No announcement yet.

Nearly complete (finally)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And I thought 13 yrs to finish my 54K was a long time. In any case, it looks like it was worth the time invested, a very unique and great looking car.

Bob

Comment

That is one SWEET car! congrats!!!

Really nice job and I dig that car. (and the green tank top chick)

Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
        That is one SWEET car! congrats!!!

Really nice job and I dig that car. (and the green tank top chick)

Dean.
        She worked in the upholstery shop. She doesn't go with the car.

Comment

Very Nice Job..

Need the door trim?

I took mine off:

Comment

Originally posted by rknight89 View Post
            Well...she's finally almost done! Here's a couple pics of the Rumble Seat '61 Lark that I've been tinkering with for nearly 25 years. She went on her maiden voyage a couple weeks ago and yesterday I drove her into town to get a wheeel alignment and new exhaust. All I have left to do is put in the side glass and work out a few little bugs. I can't turn off the windshield wipers and the interior lights don't work. Also here are a couple of pics of when I found her in the barn in the summer of 1989. I think she feels better now! Hopefully I get her back from the shop in a few days and can finish the details and still have some summer left to enjoy driving her. I'm happy with how she turned out. Not a professional restoration but it sure will be a great driver...I hope.[ATTACH=CONFIG]26948[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26949[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26950[/ATTACH]
            Great to see pictures of your project ! Hope to see it at a local show sometime. Back in the early 70's, my brother bought the studebaker that started my obsession all these years from Dale Kuhn who had restored the only surviving Rumble seat Hawk, my big thrill at age 15 was to get to help wash it for a parade, Neat Cars !

Comment

what a right royal beauty. Good ONya for gettin her spiffed up and back on the road mate. LOVE IT BIG TIME. Super duper cool.

Comment

I really like your car and applaud you for your work and perseverance.

I hate to sound like a nit-picker, but the front bumperettes bother me. Are they the correct ones for a 1961 Lark bumper (maybe Hawk)? Perhaps they are installed incorrectly - right for left. Something just does not look correct.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  I really like your car and applaud you for your work and perseverance.

I hate to sound like a nit-picker, but the front bumperettes bother me. Are they the correct ones for a 1961 Lark bumper (maybe Hawk)? Perhaps they are installed incorrectly - right for left. Something just does not look correct.
                  They are the bumper guards that were on the car when I found it...They don't seem to fit quite right... I've switched sides (R. to L.) and it was worse!!! Not sure why, but that's just the way it is! The bumper was in BAD shape when I found her, so maybe the chrome plating shop got it straightened the best they could. We assumed it was ok until we put it together perhaps??? Something to address in the future I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by lark63 View Post
                    Great to see pictures of your project ! Hope to see it at a local show sometime. Back in the early 70's, my brother bought the studebaker that started my obsession all these years from Dale Kuhn who had restored the only surviving Rumble seat Hawk, my big thrill at age 15 was to get to help wash it for a parade, Neat Cars !
                    Last I heard...the last surviving rumble seat Hawk was in Michigan. Possibly for sale. Also, last I heard...Dale Kuhn was living in Colorado with one of his kids.

Comment

[QUOTE=SScopelli;776038]Very Nice Job..

Need the door trim?

I took mine off:

Thanks for the offer, but the door trim is now installed. Just have to put the windows in and she's done!

Comment

I assume that you are the same jkseamon that has the gold and white Golden Hawk that I keep an eye on at the museum. If so, I love it and it looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by rknight89 View Post

Thanks for the offer, but the door trim is now installed. Just have to put the windows in and she's done!
                          Went from this in Flamingo:

To this:

Comment

[QUOTE=SScopelli;777252]Went from this in Flamingo:

I had to stick with Flamingo. Both Rumble Seat Larks were painted flamingo... If I had to choose a color, I think yours (now) looks better. However, flamingo was correct for this one and that's what I elected to stay with. When I found it in the barn long ago, somebody had painted it red. It looked like they applied the paint with a dead chicken and a melted snickers bar. It was HORRIBLE! Looking better now. As 'unusual' (ugly?) as flamingo is...it's back to original. Looks like you started with a lot more car than I did. Every time I shut the door, mine lost 3 pounds. The frame wasn't broken, but, badly bent due to rot, time and gravity(and the family of peacocks living in it). Looking at your wheels then and now...were they always body color? Mine were off white and that's how I repainted them. Just wondered if body color was an option?

Comment

[QUOTE=rknight89;778481]
                              Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                              Went from this in Flamingo:

I had to stick with Flamingo. Both Rumble Seat Larks were painted flamingo... If I had to choose a color, I think yours (now) looks better. However, flamingo was correct for this one and that's what I elected to stay with. When I found it in the barn long ago, somebody had painted it red. It looked like they applied the paint with a dead chicken and a melted snickers bar. It was HORRIBLE! Looking better now. As 'unusual' (ugly?) as flamingo is...it's back to original. Looks like you started with a lot more car than I did. Every time I shut the door, mine lost 3 pounds. The frame wasn't broken, but, badly bent due to rot, time and gravity(and the family of peacocks living in it). Looking at your wheels then and now...were they always body color? Mine were off white and that's how I repainted them. Just wondered if body color was an option?
                              1961 Lark wheels were argent.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Very nice piece of history and thanks for getting it back together. Don't you dare say anything bad about your restoration!! Especially in person! You can accept correction about the bumperettes, but otherwise, dammit hold your head up high with this Stude!

Your story about the paint color is funny, even more so than the paint quality description; when I saw the red in the interior shots I was going to ask why you painted it pink instead, I thought the red would have been a good convertible color. Now I know the rest of the story, I'm glad you're keeping it pink. I like the Continental Kit on the car.
                                Has anyone done a piece about the rumble seat cars and how they were fabricated so that others might choose to do a knockoff that's a custom car, but an appropriate copy if they chose?

Comment

Working...
                                X