Hawk Is Home From The Hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk Is Home From The Hospital

Driving back to NJ from the Northeast Zone Meet in Mass. the Flight O Matic in my 61 Hawk became a little more automatic in that decided itself when to downshift and when not to upshift. It started dropping in second around 40 and would stay there until 60.

At any rate I went to the local AAMCO. This place rebuilt it 27 years ago and was great. They have since changed hands but once again I was very impressed. The mechanic actually used the term Throttle Pressure Rod. He knew about second gear start in Studebakers. When they tore it down, they called me to look at the parts. They advised what they thought, but asked how far I wanted to go in replacing things. I got the car back today as I was told I would. I only drove it about 10 miles so far, but plan on a good ride tomorrow. So far so good.

I feel real lucky these guys seemed on top of their old car game!
    Last edited by jg61hawk; 08-29-2013, 06:30 PM.

Hi JG, if you don't have anything planned for Saturday, why don't you go to the car show at the Friendly's on Rt 9 in Old Bridge? I believe people start showing up at 4pm. I'll be there with the Daytona.

Todd

Comment

Jim, what was wrong with your transmission and what did your mechanic have too say about it ?
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

You are lucky to have a trustworthy and competent AAMCO shop near you. The ones I am familiar with are not savvy about vintage transmissions and are mostly interested in upselling and overcharging.

Comment

First...Todd I can't make that show but you better make the Cherry Hill meet...you can walk there if need be! I posted here but also posted in the "TECH" section because the AAMCO tech. raised my shift points...see the link.
          Transmission:
          Is It Ok To Hold Second Until 40 By Choice
          I think the old gal was just worn out. The transmission was last touched (embarassed here) 27 years ago. I mean really other than replacing leaking fluid that transmission was not touched. AAMCO found a bunch of problems. The probable cause of my actual shifting situation was there is tube held in place by a clip in the pan???? That apparently fell out of where it belongs. The transmission in general was tired. They showed me the parts. I don't know transmissions...but I know bearing surfaces and friction plates...It was time. Thank you Hawk for getting me home to NJ from Mass. Fighters those old gals are!!! She really was belly aching after the the Tappen Zee. Down shifting, not up shifting, revving the engine....The engine went along rolling its eyes....telling me..."The transmission is a bitch". I would say, " I know be patient she is old too." "Oh come on" the engine would roar, "I'm tired too". "YOU"! I WOULD EXCLAIM>>>"I'm 55 with no A/C and if you two can't get along who the hell will be walking??? ME."

Comment

No Worries JG, I will be in Cherry Hill on Friday and Saturday. I even preregistered and scheduled the days off from work on January 2nd of this year.

You probably won't be missing anything for tonight's show, the weather is becoming questionable, but I am still planning on making it, as long as its not raining when I head out.

Todd

Comment

Working...
            X