Prospecting with a Coupe Express

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prospecting with a Coupe Express

With specific regard to the '39 L5 Coupe Express with the metal express box cover that John recently purchased I have located some additional infomation in my files.

In March 1939 E.G. McMannamy who was a Studebaker zone rep in the Los Angeles area wrote back to the factory in South Bend and attached the photo above. He indicated that the express body shown in the photo was built of plywood covered with sheet metal and painted to match the truck. The cost was $100 and it was sold through Preston Motors of San Pedro. The purchaser was Mr. U.M. Carson who was going to use the truck for prospecting and mining endeavors around Southern California.

With the low production of '39's (1200 units) and the even lower production of this special body, and the fact that the recently located specimen was a California truck, it may just be the very truck that John has purchased!

Richard Quinn
    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

OK, here is one a little larger. Not a real sharp image but unfortunately my copy is from a copy machine.

Richard Quinn
    Richard Quinn

Comment

OK, here is one a little larger. Not a real sharp image but unfortunately my copy is from a copy machine.

Richard Quinn
      Richard Quinn

Comment

Damn Richard you are the man. <g> Thanks so much for not only helping me, but adding to Studebaker history.

JDP/Maryland
        64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
        64 GT R2
        63 Lark 2 door
        58 Scotsman
        52 & 53 Starliner
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Damn Richard you are the man. <g> Thanks so much for not only helping me, but adding to Studebaker history.

JDP/Maryland
          64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
          64 GT R2
          63 Lark 2 door
          58 Scotsman
          52 & 53 Starliner
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I feel much better now, after telling you to drop everything and run out the door and get them!![] In England, a car's history or complete 'logbook' adds 10% or more to the value of the car upon resale.

Craig.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I feel much better now, after telling you to drop everything and run out the door and get them!![] In England, a car's history or complete 'logbook' adds 10% or more to the value of the car upon resale.

Craig.

Comment

Working...
              X