Roll Call ? Maggie Valley , NC meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jclary View Post
    By interstate, it is about 89 miles from my house. Last Wednesday, I took a motorcycle shortcut up there to scout it out. The motorcycle short cut was 109 miles by way of the Cherokee scenic highway, over Caesars Head, Cedar Mountain, to Brevard, through the Pisgah National Forest, Waynesville, and Maggie Valley. Great day for a motorcycle ride.

The lady at the Smokey Falls Lodge desk said they have been booked up for months. She said there had been a couple of cancellations, but were re-booked immediately. She was kind enough to walk me over to the motel next door. It is called the Five Star Inn. (888) 926-3816. I booked a room there. The Five Star Inn is literally next door. Getting a room there will mean less driving to fellowship with your Studebaker friends.
    Thanks John,
    Will call them in the morning.
    Joe

Comment

I'm booked at Creekside Lodge from month ago as the host hotel was booked. A convenience store separates the 2 supposedly. Pink and black 55 jimmijim
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
        I'm booked at Creekside Lodge from month ago as the host hotel was booked. A convenience store separates the 2 supposedly. Pink and black 55 jimmijim
        Thanks Jim,
        Now I have two t try this morning, so am sure something close by will be available. Will be in either the red & white GT, or the blue & white 56J. If in the 56J will need to bring extra Tylenol for the right leg

Comment

I just booked a room there for $69. At first it was $89, till I mentioned I was "with the Studebaker folks", and that got me an instant discount ! The person on the phone said Creekside is only about 1/2 miles from the meet motel. So that's close enough for me.

Comment

I been done lied to. Well, not necessarily. When I booked the clerk said there was a convenience store twixed the 2 hotels. Must be sparsley populated. A 1/2 mile stretch is enough room for a drag strip/test and tune. Perhaps they told me it is on the creek bank. I know the hotel is close to something. I'm a gonna do a price match check. jimmijim
            Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
            I just booked a room there for $69. At first it was $89, till I mentioned I was "with the Studebaker folks", and that got me an instant discount ! The person on the phone said Creekside is only about 1/2 miles from the meet motel. So that's close enough for me.
            Last edited by jimmijim8; 09-03-2013, 01:56 PM.
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Champ's all shined up, no shimmies, no shakes, and all ready for my 30 mile drive. I'm not real outgoing, so just poke me and introduce yerseff!
              Ron Dame
              '63 Champ

Comment

Packing up meet stuff over 45,000 pounds (est.) of trophies, meet bags, meet T shirts ect.
                Jack White
                Charlotte,NC
                North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Originally posted by Bamajak View Post
                  Packing up meet stuff over 45,000 pounds (est.) of trophies, meet bags, meet T shirts ect.
                  Over 22 TONS? well, that's interesting!

Comment

I been done lied to. Well, not necessarily. When I booked the clerk said there was a convenience store twixed the 2 hotels. Must be sparsley populated. A 1/2 mile stretch is enough room for a drag strip/test and tune. Perhaps they told me it is on the creek bank. I know the hotel is close to something. I'm a gonna do a price match check. jimmijim
                    I meant to say one half mile. Looks like one or two miles, the way I wrote it above, but it is one half mile. The guy said it was easy walking distance. The 5-Star Inn did not have sufficient accommodations for me and my two sons, s we went with Creek Side, which had better accommodations.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                      Over 22 TONS? well, that's interesting!
                      My wife is coming with me..
                      Jack White
                      Charlotte,NC
                      North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

My son and I will be there, leaving friday morning, if I can get him out of bed that early.
                        Jamie McLeod
                        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                        1958 Commander "Christine"
                        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                        1955 Commander Sedan
                        1964 Champ
                        1960 Lark

Comment

Well...I finally got the '48 business coupe back together. That means I freshened up the brakes, bled them, greased the chassis, changed the oil, aired up the tires, lowered it off the jacks, and brought it out into daylight for the first time since 2011. I pulled it into the driveway, and washed the barn dirt, pollen, and cat tracks off.

Then, I decided to add a couple of gallons of gas from the lawn mower can, just to be sure I could make it to the gas station. The little car was so inviting, once it was cleaned up and shining again, I couldn't help but hop in and take off to the gas station. It was about a ten mile round trip. The little car ran like a top. You know... those old 1948 shocks kinda wobble, just like a spinning top. It was fun anyway. The overdrive kicked in like it should, and even the kick-down switch works. The only anxious moment I had was about two miles from home. I realized, in my excitement about driving the car again...I had forgotten to put the current sticker on the tag. It was still showing it had expired in August 2011! When I pulled back in my driveway, I went in the house, found the current registration and sticker. All is well now.

So...if the thing don't break between now and mid-day Friday...I plan on attempting to climb a few hills and make it to Maggie Valley. Hope to see you there!
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Should be getting in bou't dusk if'n all goes well. Looking forward, cheers jimmijim

Comment

I had to travel Unexpected for work...Sooooo it will be Saturday morning before we get over there with the Avanti racer

Comment

We plan to leave tomorrow as soon as my sons get home from school at 3PM. Its about 325 miles, but probably could cut off 10-20 miles if we cut through a few cornfields and tobacco patches. But we'll just stay on the main roads, and should be there by 9-10 PM. Looks like we'll be in the 62GT, with cruise control.
                                Hope to see y'all there
                                Last edited by JoeHall; 09-05-2013, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X