Roll Call ? Maggie Valley , NC meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll Call ? Maggie Valley , NC meet

We LIve local and hope to be around with the Avanti ( Burke LSR )
    Looking forward to meeting everyone
    David Parris & Family
    Last edited by Rack4u; 08-15-2013, 03:24 PM.

jimmijim and Bo Markham will be there. Pink and black 55 Pres hdtp.
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I'm going...But just me.
      No Stude goin', as I have to work Friday in Abingdon, VA....
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
        I'm going...But just me.
        No Stude goin', as I have to work Friday in Abingdon, VA....
        At least bring your valve covers to race ?

Hey...what are the rules ??

Comment

Originally posted by Rack4u View Post

At least bring your valve covers to race ?

Hey...what are the rules ??
          I think Jack White has the rule book.
          Used to be: 10# max and fit through a 12"x12" box/hole....
          Jeff
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

bumpster234567890-
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

linda, myself & our 63 hawk will be there
              Mark Riesch
              New Bern, NC

Comment

Tracy and I plan to be there. Dont know yet if we will try to bring the 3R-15 or not. Long drive for a s l o w truck. Steve
                sigpic

Comment

My wife called earlier in the week to get an additional room at the host hotel, and they are already full. That is a good sign that it will be a successful meet. We always enjoy the tri-state meet.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                    Tracy and I plan to be there. Dont know yet if we will try to bring the 3R-15 or not. Long drive for a s l o w truck. Steve

Well Steve...It is not nearly as long for you and I, as it probably is for most folks attending. For both of us, give or take ten or so miles, it is a, rounded up, 100 mile trip. A long trip in a slow truck is better than a shortened trip in a broken down truck.

You and I have to weigh our options. Your truck is a work in progress, and mine has a tired engine sporting a 38 year old "backyard overhaul" committed by yours truly when all the tools I owned could be carried in an old military surplus canvass tool bag!

Even if we dial up enough courage to accept the mechanical risks of the venture in our aging relics...we have to think about our route options. We can choose the mostly interstate style route of U.S. 25, I-26, I-40, and Hwy 74. All multi-lane interstate speed highways. Normally, a no-brainer choice. 'Cept for those danged steep grade hills and the speed differential between "us and them!" Although my truck has an overdrive, that advantage is lost on those loooong hills.

Another option is to take the scenic route, US-276. You know...that is the old paved wagon trail, with its winding hair-pin curves, switch-backs, overhanging rock out-croppings, washouts and landslide hazards. It thrills you by presenting you with chugging climbs as you corkscrew up places with neat names like Cedar Mountain, Cesar's Head, Sliding Rock, etc. No sooner do you allow yourself a huge sigh of relief,
                    as you top one of those hills, comes the reminder that you have only a single master cylinder brake system. You plunge down the other side with its corresponding whipsaw turns and sheer drop-offs.

If the route itself is not challenging enough...there's the constant presence of the impatient crotch-rocket crowd. Those leather clad aliens with a death wish, disturbing your tranquil trip by blasting by a 80 mph and startling you out of your skin. Good grief!
                    I won't even mention the anorexic bicyclists, or the occasional convoy from the local BMW plant showing off their "ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINES" to a group of visiting dignitaries who haven't a clue of what to do with a hill or a curve.

So...there you have it...pick your poison. Have a nice trip!
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

about 175 miles for the round trip by interstate but interstates are scary with a 45 MPH top speed (it would probably run faster but I dont). Otherwise I believe the old truck is up to the challenge and I can route around the interstates. My decision will mostly be determined by our work schedules. If either of us has to go in Sat night we will drive the Honda for presumed reliability, otherwise we may try the Stude. If any vendors attending have a correct air breather (oil bath) for the 2R-15 (champion 6) I will be searching for one whilst I am there. Mine grew legs and walked away with the spare engines and other items that disappeared while my "friend" was storing the truck. At least I got the truck back without bloodshed. Steve

Sarcastic and unnecessary comment rethought. Steve
                      Last edited by wolfie; 08-16-2013, 01:27 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

I will be there with the 64 Challenger. I got a motel in May but not at the host. It was all full up then. 5 hour drive from here. The hard part is the climb up between Old Fort and Black Mountain on I-40. Seen many a vehicle overheat there in my used to be weekly drives up that "hill". Look forward to seeing everyone and hearing Jack White with his megaphone.
                        Wayne Elks

66 Phantom Champ
                        65 Cruiser
                        64 Champ
                        40 4-Dr Commander

Comment

I'll be there some, I hope to put faces with names on this group. Look for my green Champ, I probably won't be registering or being there too long.
                          Ron Dame
                          '63 Champ

Comment

If I can remember, I have the NOS rings for your locking rims.

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                            about 175 miles for the round trip by interstate but interstates are scary with a 45 MPH top speed (it would probably run faster but I dont). Otherwise I believe the old truck is up to the challenge and I can route around the interstates. My decision will mostly be determined by our work schedules. If either of us has to go in Sat night we will drive the Honda for presumed reliability, otherwise we may try the Stude. If any vendors attending have a correct air breather (oil bath) for the 2R-15 (champion 6) I will be searching for one whilst I am there. Mine grew legs and walked away with the spare engines and other items that disappeared while my "friend" was storing the truck. At least I got the truck back without bloodshed. Steve

Sarcastic and unnecessary comment rethought. Steve
                            Ron Dame
                            '63 Champ

Comment

I will at Maggie Valley (If not no trophies or meet T Shirts ) gotta drive the Studemino to carry all the meet stuff. Be sure to register so we can plan.
                              Jack White
                              Charlotte,NC
                              North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Working...
                              X