No announcement yet.

Home plating kit ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I set up a Caswell zinc line in my garage to plate some screws and other small parts and it worked pretty good. Zinc by itself is not really a corrosion inhibitor, so I plated with zinc and sprayed on Eastwoods flat clear and it looked great and has lasted for more than 5 years. I sandblasted the parts, cleaned them in Marine clean, used Caswells soap in my wifes crock pot for the hot caustic, used the neighbors pool acid for the acid dip, and rinsed in some nice stainless pot from the Salvation Army store and used a small dead battery for the plating. You do not need much current to get this started. I also used my wifes electric egg timer and a Radio Shack remote thermometer to check the bath temps and keep the process repeatable. The other great thing about Caswells is they help you think about how you are going to responsibley dispose of the chemicals. Anybody wanna stop by for a one pot meal?
    Bill
    http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
    sigpic

Comment

I set up a Caswell zinc line in my garage to plate some screws and other small parts and it worked pretty good. Zinc by itself is not really a corrosion inhibitor, so I plated with zinc and sprayed on Eastwoods flat clear and it looked great and has lasted for more than 5 years. I sandblasted the parts, cleaned them in Marine clean, used Caswells soap in my wifes crock pot for the hot caustic, used the neighbors pool acid for the acid dip, and rinsed in some nice stainless pot from the Salvation Army store and used a small dead battery for the plating. You do not need much current to get this started. I also used my wifes electric egg timer and a Radio Shack remote thermometer to check the bath temps and keep the process repeatable. The other great thing about Caswells is they help you think about how you are going to responsibley dispose of the chemicals. Anybody wanna stop by for a one pot meal?
      Bill
      http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
      sigpic

Comment

A pot of caustic chili sounds good,Bill!

LaSalle,Il
        61Hawk
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

A pot of caustic chili sounds good,Bill!

LaSalle,Il
          61Hawk
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Bill, you might look in my garage. Some of my junk might be useful. Now I know why I do not throw anything away! It may be useful someday.

Comment

Bill, you might look in my garage. Some of my junk might be useful. Now I know why I do not throw anything away! It may be useful someday.

Comment

Yes I have one from a company around Naples, FL . . . it cost me more like $1000.00 including all the chemicals. But I was really using mine for the house. I wanted to have coppers hinges and door knobs and some of the aluminum pieces in the house also could be copper plated. Plus, I also had small part on the Skyhawk I wanted done in chrome so it was a win, win idea.

I got some of the copper stuff done then I worked on a mirror for my bother Silver Hawk (pot metal) That got me from doing any plating for a long time. Never again will I do pot metal. It is easy but also tricky . . know the setting for the different metals and taking time to polish between the steps. The hindges and door knob stuff is easy its the other stuff that can get on your nerves. Zinc stuff sound easy too.

I thought about doing the 2 duces on the Transtar in chrome then I had another beer and decided screw it. <G>[^]

Rick Courtier

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
                1956 Transtar
                1905 Farm Wagon
                Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
                1905 Farm Wagon

Comment

Yes I have one from a company around Naples, FL . . . it cost me more like $1000.00 including all the chemicals. But I was really using mine for the house. I wanted to have coppers hinges and door knobs and some of the aluminum pieces in the house also could be copper plated. Plus, I also had small part on the Skyhawk I wanted done in chrome so it was a win, win idea.

I got some of the copper stuff done then I worked on a mirror for my bother Silver Hawk (pot metal) That got me from doing any plating for a long time. Never again will I do pot metal. It is easy but also tricky . . know the setting for the different metals and taking time to polish between the steps. The hindges and door knob stuff is easy its the other stuff that can get on your nerves. Zinc stuff sound easy too.

I thought about doing the 2 duces on the Transtar in chrome then I had another beer and decided screw it. <G>[^]

Rick Courtier

Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
                  1956 Transtar
                  1905 Farm Wagon
                  Rick Courtier

1956 Sky Hawk
                  1905 Farm Wagon

Comment

I thought about doing the 2 duces on the Transtar in chrome then I had another beer and decided screw it. <G>

Where's Calvin when you need him.....lol
                    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

I thought about doing the 2 duces on the Transtar in chrome then I had another beer and decided screw it. <G>

Where's Calvin when you need him.....lol
                      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Working...
                      X