Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Anyone Identify This Disc Brake Kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoeHall
    replied
    On another note, if one looks closely at the pic above, notice the king pin grease fitting is a 90 degree type. I install these on all cars with disc brakes, but have never heard anyone else mention it. When I first got this car, it had the OEM grease fittings, and the king pins had not seen grease for many years. Without at least a 45 degree fitting, I cannot see how anyone could ever grease the king pins again, after installing aftermarket DBs.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
    Joe,
    From the photo, it "looks" like one of my early kits, Hard to tell from one photo. I changed to the rear mount on the caliper in early 90's.
    That said, it's a GM metric caliper, Chevelle, Monte Carlo, A body I believe. The pads are the same D-154, rotors are 68-69 Mustang/Cougar.
    On the rear edge of the bracket on the caliper, does it have an ear on it? If so, then definetly one of my kits, and is the "ear" welded on? or formed? There "should" also be a number or date stamped in the brackets.

Jim
    Thanks Jim,
    If the "ear" on the rear edge of bracket blocks the outer pad from moving up on its own, and prohibits the caliper from being removed till the caliper piston is pushed back in, then this one has that ear, and IIRC it was formed.

Also, the caliper mounts are two piece, and bolted together with two, maybe 7/16" bolts. Next time I have the front tires off, I will look closer, and take better pix.

Kinda like vintage speed equipment has came into vogue, maybe vintage Turner brakes will too, and I may just happen to have some of the "vintage" ones. That would be tooo kewl
    Last edited by JoeHall; 08-25-2013, 06:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 52 Ragtop
    replied
    Joe,
    From the photo, it "looks" like one of my early kits, Hard to tell from one photo. I changed to the rear mount on the caliper in early 90's.
    That said, it's a GM metric caliper, Chevelle, Monte Carlo, A body I believe. The pads are the same D-154, rotors are 68-69 Mustang/Cougar.
    On the rear edge of the bracket on the caliper, does it have an ear on it? If so, then definetly one of my kits, and is the "ear" welded on? or formed? There "should" also be a number or date stamped in the brackets.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
    Joe

Those are GM style calipers. Looks like they could possibly be the original Turner setup with the Chevelle et.al. calipers.

Bob
    Thanks Bob,
    If these are Jim T's vintage ones, hopefully he will come on here and let us know.

These have steel braided lines, that look identical to the inferior lines I bought at the Street Rod Nats a few years ago. One of them snapped off at the connection to the caliper, when I cut the wheels all the way to lock, backing out of the driveway. I am going to swap these lines out when re-installing the hydrovac that should be back in a few weeks.

These brakes work great, and are very well made. Just wonder what they are.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    They look like Steel Tech Solutions brakes to me.......Keep on Studebakering
    Definitely not Steal Tech. I've had those, but these are more like Turners. Instead of a blacksmithy look to the marginally thick mounts, these look as heavy duty, neatly cut, and machined as Turners.
    Also, Steal Tech's mount behind the king pins, as do the pix of the Turner kit on another, current thread. These are forward of the king pins; the lines come out the bottom, and the bleeder is on top, facing rearward toward the king pin.
    Last edited by JoeHall; 08-25-2013, 03:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    They look like Steel Tech Solutions brakes to me.......Keep on Studebakering

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Joe

Those are GM style calipers. Looks like they could possibly be the original Turner setup with the Chevelle et.al. calipers.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    started a topic Can Anyone Identify This Disc Brake Kit?

Can Anyone Identify This Disc Brake Kit?

All this time, I have assumed the 63GT to have Turner brakes on the front. But after looking at several close ups of an installed Turner kit on another thread, I now know these are not Turners. Question is, can anyone tell me what they are?Click image for larger version

Name:	63GT DB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	1740352
Working...
X