Nearly complete (finally)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rknight89 View Post

I had to stick with Flamingo. Both Rumble Seat Larks were painted flamingo... If I had to choose a color, I think yours (now) looks better. However, flamingo was correct for this one and that's what I elected to stay with. When I found it in the barn long ago, somebody had painted it red. It looked like they applied the paint with a dead chicken and a melted snickers bar. It was HORRIBLE! Looking better now. As 'unusual' (ugly?) as flamingo is...it's back to original. Looks like you started with a lot more car than I did. Every time I shut the door, mine lost 3 pounds. The frame wasn't broken, but, badly bent due to rot, time and gravity(and the family of peacocks living in it). Looking at your wheels then and now...were they always body color? Mine were off white and that's how I repainted them. Just wondered if body color was an option?
    Don't get me wrong.. I like Flamingo..

However, I'm doing this car for my sister. My dad restored this in 79 for her. She never drove it because of the color.
    Two years ago, she said I'd like to get my car out of Dad's yard and fixed up. I said OK.. And she said, "I just don't want it Pink!"
    I told her "it was Flamingo."

Can you post pictures on the mechanism they used to articulate the trunk like that, maybe with some dimensions.

It is a great car you have.. I'm not second guessing your decision to go back to Flamingo either.

Looking at your wheels then and now...were they always body color? Mine were off white and that's how I repainted them. Just wondered if body color was an option?
    Originally posted by studegary View Post

1961 Lark wheels were argent.
    These wheels were always Flamingo and came that way from the factory. I remember when my dad picked it up from the first owner. It was rough and damaged on the front left before he fixed it up the first time.. At 17 I can still remember sanding down the rims for him to paint and they were that color..

Maybe just a oddity they did to Flamingo Convertibles in 61!

I went with big Disc Brakes so these are mopar wheels.. I still have the originals wheels stored, someplace..
    Last edited by SScopelli; 09-13-2013, 05:33 PM.

Comment

They are the bumper guards that were on the car when I found it...They don't seem to fit quite right... I've switched sides (R. to L.) and it was worse!!! Not sure why, but that's just the way it is! The bumper was in BAD shape when I found her, so maybe the chrome plating shop got it straightened the best they could. We assumed it was ok until we put it together perhaps??? Something to address in the future I guess.
      I'm thinking that if you turned the guards upside down they might fit a 1954-1964 C/K. Hmmm?
      sigpic
      Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Originally posted by L
        Has anyone done a piece about the rumble seat cars and how they were fabricated so that others might choose to do a knockoff that's a custom car, but an appropriate copy if they chose?
        Many years ago(I think 1990) in Turning Wheels there was some mention of the 4 rumble seat cars. Fred Fox and Richard Quinn had discussed them a little bit. Every once in a while something pops up on the forum. Also, I met the Cooley Brothers back in the mid 90's and talked with them about the conversion. I took notes, so I do have some technical info on the parts they used and fabricated when they built my car. The hinge mechanism was fabricated and took weeks to get right. Most other parts were sourced from other cars.

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
          Don't get me wrong.. I like Flamingo..

Can you post pictures on the mechanism they used to articulate the trunk like that, maybe with some dimensions.

It is a great car you have.. I'm not second guessing your decision to go back to Flamingo either.

I know I have some pictures of the hinge mechanism. I'll find them and post them soon.

Comment

Thanks for saving this unique piece of Studebaker history! And bravo to you for returning the car to its original Flamingo paint (for the sake of originality), even though it is far from your favorite color. Kudos to you!
            ~Matt Connor
            '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3310024.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1683706Click image for larger version

Name:	PA140018.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1683707Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0673.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1683708
              I know I have some pictures of the hinge mechanism. I'll find them and post them soon.
              Here's a few pics of the rumble seat meachanism that you were looking for.

Comment

Extremely interesting!!

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post

These wheels were always Flamingo and came that way from the factory. I remember when my dad picked it up from the first owner. It was rough and damaged on the front left before he fixed it up the first time.. At 17 I can still remember sanding down the rims for him to paint and they were that color..

