Air Dams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    Avanti Motors ran into the same problem when they started using electric radiator cooling fans on the '84's. Many of these hot running Avantis were converted back to engine driven clutch fans by their owners (with the factory fan shroud re-installed) and the problem disappeared!
    Whoa- when did Dave's '54 morph into an Avanti II?
    Sorry to hear that this has happened to your ride Dave.
    If my '54 ever does that- I'd park it at the curb on trash day.

StudeDave '57
    Last edited by StudeDave57; 08-26-2013, 08:49 PM. Reason: added stuff
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Hehehe......hoodless! But let's save that one as a last resort after molding a new hood, and all other options have went by the wayside. It'll solve the overheating problems, but somehow, I don't see the hoodless Ford 5 window look being a popular option here
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Why not reverse the fresh air vents so they open to the rear, and install ductwork from the engine compartment to take care of that, and then use a '63/'64 K heater core on the inner fender with ductwork from behind the grille for a heater/fresh air intake?

Craig
        Last edited by 8E45E; 08-26-2013, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Jeezuz, wuzza matter guys???
          Some modify their cars & some don't.
          My own thoughts is that ear-like mirrors are but-ugly... but as I once said to a guy who stated that I HAD TO re-chrome the bumpers on my -53 New Yorker & otherwise I shouldn't be allowed to own such a car: "You can actually buy my car & then do whatever you want with it but until you're the owner of it it's still my car & I'll keep on having it the way I want it!"
          Right?
          Or...?

Hmmm... I'm sorry, I responded without seeing the 2:nd page of the posts...

& the thing with reverse the air-vents is a thought I always found cool but totally forgot about until now...
          Thanx Craig!
          Last edited by Noxnabaker; 08-27-2013, 12:51 AM.

Comment

I have had to install electric fuel pumps and fuel return lines now on seven of my "driver" Studes. It has been necessary because of vapor lock. The engine compartments get hot, thus the underhood fuel lines get hot.

There is, however, one exception. My '64 Champ pick up, equipped with an R-1 engine and 5 speed overdrive, and no electric pump or return line, can drive without overheating or hesitation in weather from 10 degrees to 100 degrees. Now, I do not claim to know why my Champ runs so cool, but I do offer a possible explanation: the sheet rubber fender-to-cowl seals fell off years ago. This leaves a pretty good sized "hole" back there under the hood on each side of the rear part of the engine. I would think this gives the hot air an ample escape route.

Perhaps it is just coincidence. Or, perhaps this is really why the Champ runs so cool. Perhaps others who have the pieces of sheet rubber missing can weigh in ....

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
              Whoa- when did Dave's '54 morph into an Avanti II?
              Sorry to hear that this has happened to your ride Dave.
              If my '54 ever does that- I'd park it at the curb on trash day.

StudeDave '57
              CORRECTION!!......Dave, In 1984, the cars that You seem to dislike so much were referred to as 'AVANTI'S'......Not 'AVANTI II'S' !!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 55coupe View Post
                Just my 2cents have you tryed cutting sections out of the cowl seal? That way air could escape between hood and cowl, it wouldn't be alot but it would not change the look of your car.
                Coincidentally there was a very well done custom 53 at the IM in Colorado Springs. As we were talking about his car I asked him about his use of rubber buttons instead of a cowl seal. He replied that he felt it went along with the buttons on the side, and that someone had pointed out that it provides a vent at the back of the hood. He stated that he did not know whether it helped or not as he had not tried it any other way. But, he says that elephant motor runs nice and cool and he has put over 20k miles on the car.

Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

CORRECTION!!......Dave, In 1984, the cars that You seem to dislike so much were referred to as 'AVANTI'S'......Not 'AVANTI II'S' !!!!!!!!!!!
                  It's not a Studebaker, so I don't really care. Not that I am a big fan of Stude Avantis either.
                  Maybe that's how I got so many of those guys mad at me during that SE Zone Meet back in 2002 or so?
                  That'll teach 'um to let ME be a judge!!!

But staying on topic~
                  I like Craig's idea with the fender vents.
                  Does anyone know if anyone has ever tried that?
                  Seems like it'd be easy enough, sorta.

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                  Coincidentally there was a very well done custom 53 at the IM in Colorado Springs.
                  That is one slick lookin' ride!!!

StudeDave '57
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Just to quell the curiosity of what the rest of the '53 looked like at Colorado Springs, here's the rest of the vehicle. And yes, it is a real stunner too!

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
                      Just to quell the curiosity of what the rest of the '53 looked like at Colorado Springs, here's the rest of the vehicle. And yes, it is a real stunner too!

The owner definitely likes the color yellow!

Comment

Comment

IMHO this is the best post of the entire thread.
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

You might also consider using plastic garden edging. It's strong and can be cut, contoured and riveted easily. It's also cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                              IMHO this is the best post of the entire thread.
                              I agree, but I also think that post #42 was the best criticism I've seen in a while!!

Comment

I agree, but I also think that post #42 was the best criticism I've seen in a while!!
                                LOL, how many people live in that head of yours. <G>
                                Jerry Forrester
                                Forrester's Chrome
                                Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
                                X