Ford-O-Let Automatic trnasmission....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford-O-Let Automatic trnasmission....

Hope this is relevant enough to the subject of Studes. I found this interesting: At the local swap meet a seller was offering a rusty old late-60's or early 70's Checker cab. I know for a fact that the last few years Checkers were made, they used some GM components, including engines.. It was missing the engine, but the automatic transmission was still in place. The guy claimed it was a Powerglide, but it had a rather heavy, cast iron detacheable bellhousing with the Chxvrolet block bolt pattern, and behind it was an iron case automatic trans with a removeable oil pan. Definitely not a cast-iron powerglide, but looked like a Ford trans to me. Who knows what it had---maybe they used the same setup as a 65-66 Studebaker. What do you think?

Wally, I believe you are right. Powerglides had gone to the aluminum case by the late '60s, and if Checker were buying trannies from GM, that would be what they got.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Wally, I believe you are right. Powerglides had gone to the aluminum case by the late '60s, and if Checker were buying trannies from GM, that would be what they got.

Comment

This is from a page of a 60s Checker brochure. They say the OHV engine has a Hydramatic but the flathead has a Driver-Matic (whatever that is)

Leonard Shepherd
        http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

This is from a page of a 60s Checker brochure. They say the OHV engine has a Hydramatic but the flathead has a Driver-Matic (whatever that is)

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Who were they getting a flathead from in the '60's?

Comment

Who were they getting a flathead from in the '60's?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Leonard Shepherd
                Len,
                I always thought that "Driver-Matic" was just a fancy way to advertise a manual transmission.[B)]

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar
                3E-6/7-122
                </h5>

Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander
                Zone Coordinator
                Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Leonard Shepherd
                  Len,
                  I always thought that "Driver-Matic" was just a fancy way to advertise a manual transmission.[B)]

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar
                  3E-6/7-122
                  </h5>

Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander
                  Zone Coordinator
                  Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I believe they used Continental sixes.

Comment

I believe they used Continental sixes.

Comment

No,No,No,NO!!!! (Sorry, I just lost it for a minute). The durn thing had had a Chxvy engine. I do know for a fact that for the last 15 years or so of Checker production, that they did use Bowtie Belly-button motors. The bellhousing had the block-to-trans pattern Chevx uses, and on the other end of the housing was a Cruise-o-matic or something similar. No flatheads, no Powerglides. I'll just bet it was the setup Studebaker used for several years,and I wondered if anyone knew. I Will investigate and advise. Thanks.

Comment

No,No,No,NO!!!! (Sorry, I just lost it for a minute). The durn thing had had a Chxvy engine. I do know for a fact that for the last 15 years or so of Checker production, that they did use Bowtie Belly-button motors. The bellhousing had the block-to-trans pattern Chevx uses, and on the other end of the housing was a Cruise-o-matic or something similar. No flatheads, no Powerglides. I'll just bet it was the setup Studebaker used for several years,and I wondered if anyone knew. I Will investigate and advise. Thanks.

Comment

Its probably a variation of the Borg Warner automatics used by Studebaker which another variation of were also used by Kaiser Jeep in Wagoneers/J-series trucks and by AMC until early 70's. They may have been used in 60's IH light trucks but dont know for sure.
                            A certain brand of delivery trucks, (Divco?) also used them.

3E38
                            4E2
                            4E28
                            5E13
                            7E7
                            8E7
                            8E12
                            8E28

59 Lark
                            etc

Comment

Its probably a variation of the Borg Warner automatics used by Studebaker which another variation of were also used by Kaiser Jeep in Wagoneers/J-series trucks and by AMC until early 70's. They may have been used in 60's IH light trucks but dont know for sure.
                              A certain brand of delivery trucks, (Divco?) also used them.

3E38
                              4E2
                              4E28
                              5E13
                              7E7
                              8E7
                              8E12
                              8E28

59 Lark
                              etc

Comment

Working...