What in the world did I buy???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What in the world did I buy???

Hello everyone. Tonight I bought my first Studebaker item of any kind. I bought an engine and transmission out of who knows what for who knows what. Maybe my '32 Ford. I am mostly a Ford guy and am hoping I can get some help identifying what I have, and maybe answer some questions. It's a V8 with a T-10. There appears to be a date code of 11 20 61 on the T10 side cover. There is a casting number of T 10 1(or I) B...it's a 10 spline input and 16 spline output. The casting number on the block on the right front top is 1554641 and the ID number stamped next to the oil fill tube is P924bI. I suppose the b could be a 6, but it sure looks like a b. Other than knowing what it is, I would be interested to know what Studebaker had a T10 in (maybe) '62. Some questions...does anyone specialize in speed parts such as cams, intakes, exhaust? What about dress up parts such as valve covers, valley cover, etc? What about stock pieces like oil fill tube, crank pulley, and t-stat housing (yes I need that stuff)? Also, I have seen some valve covers with 2 studs (like mine) and some w/ 4. What would determine what had what? I hope some of you are willing to pass on some knowledge. If you have any Ford questions, maybe we can trade answers! All I can say right now is I am digging just having it in the garage and it's fun to look at. It's also cool knowing I have probably the only Stude engine on the block!

Welcome to the Forum, Rod.
    It would be nice to see a Stude 289 in a '32 Ford. I don't have the books to help you here but others do and I'm sure you'll get some quick answers. The b is a 6 and the I is a 1. For some reason Studebaker always stamped the 1 as an I.

Do let us know what you decide to do with it

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Welcome to the Forum, Rod.
      It would be nice to see a Stude 289 in a '32 Ford. I don't have the books to help you here but others do and I'm sure you'll get some quick answers. The b is a 6 and the I is a 1. For some reason Studebaker always stamped the 1 as an I.

Do let us know what you decide to do with it

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

The engine number indicates that it is a 62 289 cu.in. Studebaker engine. Studebaker used T10 transmissions from 1961 to 1964.

All V8 engines had 4 studs in the valve cover until 1961, then they had two. There is a lot of equipment available (Although not as much as Ford) Here is a good place to start looking:

http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Leonard Shepherd
        http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

The engine number indicates that it is a 62 289 cu.in. Studebaker engine. Studebaker used T10 transmissions from 1961 to 1964.

All V8 engines had 4 studs in the valve cover until 1961, then they had two. There is a lot of equipment available (Although not as much as Ford) Here is a good place to start looking:

http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Leonard Shepherd
          http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

I too was a ford man until about 15 years ago that is. I'm now Stude Red White and Blue. It's just a wild guess, but I am guessing it's a 289 out of a 62 GT Hawk. Them dang Studes get in your blood and no known cure.
            But being a car nut have fun!

Ebon...

Comment

I too was a ford man until about 15 years ago that is. I'm now Stude Red White and Blue. It's just a wild guess, but I am guessing it's a 289 out of a 62 GT Hawk. Them dang Studes get in your blood and no known cure.
              But being a car nut have fun!

Ebon...

Comment

Rod with that Trans. date on it, I am pretty sure you have the early version Stude. T-10 with the C***y case! There should be a lower right hand side Trans mounting bolt way outboard of all the rest, requiring a special round boss cast into the modified bell housing casting to fit that very wide case. In late '62 they went to the Ford case Borg Warner, same T-10 inside.

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rod with that Trans. date on it, I am pretty sure you have the early version Stude. T-10 with the C***y case! There should be a lower right hand side Trans mounting bolt way outboard of all the rest, requiring a special round boss cast into the modified bell housing casting to fit that very wide case. In late '62 they went to the Ford case Borg Warner, same T-10 inside.

StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rod, where is the oil filter mounted? Early(before 1962?) V8s have a bypass filter that mounts on top of the engine. Later(during 1962?) V8s have a full flow oil filter that is mounted to the bottom rear of the engine block.

As far as the T-10 goes Studebaker used two different models. Like StudeRich said there are two different bolt patterns. There are also two different gear sets. As far as I know the Chevy pattern T-10 used a close ratio gear set with 2.20 1st gear. The Ford pattern T-10 used a wider gear set with 2.54 1st gear. To check just put yours in 1st and see how many times you have to turn it.

David

Comment

Rod, where is the oil filter mounted? Early(before 1962?) V8s have a bypass filter that mounts on top of the engine. Later(during 1962?) V8s have a full flow oil filter that is mounted to the bottom rear of the engine block.

As far as the T-10 goes Studebaker used two different models. Like StudeRich said there are two different bolt patterns. There are also two different gear sets. As far as I know the Chevy pattern T-10 used a close ratio gear set with 2.20 1st gear. The Ford pattern T-10 used a wider gear set with 2.54 1st gear. To check just put yours in 1st and see how many times you have to turn it.

David

Comment

ha this is a addicting thing i bought my first car 2 months ago and i now have 2... GOOD LUCK
                        mike

1936 Dictator
                        1959 Lark

Comment

ha this is a addicting thing i bought my first car 2 months ago and i now have 2... GOOD LUCK
                          mike

1936 Dictator
                          1959 Lark

Comment

I'd like to thank everyone for their help. That's one of the great things about the car hobby, no matter what, people are willing to help each other and share their knowledge. The bolt pattern on the trans looks pretty conventional to me. No obviously wider bolt location. The oil filter is mounted low at the back of the engine on the right side. As far as what I am going to do with it...it looks like it was made to go into a 32 Ford. That's the plan. Again, thanks to everyone and, since I plan on keeping it, I am sure we'll be in touch. I wonder though, would a Studebaker powered Ford qualify me as a Studebaker driver?

Comment

I'd like to thank everyone for their help. That's one of the great things about the car hobby, no matter what, people are willing to help each other and share their knowledge. The bolt pattern on the trans looks pretty conventional to me. No obviously wider bolt location. The oil filter is mounted low at the back of the engine on the right side. As far as what I am going to do with it...it looks like it was made to go into a 32 Ford. That's the plan. Again, thanks to everyone and, since I plan on keeping it, I am sure we'll be in touch. I wonder though, would a Studebaker powered Ford qualify me as a Studebaker driver?

Comment

Working...
                              X