Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When All Else Fails....Seek A Pro!

Well,

Having followed all the suggestions on this forum,and still not being able to find out the cause of my labored/slow crank when hot in my Avanti R-1....I know when (as Kenny Rogers said) to fold 'em...and seek the council of a professional electrical trouble shooter.....so having 35 years of electrical expertise and a sheet full of test instruments I will turn my beloved Avanti over to 'the expert' we will wait until the car is really heated and exhibits the above mentioned malady.....driving the car is just not fun, if in the back of ones mind one is thinking..."will it re-start after stopping for fuel/food?" And if not will the daggers hurled from my wife's eyes penetrate the flesh of this Stude lover? Will post the outcome by month's end.......

can i guess????

starter going bad or building to to much heat from a close rotated exhaust pipe...

ground wite ohms high......

Erin Hays
    "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
    RZRECTD
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Lark
    1963 Wagonaire

Comment

can i guess????

starter going bad or building to to much heat from a close rotated exhaust pipe...

Erin Hays
      RZRECTD
      1961 Hawk
      1962 Lark
      1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Starter Motor and front exhaust pipe have been wrapped....no difference....

quote:Originally posted by 1961HAWK

can i guess????

Erin Hays
        RZRECTD
        1961 Hawk
        1962 Lark
        1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Starter Motor and front exhaust pipe have been wrapped....no difference....

quote:Originally posted by 1961HAWK

can i guess????

Erin Hays
          RZRECTD
          1961 Hawk
          1962 Lark
          1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Call me crazy, but I'm still going to go with it being a starter problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1903.98)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Time will tell!

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Tom - Valrico, FL

Comment

Time will tell!

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Tom - Valrico, FL

Comment

What about the bushing on either end. Have had same problem,and it was the oil lite bushings. worth a look.

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
                    64 Avanti R3w/NOS
                    88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

What about the bushing on either end. Have had same problem,and it was the oil lite bushings. worth a look.

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
                      64 Avanti R3w/NOS
                      88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

I had a 55 Commander that was hard to start when it was hot (of course it was 6 volt). I was told the bad rings and low compression would cause that.

Leonard Shepherd
                        http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

I had a 55 Commander that was hard to start when it was hot (of course it was 6 volt). I was told the bad rings and low compression would cause that.

Leonard Shepherd
                          http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

My guess is either the starter or a ground connection - which could be battery cables or battery terminals. I have seen a perfectly good looking battery cable that was corroded internally. And heat increases resistance.

The starter is closest to the heat and so ...

I had a 911 that started when cool perfectly. After I drove for a bout an hour, it wouldn't turn over at all. After cleaning all ground connections, and changing the ground strap, it still came back. The I swapped the starter and the problem went away forever.

It never dragged. It either worked perfectly or when real warm didn't work at all.

Comment

My guess is either the starter or a ground connection - which could be battery cables or battery terminals. I have seen a perfectly good looking battery cable that was corroded internally. And heat increases resistance.

The starter is closest to the heat and so ...

I had a 911 that started when cool perfectly. After I drove for a bout an hour, it wouldn't turn over at all. After cleaning all ground connections, and changing the ground strap, it still came back. The I swapped the starter and the problem went away forever.

It never dragged. It either worked perfectly or when real warm didn't work at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X