ed?
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The car was on Ebay. You should've bought it Ed.

6 months ago, I moved 240 miles with only a pickup truck. An old set of wheels weren't high on the priority list of things worth moving. I think I also scrapped a mangled Packard Hawk front bumper, some old Jaguar Dayton wire wheels, and a couple hundred pieces of Studebaker stainless.

In talking to a friend today, we're going to be cutting and scrapping some rusty Stude cars this week.

And you know what? I sleep just fine at night.

You're extremely comical entertainment, Mr. SN-60.

Sorry for hijacking your post, Swiftster.

I had just shy of $6k invested in my Broadmoor, and Dan bought it for a little more than that. I think that's in the ballpark of what a decent driver one would be worth.. If you could find one. My car had a new brake system (not including the booster), stainless dual exhaust, new aluminum kidney bean wheels and new tires, a professionally rebuilt carb, and lots of other little things. It had a few rust issues, but ran, drove, stopped, and had an absolutely perfect interior. I had Rene Harger make a new carpet set, but the rest was immaculate original.
              Last edited by mbstude; 09-02-2013, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Matthew, no problem. Ed seems to like to tell everyone else what they should do with their car. The more I get to my Daytona, the more I'll hear what I should do...

As far as the move...FSU?
                Last edited by Swifster; 09-02-2013, 09:22 AM.
                Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                  Matthew, no problem. Ed seems to like to tell everyone else what they should do with their car. The more I get to my Daytona, the more I'll hear what I should do...

As far as the move...FSU?
                  Matthew, Swifster....I'm not buying into Your 'pitch'....once these parts are gone..THEIR GONE..If You guys HAVE to scrap good Studebakers and/or their parts, please don't act so darn happy about it! Okay??

Comment

If anyone knows where I can get the front fender "Broadmoor" name plates let me know! The last NOS set that SASCO had "disappeared" during the move to the new Studebaker International location in SB. Would even settle for some loaners I could use to make some copies.
                    Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    58 C Cab
                    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I loaned a set of Broadmoor scripts to a guy on the forum here that were good enough to be used for copies. I got the one in poor shape back but never got the better one back. I am hoping that someday they can be reproduced but there is not enough interest to make it profitable for someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
                        If anyone knows where I can get the front fender "Broadmoor" name plates let me know! The last NOS set that SASCO had "disappeared" during the move to the new Studebaker International location in SB. Would even settle for some loaners I could use to make some copies.
                        You might consider using the '57 'PRESIDENT' fender nameplates...I believe the mount pins line up the same...and the President nameplates add a touch of 'class' to the vehicle!

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                          Here's the one I owned for a bit. It was a cool car and I'm glad I owned it, but it needed a little more work than I was willing (or able) to give it.

This is an early car, body number 16. I'm still convinced it was a factory show car, it had every single option listed on the build sheet except for power windows and AC. It was also sold 6 months after it was built, and I have a hard time believing that this car sat on a dealer's lot for half a year. I played with it, dolled it up, and got it operable. It's now the car Dan White owns.

Don't care for the stock wheels, but that wagon is nice looking. I didn't realize the fins came out that far past the rear hatch. Pretty cool...
                          sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                          Regal Deluxe Trim
                          Automatic transmission
                          46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

[QUOTE=mbstude

In talking to a friend today, we're going to be cutting and scrapping some rusty Stude cars this week.

And you know what? I sleep just fine at night.

You're extremely comical entertainment, Mr. SN-60.

[/QUOTE]

Whenever possible, I do always try to 'keep it light' Matt,.... Still, I'd like You to try and find a home for Your surplus Studebaker parts before merrily 'cutting and scrapping' them. Have You ever thought about using the 'STUDE FREEBEE' section in the Turning Wheels classifieds?

Comment

Originally posted by deco_droid View Post
                              Don't care for the stock wheels, but that wagon is nice looking. I didn't realize the fins came out that far past the rear hatch. Pretty cool...
                              Since we have Three of these '57 Wagons in our Family, one of which since 1964, I have been asked numerous times if it had a Continental Kit on it once or what.

A little Studebaker History.
                              Being a smaller Independent Co. there certainly was not Millions of Dollars laying around for re-Engineering, Re-Designing, remaking Wooden Bucks, Tooling, making and stocking new parts etc., etc. every YEAR or two like the Big Three did.

So since the Wagon Body was just created in '53 for the '54 Model Year run Conestoga's and a lot of money spent, there had to be a way to stay competitive, and they were watching very carefully what the Big 3 were doing and going to do.

So it would not be much of a stretch to say that to keep up with the newest, longest, lowest looking Cars; the Plymouth, and the rest of the Chrysler Corp. lineup, something had to be done about the stubby looking '56 design.

It was relatively easy and not too expensive to create new longer rear fenders for the Sedan and leave the Body basically alone. But in the Wagon's case, it needed to match the new longer, lower look '57 Sedans.

To do that, they simply did the same thing which left a nice little fireman's riding position shelf or a grocery getter's package tray to set stuff on while opening the Tailgate!
                              Of course for reasons already mentioned, there was NO WAY to explain to the Board of Directors how a limited market body type would need a completely NEW Body after only THREE years, especially not in 1956 or 1957.

The other issue is, they were buying a Brand New modified 2 Door Wagon, 4 Door Wagon Body that year as well!

Studebaker was able to make good use of that design with minor mods up to 1959, and with more major ones to 1961 for the 2 Door we are talking about.
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 09-04-2013, 05:48 PM.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X