No announcement yet.

When All Else Fails....Seek A Pro!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be great if when finished pieces were put in an oven before being given to the customer.

quote:Originally posted by fmarshall

Most garages have a starting/charging analyzer. It gets hooked up to the battery (when hot) hand when you try to start, it measures the amperage. And decent mechanic can determine fairly quickly if the problem is the starter, battery, or cables at that point.

Many times, the cable gets trimmed back for corrosion and a new terminal fixes the problem straight away.

I wouldn't condemn the starter immediately. When they do test starters, upon rebuild, they are generally tested cold and not under a load.

Comment

Well like lots of gear heads, when a problem presents itself one looks not for the obvious answers, but rather a re-invent the wheel mind set.

So it was with my R-1 Avanti which would hardly spin over when hot.
      I was all for pulling the starter and giving the last re-builder a piece of my mind......it's good I did not because the starter was not the problem.
      Guess it takes a trained eye to see certain things........like the fact my battery ground cable was attached to my exhaust manifold bolt which I ASSUMED was clean and tight......WRONG! upon removal the cable was found to be loose on the bolt and only making the slightest contact with the manifold itself.
      The cable was removed taken to the shop where the hole was drilled out to accommodate the new place for it to be placed.....under one of the head bolts....in addition the end was polished down to reveal clean copper.

This was done with the engine cold.........we then started and allowed the engine to run for 30 minutes at about 1K RPM with the hood closed......water temps were raised to about 220 degrees...she was then shut off.......upon re-start we found the draw was about 450 amps......but she cranked over like a Mo-Fo....I mean really fast...she has a new 1000CCA battery.....moral of the story I should learn to check the simple things first and not attempt to re-invent the wheel.....what a pleasure to drive the car knowing that if I have to stop and re-start she will do so with no problem.

Comment

Well like lots of gear heads, when a problem presents itself one looks not for the obvious answers, but rather a re-invent the wheel mind set.

So it was with my R-1 Avanti which would hardly spin over when hot.
        I was all for pulling the starter and giving the last re-builder a piece of my mind......it's good I did not because the starter was not the problem.
        Guess it takes a trained eye to see certain things........like the fact my battery ground cable was attached to my exhaust manifold bolt which I ASSUMED was clean and tight......WRONG! upon removal the cable was found to be loose on the bolt and only making the slightest contact with the manifold itself.
        The cable was removed taken to the shop where the hole was drilled out to accommodate the new place for it to be placed.....under one of the head bolts....in addition the end was polished down to reveal clean copper.

This was done with the engine cold.........we then started and allowed the engine to run for 30 minutes at about 1K RPM with the hood closed......water temps were raised to about 220 degrees...she was then shut off.......upon re-start we found the draw was about 450 amps......but she cranked over like a Mo-Fo....I mean really fast...she has a new 1000CCA battery.....moral of the story I should learn to check the simple things first and not attempt to re-invent the wheel.....what a pleasure to drive the car knowing that if I have to stop and re-start she will do so with no problem.

Comment

BTW, the ground cable should attach to top, left water pump housing bolt.

JDP/Maryland
          64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
          64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
          63 Lark 2 door
          58 Packard HT
          56 Golden Hawk
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

BTW, the ground cable should attach to top, left water pump housing bolt.

JDP/Maryland
            64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
            63 Lark 2 door
            58 Packard HT
            56 Golden Hawk
            52 Starliner
            51 Commander
            39 Coupe express
            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

That spot has always been a little puzzling to me as the starter pumps out quite a bit of juice through that (here comes my word of the day) dinkey stud on the water pump housing. I was always afraid of turning the stud into a welding rod(something fusing or worse) of sorts with amps needed for the starter.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
              [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
              [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

That spot has always been a little puzzling to me as the starter pumps out quite a bit of juice through that (here comes my word of the day) dinkey stud on the water pump housing. I was always afraid of turning the stud into a welding rod(something fusing or worse) of sorts with amps needed for the starter.

1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

It's not the stud that conducts the current, it's the cable to head contact under the nut on the stud that does. Even if it were just the 5/16 stud, that would still handle 400-500 amps of current with ease.

JDP/Maryland
                  64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  58 Packard HT
                  56 Golden Hawk
                  52 Starliner
                  51 Commander
                  39 Coupe express
                  39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

It's not the stud that conducts the current, it's the cable to head contact under the nut on the stud that does. Even if it were just the 5/16 stud, that would still handle 400-500 amps of current with ease.

JDP/Maryland
                    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    58 Packard HT
                    56 Golden Hawk
                    52 Starliner
                    51 Commander
                    39 Coupe express
                    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment