Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corley
    replied
    Sometimes a local glass shop can have your windshield glass shipped in for way less than you can get it shipped to you. They bulk ship a lot of glass in at one time, and have the channel established for that purpose. If you have a GOOD local glass shop, give them a try. Personally, if they are older experienced guys, I'd let them install it too, unless you feel really good about doing it. I've had successes and failures...

Not all glass shops are competent though. Last year I took the old GMC motorhome in to the local glass shop to have a small rock chip repaired, the guy first charged me $75, then proceeded to break his diamond bit off in the windshield, and leave it there with about 1/4" of the shank sticking out to tear up the wiper blade. There was no way to remove the bit, it is stuck forever. Of course since the shank was filling the hole he was trying to make to inject the resin, the repair also did not take place, but he pointed to some fine print in the receipt saying they did those repairs on a "best effort" basis, with no guarantee and no refunds. I used my Dremmel tool to grind away the end of the shank, but the bit is still in the glass, as are the growing cracks. At about $600 per side for those large glass windshields, I'll live with it for now...
    Last edited by Corley; 09-02-2013, 06:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    I found a place not that far from here that has a listing for Studebaker windshields. Might be too far for you but perhaps they can refer someone.

http://socalclassicautoglassconnecti...Home_Page.html

Leave a comment:

• sactorandy
    replied
    I got the new windshield for my 55 Champion K Body from Kidwell Glass in Orangvale CA (Sacramento). They installed it perfectly using the old gasket. I couldn't be more satisfied. Any good glass vendor should be able to get you a new windshield. Some will not be familiar with how to install it.

Leave a comment:

• Jet Green Daytona
    replied
    I used this company to get a windshield for my Daytona, the glass was reasonable, but I paid a lot for shipping. Shipping should be a little less for you, since they are on the same coast. http://www.bobsclassicautoglass.com/index.html

Hope that might be helpful to you.

Todd

Leave a comment:

• stude dude
    replied
    Originally posted by Michelles Pops View Post
    We need a windshield for a 55 President. If anyone knows what models used the same one I'd appreciate the info. So far all I can find is lots of NO don't have it.
    We're going to have to get busy on the project Michelle,Jim & I will be making the trip to Vacaville for the 57 on Monday.
    Wish us luck the yard is getting full of FUN.
    Barry
    1955 mid year wrap around glass is the same up to 1958. Even though the 1958 roof is flatter, the windshield opening is still the same.

1959-60 looks similar but is about 1" lower across the top.

Chris.

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    replied
    55-58 IS CORRECT. As long as you have the later series wrap around style "Ultra vista or ultra vision" or something. Sorry, couldn't find a pic of the car you purchased.

Leave a comment:

• 55 56 PREZ 4D
    replied
    Do a search for Stude glass vendors.
    You may find one closer, less shipping cost.
    "candbstudebakers" on this site is near Citrus Heights he may have one. Used.
    There is another thread about "Vic Phillips" he is a glass vendor, may want to check with them.
    There is something about the new glass, it's thinner I think, so make sure to get the correct gasket.
    Last edited by 55 56 PREZ 4D; 09-01-2013, 05:14 PM. Reason: added stuff

Leave a comment:

• Michelles Pops
    replied
    I'll call in the am to make sure they've got it in stock and put this behind me. I appreciate all the help from everyone on the forum.
    Barry

Leave a comment:

• 55 56 PREZ 4D
    replied
    Studebaker International has windshields listed as:
    # 308010, clear, 55 and 56-58
    # 308011, tinted, 55 and 56-58
    Same parts for all years.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
    I believe 55 1/2, 56, and 57 are the same. 58 differed as they lowered the roof IIRC. they made glass changes thru 62 although they look alike.

The '55 to '58 Body Parts Catalog has an error or two concerning Tinted vs Clear USA vs Canada, but it does appear that '56 to '58 are all the same, with '55 Wraparound Different, and then '59-'60 Different and are a no fit.

The '61 and '62 are also by their self with square corners.

So the OP's answer is sorry no, you can only use a '55.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-01-2013, 03:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 57pack
    replied
    Originally posted by Michelles Pops View Post
    If only I was a little closer.
    Barry
    Yes, Barry that always happens to me! Needed a hood for my 57 Packard, guess where I found one?
    In your town of Red Bluff California!
    Maybe if you could connect with someone coming west with a truck or large RV perhaps with one or two transfers it might happen. Even someone in this forum may have a idea or connection? Start a new thread with that request, who knows!

Leave a comment:

• Michelles Pops
    replied
    Originally posted by 57pack View Post
    I have a good not perfect windshield I removed from a 1957 Studebaker President four door sedan.
    It is clear, not tinted and has some sand pits, no chips or Bullseyes.
    It is free to someone who can use it, person who needs it would have to arrange pickup and or shipping.
    I can bring to York swap meet this spring.
    If only I was a little closer.
    Barry

Leave a comment:

• 57pack
    replied
    I have a good not perfect windshield I removed from a 1957 Studebaker President four door sedan.
    It is clear, not tinted and has some sand pits, no chips or Bullseyes.
    It is free to someone who can use it, person who needs it would have to arrange pickup and or shipping.
    I can bring to York swap meet this spring.

Leave a comment:

• Sdude
    replied
    Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
    I believe 55 1/2, 56, and 57 are the same. 58 differed as they lowered the roof IIRC. they made glass changes thru 62 although they look alike.
    If that's the case, you're gonna need two.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X