Survivor GT in NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update:

Turns out this car is about 2 hrs. from me. Wasn't able to get down to see it before my vacation, so I didn't bid further...

Still debating contacting the seller about it, but am leaning towards not; after all, I AM mostly a Lark guy

And, you never know when a really nice Lark will surface......

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

They HAVE to be kidding! Over $15,000.00 for a low mileage, nice interior '63 R2 Hawk that is a New York rustbucket needing to be re-bodied?[xx(]
      I don't think so!

With an Automatic, a good Western one would sell for way less than the repair bill on this one and the 15,000.00 plus price!

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

They HAVE to be kidding! Over $15,000.00 for a low mileage, nice interior '63 R2 Hawk that is a New York rustbucket needing to be re-bodied?[xx(]
        I don't think so!

With an Automatic, a good Western one would sell for way less than the repair bill on this one and the 15,000.00 plus price!

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich

Comment

WOW, Rich! When did you see the car to conclude it was a rustbucket that needs to be completely rebodied? There's nothing in the description that says anyhing LIKE that- seller says "from six feet it looks like a prisitne show car"![:0] Unless you've actually seen it in person, you're jumping to crazy unfair conclusions![|)]

I of course agree it's a good possibility what you say is true, but it's just as possible it is as good- or BETTER- than the seller's description! It does happen, you know.

That is why my interest in this particular car was piqued by the fact that I could go and see it in person- to determine exactly WHAT the real condition is, before I bid any more!

To condemn a possibly great car with a wild guess is foolish.

...I mean, no, go ahead, if it's something I want to bid on!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

WOW, Rich! When did you see the car to conclude it was a rustbucket that needs to be completely rebodied? There's nothing in the description that says anyhing LIKE that- seller says "from six feet it looks like a prisitne show car"![:0] Unless you've actually seen it in person, you're jumping to crazy unfair conclusions![|)]

I of course agree it's a good possibility what you say is true, but it's just as possible it is as good- or BETTER- than the seller's description! It does happen, you know.

That is why my interest in this particular car was piqued by the fact that I could go and see it in person- to determine exactly WHAT the real condition is, before I bid any more!

To condemn a possibly great car with a wild guess is foolish.

...I mean, no, go ahead, if it's something I want to bid on!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Just because a vehicle now resides in New York does not mean that it is a rust bucket or has resided in NY for very long. Sometimes the opposite is true. Like I have given up looking at cars in Florida. Most of them started life in MI, NJ, NY OH, etc. There are also cars in NY that never go out in the Winter. My '63 Skytop was an example of that. It was stored by the original owner every Winter while the owners were in Florida with their Cadillac. (Yes, I know that it is stated that the subject Gran Turismo spent its life in NY, but most of its life in storage.)

Many people ASSUME that every vehicle that I have for sale is a rusty NY vehicle. EVERY Studebaker that I have purchased, and subsequently sold, in at least the last 20 years, was transported in from a non-rust part of the country, like NM, central TX, etc.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Just because a vehicle now resides in New York does not mean that it is a rust bucket or has resided in NY for very long. Sometimes the opposite is true. Like I have given up looking at cars in Florida. Most of them started life in MI, NJ, NY OH, etc. There are also cars in NY that never go out in the Winter. My '63 Skytop was an example of that. It was stored by the original owner every Winter while the owners were in Florida with their Cadillac. (Yes, I know that it is stated that the subject Gran Turismo spent its life in NY, but most of its life in storage.)

Many people ASSUME that every vehicle that I have for sale is a rusty NY vehicle. EVERY Studebaker that I have purchased, and subsequently sold, in at least the last 20 years, was transported in from a non-rust part of the country, like NM, central TX, etc.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

George K.'s unrestored (original paint, interior, etc) '38 Commander came out of NY. Spent its whole life there, but never saw winter. The only rust spot on that car, anywhere, is pretty small and under one of the Cathedral Headlight assemblies. Now the car spends its days in Florida.

Matthew Burnette
                  '59 Scotsman
                  '63 Daytona
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

George K.'s unrestored (original paint, interior, etc) '38 Commander came out of NY. Spent its whole life there, but never saw winter. The only rust spot on that car, anywhere, is pretty small and under one of the Cathedral Headlight assemblies. Now the car spends its days in Florida.

Matthew Burnette
                    '59 Scotsman
                    '63 Daytona
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Florida cars are not all they're cracked up to be even if they were native to this state. Between high humidity and salt spray from the ocean or gulf, even cars that spent their whole life here can have cancer issues.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Florida cars are not all they're cracked up to be even if they were native to this state. Between high humidity and salt spray from the ocean or gulf, even cars that spent their whole life here can have cancer issues.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Tom - Valrico, FL
                          How true Tom! Ideally one has a temperature [u]and humidity </u>controlled environment to house their vintage vehicles in here in FL

FAK

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Tom - Valrico, FL
                            How true Tom! Ideally one has a temperature [u]and humidity </u>controlled environment to house their vintage vehicles in here in FL

FAK

Comment

Well Gary, unless you own the R2 Hawk in question, you don't have worry about anyone thinking your cars are rustbuckets! [^]

Because no one I know of, including myself said that!

However Bams50 is right I have not seen that Hawk, and might have been a little overly skeptical of it. However the reason I said that is it's got all the signs of much worse damage under the rear quarters, and other hidden places, BECAUSE of what I DID see! Lots of rust coming through the front fenders, and much rust on the frame, did you see that Disc brake shot? It was full of DEEP rust, meaning it sat in a nice dry garage at below 32 degrees and condensed and sweated-up the whole car quite a bit. Compare this to that Black & White Eastern '56 Sky Hawk, and you will see what I mean! [:0]
                              And sure it's still a great car, because of it's rarity and the interior, but these conditions definitely have a negative effect on it's value, also the Automatic on a R2!

quote:Originally posted by studegary

StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich

Comment

Well Gary, unless you own the R2 Hawk in question, you don't have worry about anyone thinking your cars are rustbuckets! [^]

Because no one I know of, including myself said that!

However Bams50 is right I have not seen that Hawk, and might have been a little overly skeptical of it. However the reason I said that is it's got all the signs of much worse damage under the rear quarters, and other hidden places, BECAUSE of what I DID see! Lots of rust coming through the front fenders, and much rust on the frame, did you see that Disc brake shot? It was full of DEEP rust, meaning it sat in a nice dry garage at below 32 degrees and condensed and sweated-up the whole car quite a bit. Compare this to that Black & White Eastern '56 Sky Hawk, and you will see what I mean! [:0]
                                And sure it's still a great car, because of it's rarity and the interior, but these conditions definitely have a negative effect on it's value, also the Automatic on a R2!

quote:Originally posted by studegary

StudeRich
                                Studebakers Northwest
                                Ferndale, WA
                                StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                                X