Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Packard V8 clutch housing?...How many do You need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SN-60
    replied
    Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    That particular project is only in the theoretically possible category. I'll certainly never get around to it, because the Ford pattern T10s and top loader 4-speeds can be used on the standard shift Packard V8 bell housing with much less work and expense.

Should your theoretical '56J Twin-Ultramatic owner becalmed with a dead tranny want to try the conversion, I'd sell the AMC T10 for $300 plus shipping.

In fact, if a Stude V8 owner knows a machinist who would shorten the input shaft and make a pilot bearing adapter, it would bolt up to the '57-64 3-speed bellhousing and could be used in a performance Stude V8 build. Anything will fit anything; just time, money and talent.

I'll be investigating using the T-U aluminum bell for truck 5-speed and 6-speed trannies which have an input shaft too long for the standard shift bell.

jack vines
    OK Jack, Thanks...and good luck with that!

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    Jack, I wondered if the Ultramatic converter housings arrived? That AMC T-10/ custom adapter plate/ Ultramatic converter housing project sounded interesting!
    That particular project is only in the theoretically possible category. I'll certainly never get around to it, because the Ford pattern T10s and top loader 4-speeds can be used on the standard shift Packard V8 bell housing with much less work and expense.

Should your theoretical '56J Twin-Ultramatic owner becalmed with a dead tranny want to try the conversion, I'd sell the AMC T10 for $300 plus shipping.

In fact, if a Stude V8 owner knows a machinist who would shorten the input shaft and make a pilot bearing adapter, it would bolt up to the '57-64 3-speed bellhousing and could be used in a performance Stude V8 build. Anything will fit anything; just time, money and talent.

I'll be investigating using the T-U aluminum bell for truck 5-speed and 6-speed trannies which have an input shaft too long for the standard shift bell.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 09-01-2013, 10:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Jack, I wondered if the Ultramatic converter housings arrived? That AMC T-10/ custom adapter plate/ Ultramatic converter housing project sounded interesting!

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    I suppose there are many owners of 1956 Golden Hawks that do not want to alter a 'factory original' Twin-Ultramatic car whether they are having problems with the transmission or not....and I understand that attitude. Especially if the car is really only brought out for auto shows and the occasional Sunday drive.

Leave a comment:

• PlainBrownR2
    replied
    I defer to Your knowledge of pickup trucks, heavy trucks, and busses. I always thought the greater weight of the larger vehicles, along with the heavy loads that they were built to carry, would necessitate heavier components.....Silly Me!

Knock yourself out, but if I don't know the answer, I pass it along to somebody much more knowledgeable, which is how I think how this works. In the meantime, compared to other manufacturers, Studebakers commercial vehicles were usually smaller than say, the manufacturer of these brutes:

Those purpose built vehicles were built with some real purpose built components, so everything was bigger. Your definition and my definition of bigger, beefier, and heavier vary by a mile here, because if you want big and heavy for a commercial vehicle, that's BIG and HEAVY !! There's no gas V8's or anything of that sort in these vehicles, that's a full on diesel, which calls for things like air brakes, 6, 10, 18 speeds and etc, and in general, enough power and torque to move entire mountains. In the grand scheme of things, Studebaker's commercial vehicles were usually converted truck frames, until you started getting up into the diesel truck arena.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    Your example #2 sounds great....are there any negatives at all?
    Only the cost and that the transmission has to be disassembled and that the machinist has to be really good. When the front of the bell with the bolt circle is cut off, there's no center left. Thus, a jig has to be made up to hold the transmission centered on the adapter so it can be welded on center. Then, the TH bell is thin and tends to move around as it is welded. Once the welding is complete, the tranny has to be reassembled and checked on another jig to insure the shaft still runs perpendicular to the face all the way around the large circumference. Should there be any runout, it has to be disassembled and milled back square.

Also, the TH are open on the bottom and the cover will no longer fit, so it has to be shortened and made to mate to the Packard bell.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    Not really any new news here. There are two approaches to using any of the various GM TH350, TH400, TH700R4, TH4L85E, et al automatic transmissions behind a Packard V8 and they've been used for more than twenty years.

1. An extended spool spaces the GM torque converter and flexplate the appropriate distance behind the Packard flexplate. An adapter plate with the two bolt patterns mates the Packard block to the TH. This works fine if the combination isn't driven hard. For racing and 7,000 RPM shifts, it would probably fail in short order.

2. In the Jack Nordstrom example, the TH integral bell is machined shorter and an adapter plate is welded to the remaining material. Then, the TH flexplate and torque converter can be bolted directly to the Packard crankshaft in the conventional manner. This is stronger and more durable. It's also shorter.

jack vines
    Your example #2 sounds great....are there any negatives at all?

