Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1961 Champ followed me home last weekend (8-10-2013) Should I fix it or part it out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GThawkwind
    replied
    I have one from a 53 six manual. Not that I think that would help.

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Anyone nearby have a starter for a 1961 manual transmission Champ with 6-cylinder engine? My Champ didn't come with a starter but I assumed I could use a starter from a 1963 Lark with auto transmission but that apparently is not possible. The mount holes in the 1963 starter are larger than the holes in the 1961 bellhousing. Needless to say, I didn't get my Champ running this weekend. Oh well, I had plenty of other things that I wanted to do around home anyway.

Leave a comment:

• swvalcon
    replied
    It got here in one piece with no problems. Took the guy only 24 hours from the time he picked it up in Ar. The guy that sold it to me pulled my choke a little. It's not as rust free as he made it out to be. Some rust in floor means no floor left. Little rust in rockers means needs new rocker panels. I'll just have to suck it up and get busy with the tin and welder if I want to use it. Nothing a welder and some bondo can't fix.

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
    Brent. Took your advice and called Peg at Pegs trucking and got a bid to pick up my champ. It's now on it's way to MN about the same cost as if I had went to pick it up myself. With the cost of gas both ways at least one night in a motel and food it may even be a little cheaper. Although a road trip would have been fun it just isn't in the cards right now with everything else the world is throwing at me.
    Sounds great Steve! I had Peg transport my '64 Daytona convert from Bob Peterson's place in CA to my home late last spring. I wanted to fly out and drive it home but couldn't get time off from work. It arrived in good condition and all went well.

Leave a comment:

• swvalcon
    replied
    Brent. Took your advice and called Peg at Pegs trucking and got a bid to pick up my champ. It's now on it's way to MN about the same cost as if I had went to pick it up myself. With the cost of gas both ways at least one night in a motel and food it may even be a little cheaper. Although a road trip would have been fun it just isn't in the cards right now with everything else the world is throwing at me.

Leave a comment:

• evilhawk
    replied
    I hear you on the weather. Saturday I hauled the 289 to my rented garage where I have the Hawk stored and dropped it off there. I was planning to pull the torque converter and fly wheel off the engine for you, but WOW! It was incredibly hot outside and about 10 degrees warmer in the garage. After moving the hawk out of the garage and clearing out some space for the motor, I couldnt handle the heat anymore and needed to get out of there. I am not sure why now it decides to be summer, I thought it was supposed to start cooling down... guess not. So much for working on cars this week..

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    I fell short of my goal today but I do have the engine about ready to drop into the Champ. I had to replace the spin-on oil filter from the car with the Champs remote cartridge oil filter as the spin-on would be in the way of the starter motor. With the spin-on assembly removed, I had to fabricate a cover plate to bolt in place of it. The front motor mounts had to be exchanged also. I need to mount the clutch assembly on the crankshaft yet and then it is ready to drop in. A very tropical 94 degrees and high humidity today made for a lot of discomfort and the rest of this week doesn't look much better, I guess it is summer's last hurrah. Maybe I will have it running and driving this coming Saturday? Fingers crossed.

Leave a comment:

• rusty65
    replied
    Originally posted by 62champ View Post
    Got the Studebaker pennants out, waving them, and we are cheering for you to get that truck back on some road (or driveway - just moving around)...
    .......X2!!

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    Got the Studebaker pennants out, waving them, and we are cheering for you to get that truck back on some road (or driveway - just moving around)...

Leave a comment:

• GThawkwind
    replied
    Totally think your making the right decision on this truck, I have a thing for good old truck. A little rust on an old truck doesn't really hurt. I think it deserves a second chance.

Leave a comment:

• Studedude
    replied
    Hope all goes well!!

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    I removed the engine from the Champ last Sunday afternoon:

And tonight I pulled the 1963 Lark sedan (that I drove back in my high school days) up to my garage and began to dismantle the car for engine removal. The flex plate for the automatic transmission broke about 12 years ago and it has been sitting ever since. The engine is loose and I hope to have it in the Champ tomorrow and running.

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    Too bad your not closer. I have a good 60 Lark parts car that would be perfect for all the rusted parts on that Champ except of course for the l/r fender. It's even white! LOL

Leave a comment:

• swvalcon
    replied
    Other than the hole in the one fender your box looks fairly good. How is the box floor? You could maybe sell the box for more than you payed for the truck and put a flat bed on it.

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    The Dodge box came along for the 1961 model year. All of the 1960 and many of the 1961 Champs have the older style box as mine has. The only good body panels on the Cruiser are the hood, trunk lid and roof as everything else is very rusty....as is the bottom 4 inches of the Champ cab.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X