Licensed and Insured - Finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    I agree completely. I had both "in inventory".

On the battery cables, I thought I'd put the red one on + and the black one on -, but I forgot about the different size battery posts ...so I installed them anyway.
    Nothing there that a little bit of red and black paint won't cure. That's what I do when I'm using 'in-stock' cables that are the wrong color.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Another Dick Steinkamp beauty. While not a surprise, most certainly continued testimony to the quality of the work of the man who restored arguably the best Stude custom ever, the Kart Hauler.
      Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
      jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Another fine job. I have always enjoyed your builds.
        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
          Nothing there that a little bit of red and black paint won't cure.
          Do you do red and black chrome?
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by studelark View Post
            Dick; What could I add to what has been said already? It is always a thrill to behold one of your cars on which you have put the Steinkamp label! The highest compliment I've read is Studedude's statement about your ability to take someone's uncompleted project and make it your own. You have a TOUCH with any project I've seen and I envy your ability. This many be a selfish compliment, but I hope for the hobby's sake you have a few more 'projects' in you. Bless you, man.

Frank Drumheller
            Locust Grove, VA
            60S-W6
            M16-52 '48 Studebaker-Boyer fire truck
            Thanks, Frank. I hope I have MANY more projects in me. (they just might not all be Studebakers ) Waiting in the wings is a 1967 Daimler V8-250...essentially a Mark 2 Jaguar with the Daimler 2.5 liter hemi head V8. 4 speed OD....

This wagon still needs a lot of attention. It will keep me busy for a while.

BTW, one of my favorite Studebaker memories. You closing down your vending at the Omaha IM and riding with me to the drags. I was honored!
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by paintim613 View Post
              Another Dick Steinkamp beauty. While not a surprise, most certainly continued testimony to the quality of the work of the man who restored arguably the best Stude custom ever, the Kart Hauler.
              We never did get that picture of the Studebird and the Kart Hauler together.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick,
                Great to have you back posting, you are an inspiration to the rest of us.
                Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                50 Champion 2 door*
                53 Commander K Auto*
                53 Commander K overdrive*
                55 President Speedster
                62 GT 4Speed*
                63 Avanti R1*
                64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I was going to ask when the Wagonaire will be available so that you can find your next project. Now I see that you say that you have more to do on the Wagonaire. Also, you have a Daimler waiting in the wings. It looks like the biggest challenge with the Daimler will be moving the steering wheel, etc. to the other side of the car <G>. What year is the Daimler? - 1963-1964?
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

:O
                    Wow. That is superb!
                    You did a wonderful job!!

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      I was going to ask when the Wagonaire will be available so that you can find your next project. Now I see that you say that you have more to do on the Wagonaire. Also, you have a Daimler waiting in the wings. It looks like the biggest challenge with the Daimler will be moving the steering wheel, etc. to the other side of the car <G>. What year is the Daimler? - 1963-1964?
                      Yes...lots to do still on the Wagonaire (besides the interior). I WILL sell it, however. I always do. If I keep them I run out of money and space in a hurry. I know some are the opposite of me and keep the same car (or cars) for a lifetime, but I like the hunt for the projects and doing the work on them.

The Daimler is a 1967. Jag bought Daimler in 1960 and brought out this car in 62 as an "upscale" Mark 2. They made both through 1969. This one is rather rare with the 4 speed OD...most were automatics. The little hemi is pretty neat. Doesn't sound at all like a Jag 6. Folks wonder if I did some sort of transplant (not that I'd EVER do that! )

I bought it in Canada. It was sold originally in Glasgow, Scotland. It had been sitting for 20 years. I went through the brake system (same Dunlop discs as a Stude, but 4 wheel and 1 1/2" pistons in the back), the fuel system, and ignition. It runs like a top now. I drove it to Seattle a few weeks ago for an all British field meet (200 miles round trip), got 24 MPG, and am driving it to Portland this weekend for the same (550 miles round trip). Paint and interior are original (not nice, but original).

I actually like the right hand drive. It wasn't hard to get used to and it is in keeping with the uniqueness of the car.
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I seem to remember that it was illegal to import a right hand drive car after the 1965 model year. I think that right hand drive cars are now allowed if they are an antique, over 25 years old, which this Daimler now is.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                          Do you do red and black chrome?
                          Nope, just good ole fashioned decorative chrome.
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            I seem to remember that it was illegal to import a right hand drive car after the 1965 model year. I think that right hand drive cars are now allowed if they are an antique, over 25 years old, which this Daimler now is.
                            I'm unsure of the latest rules, but this one was no problem to import (I handled it myself...no broker). Also no problem to license and insure.
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, dye the red battery cable black.... all Studes came from factory with both cables black. At least that is what I was told as they deducted points from my car. BEAUTIFUL wagon, my wife would love to have it as her daily driver.
                              It is an addiction!

Comment

Dick, Thank you for the comment about Omaha. That is the one day from all the International Meets I've attended that sticks as glue in my memory. I certainly didn't lose anything by closing up the vendor spaces, but I gained so much in spending the afternoon with you and Studedude on that trip. I was the one honored.

It is a real coincident that your next project is a Daimler car. Two weeks ago, a friend asked me to stop by a business in Mineral, VA to look at a car that a young employee there had just inherited. My friend said all he knew it was a old foreign car and the young man didn't have a clue where to begin. So I stopped by several days later.

Now, Mineral, VA is just a small town in a mainly rural county, so I wasn't expecting much. When I pulled into the lot, was I caught off guard. I thought I recognized it as a Daimler, but that was the extent of my recognition. The young man came out and told me he didn't know anything about the car other than his father bought it some years ago. It became the subject of a law suit between his father and a previous owner. The Daimler sat in a police impound lot for eight years unprotected. The case was finally decided and as his deceased father's only son, he now owns a Daimler. I now felt a little foolish because I couldn't tell the young man anything about the car.

I took the serial number and have gone on-line to find it is a model EL-24, apparently a 1937 Light Six Saloon. The aluminum body is in great shape, the grille and bumpers shine, but the wooden frame needs help as the doors sag. The top has rotted and therefore the interior is degraded. It needs someone to take this car and restore it. It is an impressive vehicle. I told him I would do some research on the vehicle and get back with him to help formulate a plan to get it in the hands of someone who would appreciate it. Do you need another Daimler??

Take care my friend.

Frank Drumheller
                                Locust Grove, VA
                                60S-W6
                                M16-52 '48 Studebaker-Boyer fire truck

Comment

Working...
                                X