Licensed and Insured - Finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by studelark View Post

I took the serial number and have gone on-line to find it is a model EL-24, apparently a 1937 Light Six Saloon. The aluminum body is in great shape, the grille and bumpers shine, but the wooden frame needs help as the doors sag. The top has rotted and therefore the interior is degraded. It needs someone to take this car and restore it. It is an impressive vehicle. I told him I would do some research on the vehicle and get back with him to help formulate a plan to get it in the hands of someone who would appreciate it. Do you need another Daimler??

Beautiful car, but way beyond my talents and pocketbook.

My Daimler is mostly a Mark 2 Jag and parts for those are relatively easy to find. There are two US vendors that stock almost everything. I'm afraid there is not the same network for an EL-24.

I'll be at an All British Field Meet in Portland this weekend. I'll see if I can find someone interested in your friend's car.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
      I WILL sell it, however. I always do. If I keep them I run out of money and space in a hurry. I know some are the opposite of me and keep the same car (or cars) for a lifetime, but I like the hunt for the projects and doing the work on them.
      Thank God for that. The world needs more Steinkamp restored cars. They are simply exquisite. Can't wait to see what that Daimler looks like when you're done. Keep the right hand drive - maybe Bob will buy it as a back-up for his Zip Van. You can never have too many spare mail delivery vehicles when you are a rural carrier.
      Jon Stalnaker
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

OK...I've hijacked my own thread (is that legal? ) with all this Daimler talk, so I might as well keep going.

I found this today...

August 29: Gottlieb Daimler patents the first motorcycle on this date in 1885

There are actually two companies with the Daimler name.

An English company (pronounced dame-ler) that built limited addition motor cars since the late 1890's...most noted for building cars for the Royal Family. They were purchased by BSA (of firearm and motorcycle fame) in 1910 and sold to Jaguar in 1960.

And a German company (pronounced dime-ler) most noted for their association with Mercedes.

The two companies are not related in any way...other than they are both named after the "father" of the internal combustion engine, Gottlieb Daimler.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by jbwhttail View Post
          Dick, dye the red battery cable black.... all Studes came from factory with both cables black.
          Thanks! I like that idea...

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Lookin' good Dick!!! Maybe we will see you lurking around Eastern Washington soon......

Comment

When someone is doing suspension/restoration work on a Studebaker, you see cars that "sit" all over the spectrum. When asked "how should my Lark look" when talking about how a car sits - this is the photo people need to look at. Beautiful and thanks for sharing.

Comment

I bought this car from Pat Drnec in February of 2012. Pat has built many fine Studebakers including the Daytona hardtop he still owns....

Holly Engine Bays Batman!!

We both need another hobby, I think..

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                  When someone is doing suspension/restoration work on a Studebaker, you see cars that "sit" all over the spectrum. When asked "how should my Lark look" when talking about how a car sits - this is the photo people need to look at. Beautiful and thanks for sharing.
                  I would agree with you that the car is close to stock ride height. It does have overload springs in the back, but I think they just make up for 50 years of regular spring sag.

To tell you the truth, I'm not crazy about the slightly nose up stance of a stock Lark. I may see what I can do to get the rear end up another inch or so. I think I'd be happier with it that way.
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post

Now THAT'S just gorgeous! Fantastic attention to detail (including the routing of the brake booster vacuum hose).

Any other pics of that car?
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks! I like that idea...

It's looking better Dick. Now you need to remove the positive cable and coat it with same stuff you put on the negative cable. You know, so they match. Will you're at it straighten up that negative cable clamp bolt. It's at 45 degrees and needs to be straight.
                      Hows that for being anal.
                      Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                        I
                        Hows that for being anal.
                        Pretty gosh darn good
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I may see what I can do to get the rear end up another inch or so. I think I'd be happier with it that way.
                          totally agree, Mr. S!

when i saw the pic, my first thought was the rear looked too low. i thought maybe it was "just me"...
                          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by studelark View Post
                            Dick, Thank you for the comment about Omaha. That is the one day from all the International Meets I've attended that sticks as glue in my memory. I certainly didn't lose anything by closing up the vendor spaces, but I gained so much in spending the afternoon with you and Studedude on that trip. I was the one honored.
                            You are not often wrong, Frank, but in this instance, you are.

I was the one that was honored!

Truly a special meet for me, in so many ways!
                            sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

Fantastic work Dick! That's what I always hoped this car would look like.

The dash was done at a local independent shop - you just need to find an upholsterer who likes a challenge <g>

Comment

Sebastian, what is that black/silver unit in front of the fuel filter ?
                                Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                                Holly Engine Bays Batman!!

We both need another hobby, I think..

Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                                X