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Not really any new news here. There are two approaches to using any of the various GM TH350, TH400, TH700R4, TH4L85E, et al automatic transmissions behind a Packard V8 and they've been used for more than twenty years.

1. An extended spool spaces the GM torque converter and flexplate the appropriate distance behind the Packard flexplate. An adapter plate with the two bolt patterns mates the Packard block to the TH. This works fine if the combination isn't driven hard. For racing and 7,000 RPM shifts, it would probably fail in short order.

2. In the Jack Nordstrom example, the TH integral bell is machined shorter and an adapter plate is welded to the remaining material. Then, the TH flexplate and torque converter can be bolted directly to the Packard crankshaft in the conventional manner. This is stronger and more durable. It's also shorter.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• shifter4
    replied
    I just did a quick Google and found this from a thread here on this Forum.
    I even made an entry ? ( what a memory ) . This isn't mine , but a copy n paste of a guy doing them .

Send me a CLEAN, GUTTED TH400.
    I'll send you converted transmission & kit.
    Make up your own transmission with shift kit as desired.
    Make up fill tube & dipstick according to your desired final location.
    Make your own drive shaft (1 piece only.)
    Install, enjoy the difference with confidence. No puking overflow, more power to the wheels, no sticking in Park on hills.
    Uses original Packard flywheel only. (No added adaptor [spool] plus 2nd flex plate which may wobble, vibrate, and/or break.)
    If you are interested and need more information, contact:
    JACK NORDSTROM
    4975 IH-35 SOUTH
    NEW BRAUNFELS TEXAS 78132

I just put my 2 cents worth in for the heck of it. I will never do a conversion , and so that is it for me
    on this subject .
    Thanks .

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    If you are planning to go GM, why not install a 4L85E (16,500 GVWR rated) and get the over drive in a heavy duty unit? The TH400 (3L80 in later form) probably has a lower GVWR in stock form so if one needs a heavier duty unit than them, money will get them upgraded.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Originally posted by shifter4 View Post
    I think that the GM starter is used . As you see , these are in raw condition.
    I don't have time at this moment , but probably by Googling in the Packard world ,
    some details may be found .
    JV probably has the knowledge .
    My memory dredges up the name Bill Mitchell as the man that I bought these from . That may
    not be correct though .
    I'm off to the 'PACKARD WORLD'

Leave a comment:

• shifter4
    replied
    I think that the GM starter is used . As you see , these are in raw condition.
    I don't have time at this moment , but probably by Googling in the Packard world ,
    some details may be found .
    JV probably has the knowledge .
    My memory dredges up the name Bill Mitchell as the man that I bought these from . That may
    not be correct though .

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Threads like this one sometimes bring to light interesting material...material that is often forgotten about...And Bill, Your post is a good example of that. Question: Are you saying that a Packard starter or a GM starter would be used with these adapters?

Leave a comment:

• shifter4
    replied
    Generally related to this thread , here are 2 pics of adapter plates that I have .
    These were made in order to allow a TH400 to be bolted directly to a Packard V8 .
    It requires that a portion of the block mating surface on the TH 400 be cut off , and then this plate
    be installed . The TH 400 flex plate(redrilled) and starter then work .
    I bought these many years ago from the fellow in Michigan that was doing conversions.
    He was ending his work , and these were supposedly the last 2 that he had .
    I was wanting to go Packard in my drag car .
    All that i have done with them is to saw off an empty TH350 case , and loosely
    mock it up . it looked like it would work .
    Seems much better than a spool and 2 flex plates as the Torqueflite adapter uses .
    Posting this because it seems like a TH400 might do the job in the bus in question because
    it handled GM and Rolls Royce Luxobarges of pretty high weights .
    I think that a number of these are/were in use.
    Jack Vines , please fill us in .

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
    Now wait a minute....I'm going about this the wrong way! Looking over the prototype box van photos for the 1955 E13, which has the same girth as that bus, it has a standard truck trans and a 2bbl 259! The difference in the gas driven, non diesel vehicles, the pickups, and the cars, was simply needing the right combination of parts. In this case, it would be the Packard engine, bellhousing, and trans, and if we're going that route, the associated engine and trans mounts to go from a passenger automobile setup, to a truck setup. It would also need a reasonable trans cooler of course, and the top speed might limit the vehicle to around 65 mph! Strain? Only if its decided that the Packard wasn't enough and we need a Cummins hanging from that bellhousing instead! Still can't see why it wouldn't work, considering Studebaker would build you anything you wanted, within reason of course!
    I defer to Your knowledge of pickup trucks, heavy trucks, and busses. I always thought the greater weight of the larger vehicles, along with the heavy loads that they were built to carry, would necessitate heavier components.....Silly Me!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X