Ford-O-Let Automatic trnasmission....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by wally

No,No,No,NO!!!! (Sorry, I just lost it for a minute). The durn thing had had a Chxvy engine. I do know for a fact that for the last 15 years or so of Checker production, that they did use Bowtie Belly-button motors. The bellhousing had the block-to-trans pattern Chevx uses, and on the other end of the housing was a Cruise-o-matic or something similar. No flatheads, no Powerglides. I'll just bet it was the setup Studebaker used for several years,and I wondered if anyone knew. I Will investigate and advise. Thanks.
    According to Ed Reynolds Sr....

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wally

No,No,No,NO!!!! (Sorry, I just lost it for a minute). The durn thing had had a Chxvy engine. I do know for a fact that for the last 15 years or so of Checker production, that they did use Bowtie Belly-button motors. The bellhousing had the block-to-trans pattern Chevx uses, and on the other end of the housing was a Cruise-o-matic or something similar. No flatheads, no Powerglides. I'll just bet it was the setup Studebaker used for several years,and I wondered if anyone knew. I Will investigate and advise. Thanks.
      According to Ed Reynolds Sr....

Craig

Comment

That's good stuff. Maybe I need to start collecting back issues...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1903.98)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

That's good stuff. Maybe I need to start collecting back issues...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1903.98)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

My Dad bought a '63 Checker Station Wagon new, and it had a Continental 226 cid straight 6 cylinder, with overhead valves. It had a 3 speed automatic with first gear start, and it was made by Borg Warner. I often did wonder what was similar about it to the Studebaker automatic of the era. The flathead 226 was also still available in the Checker then. Both these engines were similar to the old Kaiser 6 from the 50s, although the Kaiser of course never had the OHV version. I'm fairly certain that Checker went to Chevy engines in '64, but it might have been '65. When they switched, you could no longer get the Continental engines.

Dave Bonn
            '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

My Dad bought a '63 Checker Station Wagon new, and it had a Continental 226 cid straight 6 cylinder, with overhead valves. It had a 3 speed automatic with first gear start, and it was made by Borg Warner. I often did wonder what was similar about it to the Studebaker automatic of the era. The flathead 226 was also still available in the Checker then. Both these engines were similar to the old Kaiser 6 from the 50s, although the Kaiser of course never had the OHV version. I'm fairly certain that Checker went to Chevy engines in '64, but it might have been '65. When they switched, you could no longer get the Continental engines.

Dave Bonn
              '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

My dad has a checker bellhousing that came from a car that had a SBC and an automatic (borg warner), and I have a 66 cruiser frame and driveline I will try to compare the two bellhousings this weekend. I'd bet they are the same, checker did some goofy stuff, we also have a top shift t-86 or t-90 (cant remember which) that is a blanked out o.d. unit, that has the chevy/saginaw bolt pattern.

Comment

My dad has a checker bellhousing that came from a car that had a SBC and an automatic (borg warner), and I have a 66 cruiser frame and driveline I will try to compare the two bellhousings this weekend. I'd bet they are the same, checker did some goofy stuff, we also have a top shift t-86 or t-90 (cant remember which) that is a blanked out o.d. unit, that has the chevy/saginaw bolt pattern.

Comment

Working...
                  X