Maybe just a oddity they did to Flamingo Convertibles in 61!
                  I don't know how you can make that statement since the car was already modified when it was delivered by the dealer to the first retail owner.

I can not imagine Studebaker painting five wheels Flamingo and 352,795 wheels Argent. The wheels were not with the bodies when the bodies were painted. The wheels may have even come from the wheel vendor already painted Argent.

This car was modified post-Studebaker production and pre-retail sale, by the dealer. If the wheels were Flamingo at the time of initial retail delivery, I would think that this was done when the rumble seat modification was done.

It is a rare and interesting car, but we need to keep in mind that it is a modified car. The rumble seat was neither built by Studebaker nor authorized by them.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well, split the difference. Since the rumble seat accessory was done by the dealer, if the dealer painted the rims body color when they sold the car, that would make body color rims appropriate for this iteration.

I'm curious about the mounting point of the hinge mechanism. It looks like the X stamping was there originally as part of the body panel, is this true? It just catches my eye for some reason, I can't imagine the dealership manufacturing specially stamped body pieces to replace the originals.

Two, my first thought when I saw the photos was, I'd want padding along the front of the top of the trunk. As I see the close ups, if I were to do a rumble seat knock off, I'd try to fashion some sort of a padded bar particularly seeing in your photos how close it is to the rumble seat rider.

I don't mean to be critical of your restoration(!), and since you have an original, I wouldn't expect you to do this...it's just something I'd consider if I made one. Definitely I'd put in seatbelts regardless of originality. It is a cool looking accessory and you did a terrific job restoring it. Thank you and thank you for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      I don't know how you can make that statement since the car was already modified when it was delivered by the dealer to the first retail owner.

I can not imagine Studebaker painting five wheels Flamingo and 352,795 wheels Argent. The wheels were not with the bodies when the bodies were painted. The wheels may have even come from the wheel vendor already painted Argent.

This car was modified post-Studebaker production and pre-retail sale, by the dealer. If the wheels were Flamingo at the time of initial retail delivery, I would think that this was done when the rumble seat modification was done.

It is a rare and interesting car, but we need to keep in mind that it is a modified car. The rumble seat was neither built by Studebaker nor authorized by them.
                      I think you have the cars mixed up. The rumble seat Lark has the argent wheels. The flamingo one (now yellow)in an earlier post is the one that had the flamingo wheels. I was inquiring about those. As far as the conversion being done by Studebaker...You are correct that they did not do it. As far as being 'authorized' by Studebaker...My understanding is that Studebaker knew about and 'approved it'. There were zone managers and other Studebaker management involved. I believe one of them was named Finney. The idea definitely didn't come from Studebaker nor did the design, construction or $$$. All that was on Mr. Hilker the dealer. Also, it was my understanding from talking to the Cooley Bros. that did the conversion was that Hilker wanted to 'sell' the idea to Studebaker as a production option but that never happened.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                        Well, split the difference. Since the rumble seat accessory was done by the dealer, if the dealer painted the rims body color when they sold the car, that would make body color rims appropriate for this iteration.

I'm curious about the mounting point of the hinge mechanism. It looks like the X stamping was there originally as part of the body panel, is this true? It just catches my eye for some reason, I can't imagine the dealership manufacturing specially stamped body pieces to replace the originals.

Being that this is the only Studebaker I've ever torn into, I'm not sure what the inside of the trunk walls look like on a 'normal' Lark. I agree with you that it is unlikely the dealer would have made a special panel for just four cars. Although I think he had big dreams. Maybe someone can snap a picture of the inside of their trunk and post it for comparison. I'm curious also.

Comment

I think you have the cars mixed up. The rumble seat Lark has the argent wheels. The flamingo one (now yellow)in an earlier post is the one that had the flamingo wheels. I was inquiring about those.
                          You are correct. With a conversation about two Larks in one thread, I got the two cars mixed up.

I just checked the large, color 1961 Lark brochure (PD-61-16). All of the Lark wheels shown are Argent, including on a Flamingo convertible.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I guess I did at least one thing right...Painted the rims correct.

Comment

Working...
                            X