Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone want or need a six-volt police alternator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone want or need a six-volt police alternator?

Some years ago I cleaned out the garage of the widow of a Studebaker mechanic (dealer shop). One thing in the stash was a Leece-Nevile seven-volt alternator which I believe was a police or heavy duty option in Studebakers. The mounting bracket looks like it would bolt on to a Studebaker V-8. The thing is HEAVY and too big for a large flat rate Priority Mail box. Anyone want it for the shipping cost?
    I have no idea of its condition, but it does turn freely.
    Attached Files
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Any idea how much shipping to Los Angeles, California would be? Thanks.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Yep, fleet part from the yellow section of my Lark catalog. Tom K. had one of these Leece-Nevile units years ago, along with a Motorola alternator setup. I bought the Motorola alternator to use on my Lark, which I did for many years, before going to a 12Si setup, for separate reasons. It was a great alternative to the Prestolites that I was using, because it was a factory install, and was around 45 or 50 amps, with an electronic regulator. The judges wouldn't know what to make of it, until I showed them the installation instructions, and the photo of the install with the "Studebaker" name on the belt!
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Come on Paul, don't you know it's against the rules of the world to drive a car that has a 6 volt electrical system?

At least that's what I've learned on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
          Any idea how much shipping to Los Angeles, California would be? Thanks.
          Sorry. It's already spoken for. Thanks for your interest.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
            Come on Paul, don't you know it's against the rules of the world to drive a car that has a 6 volt electrical system?

I've learned that too, but my '53 doesn't know any better. It's happy with its 6-volt system.
            I had thought about getting the 6-volt alternator rebuilt and using it, but I would have had to add a heavy duty spring on the right front.

Comment

MATTHEW!
              My 52 is still 6 volt too! and I "upgraded" to a 289!!!

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
                Yep, fleet part from the yellow section of my Lark catalog.
                Not for this six volt system part. The Lark parts that you refer to are heavy duty for a 12 volt car. This six volt part is probably for 1953-1955 (way pre-Lark).

I have never converted a six volt Studebaker, or any other car, to 12 volts. I did buy one that was already converted. I have driven the six volt cars all over.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That makes it even more interesting, because it'd be much more fitting for my '55 C/K. This would have to be a special order item for those who couldn't get enough from a standard generator, because just about every Studebaker on the planet at that point had a generator instead. It is a unique item nonetheless.
                  1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

When did alternators become available? I didn't know they were around in the 6 volt era.
                    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                    50 Champion 2 door*
                    53 Commander K Auto*
                    53 Commander K overdrive*
                    55 President Speedster
                    62 GT 4Speed*
                    63 Avanti R1*
                    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
                      That makes it even more interesting, because it'd be much more fitting for my '55 C/K. This would have to be a special order item for those who couldn't get enough from a standard generator, because just about every Studebaker on the planet at that point had a generator instead. It is a unique item nonetheless.
                      They were special options for fleet vehicles, particularly police and fire vehicles.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

We seem to be saying the same thing. Yeah I know it wasn't in the Yellow section as it was six volt alternator, it's way too late for that. But when I mentioned that it was in the Yellow section, I did it as it was a fleet option, or if someone did like I did, told them you wanted it special ordered from Studebaker. Of course, if the waters are gonna get this muddy, saying "screw it", and converting to 12 volts might be a much easier proposition, at least for me, as I've done it 1.5 times already!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                          MATTHEW!
                          My 52 is still 6 volt too! and I "upgraded" to a 289!!!

Jim
                          My '55 Speedster is six volt too!....Never had a problem starting it.... even with the added drag of the supercharger....Just make sure all connections are clean and tight!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Matt, There are no rigid 'Rules Of The World' concerning this!! If You want to keep a six volt system in Your car then I think You should.....And don't let anyone 'bully' You into changing it! Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X